Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Handover Process - What are the steps involved?

Page 1 of 1
Our builder has provided us with the Certificate of Occupancy application form to sign. However, when we went to our house last week, there was still electrical work, some paint, flooring that needs to be done so in my opinion it is not yet at ‘practical completion’.

We wish to engage a private inspector to go over the house and identify defects and have the builder accept the defects as items that they will need to rectify.

I am aware that it takes up to two weeks for the Certificate of Occupancy is processed as our local building authority will need to do their own inspection etc, which is probably why they want to submit the form now. Where do I go from here?

The Certificate of Occupancy application states that as the owner, I should not sign it unless I am satisfied that the building work and other contract requirements have been completed.

What steps have other people gone through during a new construction handover?
Related
22/06/2023
7 Steps - For a successful building project

Renovation + Home Improvement

Following these simple steps will help you mitigate unwanted costs, have your expectations met and give…

20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum