Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Builder referee questions

Page 1 of 1
We're currently selecting a builder and are up to referee (current/former client) checks.

Does anybody have any good questions that we should be asking the referees? Especially any "wish we'd asked that in hindsight" questions?

Also, apart from the questions themselves, is there anything that we should be paying special attention to when checking, or any responses to watch out for?
Time of build.
Relations with site supervisor.
Problems encountered during build.
Cost of variations/ site works reasonable.
Would you Build with this builder again?

On a lighter note many years ago I was seeking references for a civil engineering contractor for a multi million dollar project.
One reference came back with low scores for all the questions that I asked but the answer to the "Anything else" questions was a classic . . . . It was: "It is a measure of this contractors total incompetence that he suggested me as a referee!"
Needless to say Bashworth, I bet you didn't use him ???

Stewie
That was one application that went straight in the bin!
Thanks for the tips - hopefully, we won't get any responses quite like that one

(Mind you, maybe if we did, it'd make the decision easier
The most important question is that of referees absolute independence from the builder.
Watch out for hesitation when you ask questions.
I would ask about communication and responsiveness, it's the most frustrating thing dealing with my builder, but everyone I asked about them thought they were brill. Hoping it means my build will be of good quality.. even if I never know what's happening.
Related
2/09/2023
Questions to ask a builder before you begin?

Building A New House

Ardo That is so funny! I wonder how many people know who Larry Haun is these days. I have a couple of young guys we call Mo 1 & Mo 2 who run a crew of 6 boys and…

18/09/2023
General questions about building before I go to my builder

Building A New House

You should check your detail drawings, it may show downpipe within brick pier.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum