Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Alkimos Aveling first timers!

Page 6 of 8
That's so exciting Zoe! We have had some setbacks with our render turning out purple instead of brown and other stupid mistakes being made! You are now a head of us ;P

emzz
How exciting Zoe! Hopefully everything runs smoothly for you on the day.

We had hardly any issues at our inspection besides from the little things here and there. Key pick up is booked in for next Thursday and I cannot wait!!

Oh how exciting!!
Nyan
That's so exciting Zoe! We have had some setbacks with our render turning out purple instead of brown and other stupid mistakes being made! You are now a head of us ;P

Oh no! Why purple, is it the light or have they used the wrong colour?
ZoePerth
Nyan

They say they have used the right colour and it is the light, but I really don't believe them. They think painting over it will fix it. It is meant to be a brown but now we are hearing conflicting stories - interior designer who advised us says it is a brown with purple in it, yet solver paints say it is a purple. We wanted brown to match the interior colours and are fighting them to get it fixed.

Nyan
ZoePerth
Nyan

They say they have used the right colour and it is the light, but I really don't believe them. They think painting over it will fix it. It is meant to be a brown but now we are hearing conflicting stories - interior designer who advised us says it is a brown with purple in it, yet solver paints say it is a purple. We wanted brown to match the interior colours and are fighting them to get it fixed.

What's it called? It's so hard picking colours if you can't see them. I picked mine off a photo of someone's render I found on this thread based on a solver sample card. I was looking for a grey brown for a darker section and the worry I have with grey is it can look blue. I hope you can get it fixed up
Had a final external site clean up today where very kindly they've almost levelled a biggish slope that we were having a landscaper retain into a gentle slope that we will deal with maybe without nearly as much retaining
And look at the blue skies! Spring is finally turning sunny!
So PCI was yesterday. I thought I was observant, it seems I am not! Admittedly I was only there an hour and our awesome inspector was there for 4. He found so many little cosmetic things, not all things that I would worry about too much but I think just shows the value in having that set of eyes. One thing he found was some leaking around the pipes into the roof from the solar hot water panels. We are required to have these as part of the 6star energy rating achieved for Alkimos Beach estate. Our current rental has the same issue which has caused leaking into the kitchen ceiling during heavy rain, leaving a big black stain. Not good. So definitely want that fixed but not sure how long sealing around metal pipes carrying hot water on a metal roof with long hot summers will last. Will have to remember that moving forward and send my man up into the roof every year to check it.
Anyway so funds have been paid, inspector's report sent to the builders and our insurance policy starts Monday. So maybe keys next week depending on how long the bits we want fixed up take.
One thing our inspector did say was how good they are finding Aveling builds. They said they're generally built to a very high standard and what issues they do find Aveling are easy to deal with and attend to. This is exactly what we have found during the process with them and we are so lucky to have had such a good supervisor.
I am meant to be packing a few things tonight but instead I've had a couple of vodkas and watched crap on the TV, other half is working. Partay 😂
Yay

Good to hear that there weren't too many issues.

Not long to go before you get keys to your beautiful home

ZoePerth
So PCI was yesterday. I thought I was observant, it seems I am not! Admittedly I was only there an hour and our awesome inspector was there for 4. He found so many little cosmetic things, not all things that I would worry about too much but I think just shows the value in having that set of eyes. One thing he found was some leaking around the pipes into the roof from the solar hot water panels. We are required to have these as part of the 6star energy rating achieved for Alkimos Beach estate. Our current rental has the same issue which has caused leaking into the kitchen ceiling during heavy rain, leaving a big black stain. Not good. So definitely want that fixed but not sure how long sealing around metal pipes carrying hot water on a metal roof with long hot summers will last. Will have to remember that moving forward and send my man up into the roof every year to check it.
Anyway so funds have been paid, inspector's report sent to the builders and our insurance policy starts Monday. So maybe keys next week depending on how long the bits we want fixed up take.
One thing our inspector did say was how good they are finding Aveling builds. They said they're generally built to a very high standard and what issues they do find Aveling are easy to deal with and attend to. This is exactly what we have found during the process with them and we are so lucky to have had such a good supervisor.
I am meant to be packing a few things tonight but instead I've had a couple of vodkas and watched crap on the TV, other half is working. Partay 😂

It sounds like you are really happy with your inspector. I will definately be contacting him for a quote now that i know of your good experience with him. Thanks for the recomendation you gave me previously

Nyan
ZoePerth

It sounds like you are really happy with your inspector. I will definately be contacting him for a quote now that i know of your good experience with him. Thanks for the recomendation you gave me previously

Yes Nyan they have been excellent at every stage. If I built again I'd definitely use them. We just don't know enough about building and it's such a massive cost that I think it totally makes sense to pay less than 1% of your build cost for inspections at each stage to make sure it's to a good standard. Glad you will use them too, they have been great to deal with 😃
Great news that PCI went well and you had no major issues. How exciting to receive your keys soon. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Stilettos & Bricks, our Building Journey blog - http://stilettosbricks.com
Our Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85183
Site supervisor was at the house first thing Saturday fixing up the bits and pieces. And the sparky came today to shift a power point closer to the HWS.

Picking up keys Thursday morning!! 💙
WOOHOO for keys. I'm 41 hours till key handover

spuddles76

Oh yay awesome! A good week x
How exciting ZoePerth & Spuddles

Stilettos & Bricks, our Building Journey blog - http://stilettosbricks.com
Our Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85183

Yay for keys yesterday!

So our lovely painter friend was meant to start sealing today, only he fell on Tuesday and is now injured, poor bloke. So randomly the boys and my partner's bjj instructor is now starting it on Sunday, he's a painter by trade but has a MMA gym and does panel beating. I did say it was random! Had my regular sparky come today and we discussed exterior LED lighting and security sensor lights to be fitted so that's being done on Monday. Can't afford to do the inside lights yet so we will see how we are after all the extra paving and pool fences etc are done. Whilst in Beacon getting two nice security sensor lights (got one functional none pretty one from Bunnings) I saw some gorgeous pendants that I love and obviously one I loved was almost the most expensive one at $800! So that can stay there lol.
spuddles76

You got yours ok Spuddles? I seem to have lost several threads and they aren't showing on my feed anymore.
ZoePerth
spuddles76

You got yours ok Spuddles? I seem to have lost several threads and they aren't showing on my feed anymore.
got our keys on Wednesday. Prepped yesterday for painting, and started today.
I guesstimated 6 days, but it may take longer.

spuddles76
ZoePerth
spuddles76

got our keys on Wednesday. Prepped yesterday for painting, and started today.
I guesstimated 6 days, but it may take longer.

Oh good luck! Taking our guy the week I think. Pig of a job
Related
9/04/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

Looks like they are still building.....

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum