Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR Metricon Liberty - Hampshire 45 QLD

Page 89 of 90
dulie
Hi all,

Been on the forums for a few months, getting great info and help from everyone's experiences. So I guess it's only fair to start sharing my journey.

We are building a Hampshire 45 with a few modifications. House will end up a bit over 50 in the end.

Our timeline so far....

Administration
26 April 2016 - Initial Deposit - $1500
26 June 2016 - Preliminary Contract Signed - $2500
21 July 2016 - Final Contract Signed and 5% Deposit.
22 August 2016 - Electricals and Titles
29 August 2016 - Studio M Selections
06 September 2016 - Existing House removed
09 September 2016 - Initial Studio M Variations received
20 September 2016 - Site Clean up -> Highly recommend: Total Asbestos Removal and Demolition
22 September 2016 - Studio M Selection Variations Signed (After 3 revisions from the initial)
24 September 2016 - CCTV Storm Water Drain Inspection -> Highly recommend: Pipe Hawk CCTV
12 October 2016 - Building Approval Received from Council

Construction
04 November 2016 - Official Site Start Date - Site Cut Done.
07 November 2016 - First Meeting with SM on site.
08 November 2016 - Bricks Delivered
12 November 2016 - Retaining Walls Started (Done by me over 2 weekends).
21 November 2016 - Retaining Walls Done
24 November 2016 - Under Slab Work Commenced, pipes etc.
28 November 2016 - Slab Prep Done. Waffle pads, steal mesh and Border.
29 November 2016 - Temp Fencing and Power Pole setup.
30 November 2016 - Slab Pour
08 December 2016 - Frames Delivered
13 December 2016 - Bottom floor frames up.
15 December 2016 - Top floor flooring done.
19 December 2016 - Frames complete.
20 December 2016 - Roof guttering installed.
21 December 2016 - Roof sarking installed.
22 December 2016 - Main Roof tiles laid.
10 January 2017 - Internal Plumbing
11 January 2017 - Delivery of windows and doors
12 January 2017 - Windows installed.
13 January 2017 - Front Door, garage rear and laundry doors installed.
14 January 2017 - Garage and Rear Lower Roof tiles installed.
16 January 2017 - House wrapped with blue stuff.
17 January 2017 - Internal electrical prep.
19 January 2017 - Stacker Doors installed, Gyprock delivered.
20 January 2017 - Insulation installed
21 January 2017 - Bricks started
24 January 2017 - Internal walls started
06 February 2017 - Internal Doors Delivered, Stairs Started
07 February 2017 - Window surroundings and internal doors installation. Electrical work. Stairs Completed.
08 February 2017 - Kitchen and bathroom cabinetry delivered.
09 February 2017 - Kitchen and bathroom cabinetry installed.
13 February 2017 - Top floor skirting complete. (Bottom floor cut and bundled for post hand over install after tiles)
15 February 2017 - Interior painting started.
16 February 2017 - Stone bench tops and sinks/basins installed.
20 February 2017 - Wet area tiling started.
01 March 2017 - Cladding and Eves installed. Also Bathroom accessories delivered.
02 March 2017 - Cladding painted.
03 March 2017 - Bathroom accessories installed.
05 March 2017 - Security sensors, cameras and other data related goodies installed
07 March 2017 - Internal electric fittings installed - light switches, power points etc
08 March 2017 - Facade rendering started.
09 March 2017 - Facade rendering complete.
10 March -> 31 March 2017 - Just touch ups and fixes.
04 April 2017 - PCI (Practical Completion Inspeciton)
08 May 2017 - Handover =D

Post Handover
12 May 2017 - Main floor tiling commenced
15 May 2017 - Garage floor epoxy
16 May 2017 - Block retaining walls, driveway and general concreting commenced
22 May 2017 - Main floor tiling complete
29 May 2017 - Concreting and walls complete
02 June 2017 - Timber fence either side installed.
07 June 2017 - Upstairs Carpet installed
14 June 2017 - Furniture and white goods deliveries
16 June 2017 - Curtains installed

Primary Residence
24 June 2017 - Moved in =D

Final Construction Plans

Major changes include:
Triple garage, with rear roller door and articulation for the 3rd spot
Increased outdoor area
2700mm Ground Floor
2550mm Top Floor
Various extra bulk heads
Top Floor changes to rooms, WIRs, bathroom, toilet locations
Power room instead of WIL
Delete Bath and have big shower instead
Top floor toilet added vanity cuboards and sink
Front pivot door 2340x1200
Stacker doors everywhere downstairs in lieu of windows, upgraded and rebated into slab
Remove door from WIP
2340mm High Internal/External/Stacker doors
Sink added to Pantry
Storage Under Stairs
Increased Kitchen Island Size 3000x1400 (largest slab with no join)

Hi Dulie,
Thank you so much for documenting the building journey, start to end. We have also chosen the Hampshire 45 and in process of working out the floorplan. Our land is short so we have to do some modifications. I love the mods that you have chosen! Its interesting to see what mods people have done, and helps a lot to think about what mods we can do to suit our lifestyle and size lot!
Just curious, what is the door panel that is in the WIR 4? The text has been cut off.
JTLav
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
Thank you so much for documenting the building journey, start to end. We have also chosen the Hampshire 45 and in process of working out the floorplan. Our land is short so we have to do some modifications. I love the mods that you have chosen! Its interesting to see what mods people have done, and helps a lot to think about what mods we can do to suit our lifestyle and size lot!
Just curious, what is the door panel that is in the WIR 4? The text has been cut off.
JTLav

You're most welcome.

It's a manhole to the lower roof space.

Good luck on your journey!
dulie
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
JTLav

You're most welcome.

Good to see you are still on the forum mate.
How's the house going ? Any issues with the M build after living in it for a few years now?

Renman
dulie
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
JTLav

You're most welcome.

How's the house going ? Any issues with the M build after living in it for a few years now?

Yes I would be most interested in that answer too. What would you have done different if you could turn back time?
dulie
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
JTLav

You're most welcome.

Thanks for still being around in the forums! It is most helpful.
How has those two WIR in the two bedrooms worked out for you? Have they been more useful than the mirror slide built ins? The upgrade pack that we bought includes mirror sliding door built ins so I am wondering which way to go! If I go with the doors then the WC can be put there and some space in the hallway can be saved.
JTLavs
dulie
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
JTLav

You're most welcome.

How has those two WIR in the two bedrooms worked out for you? Have they been more useful than the mirror slide built ins? The upgrade pack that we bought includes mirror sliding door built ins so I am wondering which way to go! If I go with the doors then the WC can be put there and some space in the hallway can be saved.

I know this question wasn't for me, but we have WIRs in each bedroom (they were in the original design) but the best thing we did was add a door to each one. Then the kids can put everything away and close the door - out of sight, even if it's a mess!
Renman

Yeah I still pop on now and then.
House is great, nothing really to complain about.
Haven't had any issues I couldn't deal with myself, so no contact with M what so ever.

I hope you're also enjoying your beautiful home. Bet it helps with these lockdowns, much more enjoyable in a nice house!
JTLavs

To be honest, I have no idea. No one lives in them rooms yet lol. (Both my kids are currently under 2).

But we wanted custom cabinetry for all our robes like the display homes anyways. So even if we had the normal style robe, we would have dropped the sliding mirrors and replaced it with cabinetry.

Link to pics...
viewtopic.php?p=1753715#p1753715
Yeah the custom cabinetry looks great and worth it.
Did Metricon provide any 3D renders of the exterior/interiors when colours were chosen/any physical changes made?
JTLavs
Yeah the custom cabinetry looks great and worth it.
Did Metricon provide any 3D renders of the exterior/interiors when colours were chosen/any physical changes made?

Nope, they didn't provide and renders at all.
We got this picture on the front of our colour selections summary docusign doc:

viewtopic.php?p=1834174#p1834174

It shows the main render colour, feature render colour, front door, window frames, roof tiles, garage door and other features as selected. It looks pretty much like this in person.
dulie
Renman

Yeah I still pop on now and then.
House is great, nothing really to complain about.
Haven't had any issues I couldn't deal with myself, so no contact with M what so ever.

I hope you're also enjoying your beautiful home. Bet it helps with these lockdowns, much more enjoyable in a nice house!
We can't imagine what it will be like being in Melb lockdown in our hold house.

So glad we finished the build and landscaping and got to enjoy it now.

Hi Renman and Dulie,
Did you guys upgrade the windows and doors at Studio M stage?
JTLavs

----
Renman
dulie
Whoops I miss read your question, yeah the windows should be the standard 3mm, just my stacker doors are 5mm thick.

I was that the standard for all doors and windows are 3mm.

Even thou we upgrade our windows and slider doors we are still getting 3mm.
JTLavs
Hi Renman and Dulie,
JTLavs

----

Hey mate,

Yup these can be selected from studio M.
JTLavs
Hi Renman and Dulie,
JTLavs

----
Renman
dulie
Whoops I miss read your question, yeah the windows should be the standard 3mm, just my stacker doors are 5mm thick.

I was that the standard for all doors and windows are 3mm.

Even thou we upgrade our windows and slider doors we are still getting 3mm.
Yes.

Selected the 300 series windows with double glazed for the whole house.

Doors were taller to suit the high ceilings and wider to better access when moving.

r_13

It shows the main render colour, feature render colour, front door, window frames, roof tiles, garage door and other features as selected. It looks pretty much like this in person.

r_13,
That's great. Was that image provided after being at StudioM?

The selections guide is now on the website:
https://www.metricon.com.au/studio-m-selections-guide

Was it there before? I swear it wasn't there before! It's helpful anyway. Even though it says in the brochure that there are a few hours on average for each part, do we have to select the colours then and there? Im waiting for my StudioM appointment and wondering what I can do in the mean time as it takes some time for me to choose things! We will build the Hampshire 45 with Lodge facade, and will probably go for similar colours in the example image, a lighter version if possible.
JTLavs
r_13

r_13,
That's great. Was that image provided after being at StudioM?

The selections guide is now on the website:
https://www.metricon.com.au/studio-m-selections-guide

Was it there before? I swear it wasn't there before! It's helpful anyway. Even though it says in the brochure that there are a few hours on average for each part, do we have to select the colours then and there? Im waiting for my StudioM appointment and wondering what I can do in the mean time as it takes some time for me to choose things! We will build the Hampshire 45 with Lodge facade, and will probably go for similar colours in the example image, a lighter version if possible.

I have used the guide to consider few options.. in fact I even downloaded the VIC guide to explore few variations..

Looks like we are at the same stage !! Good Luck
Thank you!
How is your build going? Our process is pretty slow. Going to kitchen and electricals appointment tomorrow and pretty nervous. Yeah I ended up getting no 3D render of the external colours of my house after selection. I asked if we get one and she said that it'll cost about $1.5k for it so very lucky for you guys to get it if you did!
The selections guide online ended up being outdated for some items so FYI on that. With the appliances they said you can pick what Reece has and they'll source it, but I'm unsure about tiles and carpet (this is in Sydney)?
Hi Dulie,
Just curious - what were the 3 revisions that you guys did after Studio M?
JTLavs
Hi Dulie,
Just curious - what were the 3 revisions that you guys did after Studio M?

Just getting all the changes right. Depending on the amount of changes you make, there's a good chance it will be lost in translation from you to the consultant to the draft team etc. And every time it goes a full circle, it burns few weeks.

It's a very poor process, long and tedious.
Related
28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

21/09/2023
KDR - Home Equity Loan vs Construction Loan

Home Finance

The biggest challenge will be if you take out a loan and then run out of money - you'll have an incomplete security and lenders do not like this so you can get stuck.…

21/09/2023
KDR - Looking for feedback on Kialla Homes

Building A New House

Hi, I am looking into doing a KDR in Melbourne and am contemplating using Kialla Homes. I am looking for feedback on them from others who have built with them.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum