Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

B & D's First build with HGWA

Page 9 of 17
dee13
Hgwa_landsdale_
How exciting. We should have brick work start next week. So shouldn't be too far behind you guys.

How small do the slabs look?! They're so deceiving, all I could think was "how on earth is my bed going to fit?!"

Omg yes!!! Me and my partner went to the display home the other week and when we saw our slab we were like this is definitely a lot smaller. King bed and bedsides will be a tight fit I think.

Not even going to lie...I nearly went back to the display with a measuring tape to check that it's the size they say it is

Follow our HGWA build in Baldivis @ viewtopic.php?t=83352&f=31&p=1604334#p1604334
Hgwa_landsdale_
dee13
Hgwa_landsdale_
How exciting. We should have brick work start next week. So shouldn't be too far behind you guys.

How small do the slabs look?! They're so deceiving, all I could think was "how on earth is my bed going to fit?!"

Omg yes!!! Me and my partner went to the display home the other week and when we saw our slab we were like this is definitely a lot smaller. King bed and bedsides will be a tight fit I think.

I think so too, I closed in one of the wardrobe doors, to make sure there was a bit of extra length to fit
I have to keep trying to visualise the display home and telling myself that's our house plus extra square footage because we extended the house so I know it's not small but think the slab looks so much smaller too Dee!

Went to the house yesterday to find there was something wrong in the drawings that I've completely missed
there is two return walls either side of my ensuite cabinet (when I originally drew what we wanted it to look like, these weren't there) wonder what my chances are of getting them knocked down

Follow our HGWA build in Baldivis @ viewtopic.php?t=83352&f=31&p=1604334#p1604334

It's worth asking dee

They're looking into it for me
fingers crossed.... I have to say, whether it can be changed or not, HG have always been so fantastic with any problem that we've ever had, they have always taken the time to try and fix things & find a solution, rather than just say no. I've read some horror stories on here, but glad it's been relatively smooth so far

excellent for you may want to look at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ShonkyBuildersWA/

and ensure you get things right each time, HGWA don't have good reputation
I recently spoke to a building inspector, that said don't believe half the stuff you read on that page. I feel terrible for people that have a bad experience building, but I really believe you'll hear good and bad stories about any builder (my parents built with National Homes, upgraded everything, spent an absolute fortune & had an absolute nightmare, their tradies workmanship was awful ) I'm just grateful, we've had a pretty good experience so far, fingers crossed it continues

Wooo! So we came to a compromise (unfortunately a really expensive one
).... they have offered to drop the nib walls down to half the height. So they will be tiled black & the wall behind will be white marble hexagon tiles

oh wow.. good outcome.. expensive ??

Why they couldn't just take the walls off altogetherr ?
Yea, I'm pretty surprised, they're so strict on no changes during construction & they had every right to say no. It was a mistake that we didn't pick up on and we had signed off on the drawings.
They need to keep some to hold up the wall behind it, which is fair enough.

They're actually only charging us $500, for the drawing & electrical changes & return of the bricklayer... It's the extra mosaic tiles that is the main cost
it's another $3000, but it's got to be done, so fingers crossed it looks ok so it's worth it .

dee13
Yea, I'm pretty surprised, they're so strict on no changes during construction & they had every right to say no. It was a mistake that we didn't pick up on and we had signed off on the drawings.
They need to keep some to hold up the wall behind it, which is fair enough.

They're actually only charging us $500, for the drawing & electrical changes & return of the bricklayer... It's the extra mosaic tiles that is the main cost
it's another $3000, but it's got to be done, so fingers crossed it looks ok so it's worth it .

Glad you got it somewhat fixed that your half happy with!
I'm sure the tiles will look amazing!

Glad you got it sorted dee, I'm sure it will look great! That marble tile is absolutely stunning ?
jesss_g
Glad you got it sorted dee, I'm sure it will look great! That marble tile is absolutely stunning

thanks Jess, I hope so!

Make sure you question anything you don't think is right...we noticed these when the slab went down & stupidly assumed they were something to do with power points as they were near the same spots (this is just one of them) They're actually plumbing prelay pipes that we've been told "Unfortunately from time to time these are slightly off set, however will be cut back after the plumbing/ electrical tube out has been completed and will be plastered over accordingly." Lol apparently slightly off set means, in another room, in the middle of a freestanding wall in our wardrobe, where there is no plumbing?
and plastering over them is ok? They're all cracked and not even sealed. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for them to be cut and filled properly & then have the bricks replaced, or we'll end up with moisture in the wall

Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum