Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Things to fix before handover

Page 1 of 1
Hi. We are 2 wks from handover. Building coral daydream 28 in qld. Now there are a few things that need to be touched up before handover which is fine.

But there are a few things thats really buggin my mrs. Things she was lookn forward too and during our walk thru all the builder could say is. Nothings ever perfect and it will be virtually impossible to rectify the problems at hand.

I didnt think much of it being a male but these things have really put a bad taste in her mouth.

Splashback
We have feature tiles and a mirrored feature in the middle going all the way thru. There are cracks in the mirrored feature and the grout lines are fat and skinny. Also the tiles are cut around the cabinets horribly. Un even cuts and when they seal it the seal lines are going to look really bad. Supervisors say its impossible to fix even tho we just spent half a million dollars to him and the conpany.

Next is our ceasarstone island bench. Its long about 4.5m. They have had to join to benchtops together to make it that length but the did the join direcrly where everyone will eat and see it. Instead of disguising it where the sink goes. When u spend big money u think the workmans ship will be second to none.

Anyways the mrs is writing a complaint to be fixed to the cons manager and well c how we go.

Mite seem minor to some but its the little workman ship errors that bother us the most. The common sense stuff youd think the workers would do.

Has any1 had probs that the SS wouldnt fix and they went higher? Did they fix your problems in the end? What was the outcome?

Not degrading the company we went with just need someinsight and help. I understand **** happens lol

With the splashback, do you have any photos of it? If it's cracked then it sounds like they should fix it. The workmanship of the grouting and the cuts around the cabinets sound like they should be looked into. Hard to appreciate the level of detail without any photos.

With the stone benchtops, I know some builders have you sign disclaimer forms for things like the joins in the stone, and the possibility of scratching surfaces of high gloss finishes and such. Have you checked your contract or kitchen selection details for anything such as this? At 4.5m they of course have to put a join somewhere, but they might have had a good reason to put it on the solid part rather than where the sink cuts would be.

Make sure you have photos, and try escalate the issues with strongly worded but polite correspondence with the builder.
Oh no, I really hope they help you and fix these things for you. I remember when we had our kitchen renovated years ago, they even told me where the join would be in the bench top and asked if it would be ok. I have no advice but I do agree with you and your wife. Those things would bug the crap out of me. Just a silly question though, do stone masons still fit these bench tops or do the kitchen makers do it these days. I wonder if you can find out who installed it and hit them up for background info on what their policy is. Just in case it was an honest mistake .. Wishful thinking here lol. Good luck

Our Acreage Build

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=82619
Im with flossy. I cant offer advice unfortunately except that those things would be major enough for me to escalate it as well.
Im not sure flossy. Yeh thanks guys.. she really not happy. And shes an easy going lady. Well see what happens

Good news. Cons manager going to order a new ceasarstone and new tiles for splash back.. he agrees bad wrkmanship. And we just gta wait on beaumont tiles to admite manu fact fault with mirror feature and thatll be replaced too.. awesome outcome no questions asked.

vijaytee1
Good news. Cons manager going to order a new ceasarstone and new tiles for splash back.. he agrees bad wrkmanship. And we just gta wait on beaumont tiles to admite manu fact fault with mirror feature and thatll be replaced too.. awesome outcome no questions asked.

So relieved for you both well done
Related
6/02/2024
How to fix improperly secured rainhead?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

If the railhead is so poorly fixed it is also likely that the railhead is also non compliant, what about overflows and sealing railhead to the gutters?.

29/07/2023
ceiling dampness: determining source and fix

General Discussion

What heating/cooling are you using.

1/09/2023
Things can be done after construction.

Building A New House

Depends what you're current inclusions are, but we're not including wardrobes and will just use second hand ones until we can save later on to get them built. Also have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum