Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

We are building VANCOUVER 33 with PORTER DAVIS

Page 17 of 19
nikil
Sgene85
Nikki haha. I called council today. They received the application today! grrr. They said ours is a pretty straight forward application because its a new estate and no existing neighbours.. They hope to approve dispensation within the next 1-2 weeks. It better be this week.

Ooh a fireplace! I'd love a fireplace in our lounge room. Is it expensive?

We are planning to do one post handover as our PD sales consultant said it will be much cheaper as PD charge way to much to do it!

Yes do it post! i remember getting prices for the units through PD that were crazy. Like 15k
We paid about $2300 for the firebox and privisions to be installed. So they do all the hard work getting the gas line there.
We then had PD build the frame to suit our chosen unit so upon installation all the guy had to do was cut the plaster , connect and slide it in..
In saying that though there were a few install places that told me they may have to re plaster any gaps, of which i then had to have a plasterer come in, rediculas ( becasue they have to cut a bigger opening) I just called around till i found someone who was good enough not to have to do that. I think install cost $1000
and the unit we ended up buying was approx $5300.
We had a price war with two difference places and their intial prices were almost $7K so its worth pushing them.
Here is a photo. Not great visual to see just big big the room actually is,but you get the idea. This is in our formal lounge of which we made bigger than the 33
So glad we did, becasue our house is longer than wider and it created the perfect amount of room for two large couches.
Friends that visit absolutely love this room.
Looks amazing! I'm just dying for the email with a site start date! We are Renting on the same street as our block so I'll be checking it daily

nikil
Looks amazing! I'm just dying for the email with a site start date! We are Renting on the same street as our block so I'll be checking it daily

I think for us it took two weeks to get our final letter of start before anything actually started. Dw its coming!!
I'll be checking my emails every hour until it arrives

The fireplace looks beautiful Liz. Perfect place to hang out on a chilly Melbourne day!

No news from our end, still waiting for dispensation approval....
We are still waiting too sgene, had an issue today with our bc emailing to say we need to organise crushed rock for the driveway area asap! I got so annoyed, firstly why hasn't this been mentioned before now and secondly why isn't this included in our $40k + site costs. She wouldn't answer her phone (even though she was emailing me at the same time). I responded saying I want a response to this as a matter or urgency, alternatively have your manager call me. I got no reply. I'll be calling first thing in the morning to speak to someone above her.

That's frustrating Nikki. I can definitely say that PD have lost a step with regards to staying on top of things. Its exactly the reason why we applied for a dispensation because of their lack of due diligence. Fingers crossed things start moving for both our Vancouvers.
Sgene85
The fireplace looks beautiful Liz. Perfect place to hang out on a chilly Melbourne day!

No news from our end, still waiting for dispensation approval....

thank you!

what a bummer, how much longer have they said?
Still waiting for council. I rang council today, they said my application is 3rd in line.. So hopefully we get the approval by end of the week / early next week.

I've lost the spark, it will probably come back when I see changes to our block and finally start building.
How annoying!! I would love to get inside the planning office and see if anyone is actually working!!

We haven't had any further updates, still waiting for a start date and site supervisor. They said it would be before the end of August so they better hurry up!

Guys arrived at 6.30 this morning, our site cut in finally happening!

Wohoo! How exciting! Congratulations Nikki!
Nice one Nikil, hope your neighbors were cool with the 6:30am start!
No neighbours on one side and the other side are so lovely and exciting for us to start, it was after 7.30 before they even unloaded the digger they were measuring and marking things first.

Wonder if they will be there doing something today. Stupid job is getting in the way of my block stalking!

nikil
No neighbours on one side and the other side are so lovely and exciting for us to start, it was after 7.30 before they even unloaded the digger they were measuring and marking things first.

Wonder if they will be there doing something today. Stupid job is getting in the way of my block stalking!

That's handy then!

Hmm, maybe you need to get a wireless webcam or something like the Arlo camera system and you could watch it all day long!
Hurrow
nikil

That's handy then!

Hmm, maybe you need to get a wireless webcam or something like the Arlo camera system and you could watch it all day long!

That's certainly a better idea than quitting my job!

Just received notification from my BC that the dispensation application has been formally approved by our council. Fingers crossed for a site start this month. Wohoo! Have a good Friday everyone!
Sgene85
Just received notification from my BC that the dispensation application has been formally approved by our council. Fingers crossed for a site start this month. Wohoo! Have a good Friday everyone!

Yay!!! Finally! Happy Friday 🥂

Hi Guys. I have read through this thread and gleaned a number of ideas from you all.
We have paid our deposit as of last night for our Vancouver 33 with PD.
Our land wont title until next year, so we will be forced to play a lengthy waiting game until the build eventually starts.
Congrats on your site start nikil. Hope the build goes smoothly.
Thanks Ryan, we were held up a bit by the council and now by the rain, hopefully the good weather decides to come to the party soon.

Have you been to WOS yet? Or visited many of the display Vancouver homes. Definitely recommend going to see them as we got some ideas from the display homes. There was one we saw (after we had done our selections unfortunately) where we saw something we definitely would have added had we seen it before. We didn't even know it was an option. It was the ceiling in the activity room at the Werribee display.

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum