Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Alkimos Aveling first timers!

Page 1 of 8
After the usual long waiting, waiting, paperwork waiting timeline we are now just starting construction! Our groundworks started Friday and footings should be done this week sometime. Hope the weather is good!

We are building beachside, albeit over a km from the beach
but still!

We were originally signed with a different builder but got to a point where our guts said no, the plan didn't feel ok and so we pulled out. We looked at a few other builders but considering our original plan was a cobbled together version of a home (with some changes) we nearly bought further up the coast that was an Aveling build it seemed silly not to go with Aveling.

I had originally realllllly wanted a splash back kitchen window and almost based the plan almost around that but had to forgo that in order to make the whole footprint work better. Hopefully
So now we have a big 4x2, activity, theatre, study, big alfresco and a wider garage

Hopefully the photos work

Our block is a funny shape and is actually a duplex block. Since new estates don't like to sell big blocks it seems like most of them are funny shapes!

These are our selections, although I changed the bathroom benchtops at pre start, and had all cupboards in kitchen and both bathrooms made silk finish. Kitchen we have gone for white units with a pale essa stone. Essa have recently pulled their entire range after our selections and before our pre start, for reasons unknown to the builder! New choices aren't even on their website and I have no photo but it's a boring whitey colour with sone stippling. My original choice had sparkles
We have two waterfall ends though

This is our two render colours of cloudy sky and urban tribe with the wallaby roof (top swatch) and garage. Looks blue in the photo but it's grey brown.

En suite tiles with old benchtop swatch. Darker floor tiles, white shower walls with feature tile. Double sinks with a single mirror over each sink, shower recess will be fully tiled.

Boys bathroom, again darker floors with white shower wall times. Don't love the feature tile here but it's ok, so it's only going above the benchtop and not in the shower

This is the benchtop that's in both bathrooms, concrete look which looks pretty nice, and the cupboards in both which are silk finish not matt as in the swatch.

This is the laundry - matt white cupboards with essa look bench. Essa throughout would have been beautiful but we cut back the $$$!

There is a pool being squeezed in above the end of the al fresco on an angle. Want it there so we can see it coming into the main living area even though there's a bit more space outside the side of the garage. Style over size I hope will work!

Lovely choices Zoe! Really like the feature tile in your ensuite. Can you tell me what it's called/ where from? Bugger about the essa stone changes

Hey Dani, thanks
I just checked our schedule as I couldn't even remember the tile shop! So long ago now, January I think we did them. It's called Palatino Textile Flax, from European Ceramics in Ossie Park. They also do the same but in brown/grey tones which I preferred but then we struggled to find floor tiles to blend it with. So grey/brown it was! Amazing how different grey/brown is to brown/grey.. My other half doesn't get it

Great plans Zoe. Really like the bedrooms off the nice big activity room. I agree. Those ensuite tiles are amazing. I have to check those ones out.
Looking forward to following your build.
Thanks Nelly! Yes the activity was one of the good things about the Aveling plan. It's based on their Rosemoor floor plan from a couple years back, which they've updated to the current Vale S3... We have upgraded some of the Rosemoor to be almost the same as the Vale, but for less $$$. I also have a thing about sinks in island units so that was relegated to be facing the wall, and the pantry made bigger so it's nearly 3x3. And the alfresco and garage made bigger.. Trying to fill up the block lol
Looking forward to a slab!

Haha yes, the boys don't quite get the subtle colour differences... which is why they are better off leaving this stuff to us to obsess over!! I've been on Pinterest all night myself looking at various shades of subway tiles
. Thanks for the info. Will check out. Looking forward to following your thread

Pinterest is a dangerous time filler! And I think 'pallets, we could make that with pallets!' Meanwhile back in the real world my OH took 90m today to fit wheels onto a plank of wood to make a diy skateboard for our eldest. So the pallets will live another day

Footings started yesterday, pipes in and cement being poured today in the rain

Who knew this stuff was so exciting!

Slab down!

Looking from the back to the front

Congratulations!
So exciting. Slab looks great.
Nelly R
Congratulations!
So exciting. Slab looks great.

Thanks Nelly. Where are you building?
Will be building in the eastern suburbs. I'll be starting my own thread as soon as we've decided on a builder
Too many decisions to make!
Congrats on having the slab down!

I love the nice big garage and alfresco you have there, I wish I could fit a garage like that on my block but we're working with about half the space! Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.
itsmartin
Congrats on having the slab down!

I love the nice big garage and alfresco you have there, I wish I could fit a garage like that on my block but we're working with about half the space! Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.

Thanks itsmartin. The bigger garage with side roller door was the only thing my partner specified he wanted - a triple garage would have been good as the block is wide but it was too many $$$. Think he thinks he will have room for all his bits and bobs and for the trailer and my car and still have room for his BJJ mats!
Lots has happened since my last update, with our two lovely brickies doing a really neat looking job. We have lots of internal rooms and maybe a third of the external walls. Few rained off days but all good. Met our SS who was also really helpful. So far so good Aveling!

From a week or so ago.

Think we have picked flooring too. Going for vinyl plank flooring due to it being (hopefully) hard wearing with two kids and two dogs! Here's a picture of the floor sample and carpet. Trevors have some deal with Aveling where we get a discount. Still pricey for lino floor lol

Reached plate height now, looks a bit more like a house! Had our inspection yday so hopefully that will be ok. Brickies delayed a bit with some bad weather meaning we lost our slot this week with the roofer

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160721/e6d6d937c26731507e69574507d34c69.jpg[IMG]

Seems madness to install eaves and ceiling when there's no roof but apparently all good! Hopefully tin will start next week
Related
9/04/2024
First Avenue Homes Experience

General Discussion

Looks like they are still building.....

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

6/10/2023
First time building.

General Discussion

Can anyone give me any onfo on New Homes WA? Good or bad, hopefully good just need to know if my choice was good or not? Thanks ❤️

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum