Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Colour questions?

Page 10 of 20
Michelle
petermdn
Hi Michelle,

I would really appreciate if you can assist with colour selections for 3 units I am building with front elevations shown below.

The options I am considering are:

Roof - Basalt
Gutters - Basalt
Fascia - Basalt
Garage doors - NO...timber look as in Render below.
Facade - Ghosting full for the 3 Units
Piers - Render - Basalt
Windows - aluminium ultra silver
Doors - timber with glass slats (possibly horizontal slats units 1 & 3 and vertical slats unit 2)

As the units are narrow I am thinking lighter colours on the facade would work best and I want to try and use colour to enhance the impression of width.

Also do you think it would be best to keep all units the same colour or possibly with unit 2 having a slight contrast to the others?

I am open to any suggestions you may have and appreciate your help.

Hi Peter,

I see unit 2 has a different front window, this looks good and is probably all you need to mix it up with the 3 units.

See above in your post for my colour reply.

Hi Michelle, thanks for your reply. Out of interest why do you prefer the full strength ghosting over a slightly lighter shade such as half strength ghosting or surfmist? Also what are your thoughts on having surfmist garage doors for units 1 & 3 and timber look garage door for the middle unit?
Michelle
Anyone with a colour questions?

Hi Michelle,

The front elevation of the house we are building has a Basalt roof and panelift garage door, a stained wood front door, silver windows and the entire front of the house will be rendered.

We would like a light colour, possibly Surfmist, but Iโ€™m concerned it might be too white.

I have seen a house that has the colour render we would like. Do you have any idea what this colour may be, or suggest a colour that is very similar?

Thx heaps ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bebbsy
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

The front elevation of the house we are building has a Basalt roof and panelift garage door, a stained wood front door, silver windows and the entire front of the house will be rendered.

We would like a light colour, possibly Surfmist, but Iโ€™m concerned it might be too white.

I have seen a house that has the colour render we would like. Do you have any idea what this colour may be, or suggest a colour that is very similar?

Thx heaps ๐Ÿ˜‰

That house has a shadow on it, to me that is Surfmist as the main render colour!
petermdn
Michelle
petermdn
Hi Michelle,

I would really appreciate if you can assist with colour selections for 3 units I am building with front elevations shown below.

Roof - Basalt
Gutters - Basalt
Fascia - Basalt
Piers - Render - Basalt
Doors - timber with glass slats (possibly horizontal slats units 1 & 3 and vertical slats unit 2)

As the units are narrow I am thinking lighter colours on the facade would work best and I want to try and use colour to enhance the impression of width.

Also do you think it would be best to keep all units the same colour or possibly with unit 2 having a slight contrast to the others?

Hi Peter,

I see unit 2 has a different front window, this looks good and is probably all you need to mix it up with the 3 units.

Hi Michelle, thanks for your reply. Out of interest why do you prefer the full strength ghosting over a slightly lighter shade such as half strength ghosting or surfmist? Also what are your thoughts on having surfmist garage doors for units 1 & 3 and timber look garage door for the middle unit?

Your frontage is slim, you need a colour with depth to go with the garage doors, or it could too look washed out.
My advice is to keep all the garage doors timber. You need a connection with the 3 units. It will look good!!
petermdn
Michelle
petermdn
Hi Michelle,

Roof - Basalt
Gutters - Basalt
Fascia - Basalt
Piers - Render - Basalt

Hi Peter,

Thanks Michelle, that makes sense
. Do you think it is best to keep the fascia colour the same as the roof and gutters or possibly make it the same colour as the facade (eg. ghosting)? As there is no wall above the garage door I wasn't sure if a lighter colour fascia would look better to create some separation between the garage door and the roof/gutters.
Just so the new members know....I'm a colour expert and building consultant.
Do you have a question? Please don't make it the whole of your house. I only have so much free time.

Michelle
Bebbsy
Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thx heaps ๐Ÿ˜‰

That house has a shadow on it, to me that is Surfmist as the main render colour!

Thx Michelle, thatโ€™s what I was hoping.
What is best color for outside of the custom home ?
Hello Michelle
Have just discovered this forum. Cannot decide on interior colour combinations for painting work to start soon on kitchen, lounge, dining open area in 1950s house in Brisbane. This is the renovated area at the back of the house. This is what I posted elsewhere. Starting to wonder if we really will feel comfortable with white walls! :

We have had warm yellow with darker yellow trim in living areas for too many years. This space is at the back of a north facing house in Brisbane. Now replacing cedar blinds in dining area with white shutters and repainting kitchen, dining, lounge areas in whites (or neutrals) to brighten the place up. The suggested trim that matches the Thermalite shutters is Dulux Lexicon, but really want a warmer white for walls. But can you combine Lexicon with a warm white like Antique White USA? Even Antique White looks way too white on test spot for me, but maybe we are just used to more colour. Have dark reddish granite on kitchen benches and splashbacks, laminate cupboards in a neutral colour that has pinkish undertones, vinyl tiles on floors in kitchen and dining area, timber floors in lounge and lots of timber furniture and variety of artwork on all walls, cedar French doors to outside courtyard.

Is antique white too white? And can you combine it with Lexicon window trims, doors and door frames and Lexicon Quarter for ceilings?

Painting next week before shutters installed!
Thank you for your help.
Hi Michelle
I have a recent build and I am just not happy with the facade colour in the end. I am looking to make some changes but I won't touch the garage door, facia, gutter, roof, windows. The render, cladding, feature post and possibly the front door are all up for changes where required.

The current scheme is:

Not being changed:
Roof: Barramundi
Gutter: Monument
Facia: Surfmist
Garage Door: Surfmist
Windows: Surfmist
Soffits: Surfmist

For Review:
Render: Taubmans Grey Wolf
Cladding: Taubmans Going Grey
Timber Feature Post: Surfmist
Front Door: Surfmist

One proposal:
Render: Surfmist
Cladding: Basalt
Timber Feature Post: Basalt
Front Door: Basalt
Timber Window Trim: Surfmist

Alternatively an easier (and less expensive) option is just the render and cladding could be painted different shades of grey similar to this render/picture (if you can pick the actual Taubmans colours). My best guess is Basalt and Taubmans Stormy Shadow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry everyone....busy few days.

I'll try and get in over the next couple of days to reply to questions.
ardesign
What is best color for outside of the custom home ?

This is an open question....many colours suit.

Somanywhites
Hello Michelle
Have just discovered this forum. Cannot decide on interior colour combinations for painting work to start soon on kitchen, lounge, dining open area in 1950s house in Brisbane. This is the renovated area at the back of the house. This is what I posted elsewhere. Starting to wonder if we really will feel comfortable with white walls! :

We have had warm yellow with darker yellow trim in living areas for too many years. This space is at the back of a north facing house in Brisbane. Now replacing cedar blinds in dining area with white shutters and repainting kitchen, dining, lounge areas in whites (or neutrals) to brighten the place up. The suggested trim that matches the Thermalite shutters is Dulux Lexicon, but really want a warmer white for walls. But can you combine Lexicon with a warm white like Antique White USA? Even Antique White looks way too white on test spot for me, but maybe we are just used to more colour. Have dark reddish granite on kitchen benches and splashbacks, laminate cupboards in a neutral colour that has pinkish undertones, vinyl tiles on floors in kitchen and dining area, timber floors in lounge and lots of timber furniture and variety of artwork on all walls, cedar French doors to outside courtyard.

Is antique white too white? And can you combine it with Lexicon window trims, doors and door frames and Lexicon Quarter for ceilings?

Painting next week before shutters installed!
Thank you for your help.

Are you still needing help??

DanC
Hi Michelle
I have a recent build and I am just not happy with the facade colour in the end. I am looking to make some changes but I won't touch the garage door, facia, gutter, roof, windows. The render, cladding, feature post and possibly the front door are all up for changes where required.

The current scheme is:

Not being changed:

For Review:

One proposal:

Alternatively an easier (and less expensive) option is just the render and cladding could be painted different shades of grey similar to this render/picture (if you can pick the actual Taubmans colours). My best guess is Basalt and Taubmans Stormy Shadow.

I have a quick and easy fix....

Render: Basalt
Cladding: Surfmist
Front Door: Monument
Timber Window Trim: Basalt

Now look at your landscaping to really make an impact!

Michelle
DanC
Hi Michelle

The current scheme is:

Not being changed:

For Review:

One proposal:

Thanks Michelle, I really appreciate your input!!
Hi Michelle, using this house as a blank canvas, what changes would you suggest making to the colour scheme to make it as attractive as possible (including any changes to the garage door and roof colours) assuming the same overall facade design. Really appreciate your input. Thanks, Peter

petermdn
Hi Michelle, using this house as a blank canvas, what changes would you suggest making to the colour scheme to make it as attractive as possible (including any changes to the garage door and roof colours) assuming the same overall facade design. Really appreciate your input. Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter, hope this helps. You don't really need to do that much colour wise. That's Monument on the front of the render columns. That's about it, just some clever dressing to the front facade.

Hi Michelle,
It would be great if you can helps me to decided a color for my house front facade.
Roof is Barramundi
Gutters and garage door is Monument
Window frame is white pearls
Front door is Black Japan
I was thinking of Basalt render for the facade but afraid it's going to be a bit dark..so wanted to change to Taubman Stormy Shadow. Is there a colour you would recommend for the colour scheme i currently have. Thank you so much.
DanC
Michelle
DanC
Hi Michelle

The current scheme is:

Not being changed:

For Review:

One proposal:

Thanks Michelle, I really appreciate your input!!

Hi Michelle
Just an update, I took on board your suggestion however due to desperately trying to contain cost decided to only change the render (Basalt) and cladding (Stormy Shadow) saving a few hundred. Pretty happy with the difference the simple change made.

Hi Michelle
Need ur advice regarding render color
Window and garage door is Jasper
Brick is austral access ash
I need anther light render color go with jasper
Thinking between Dulux linseed and colorbond paperbark ?
Related
13/09/2023
decoration and colour questions

Interior Decorating Lounge

Thanks for that! Yeah, I was thinking timber front door.

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

23/05/2023
Demolition Questions

Building A New House

We had this happen to us last year and got charged a variation. Try and give away as much as you can that is usable to charity otherwise if you are in Sydney I have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum