Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Excess soil removal charges

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know how much excavators normally charge to remove excess soil from a building site?

Our site excavation is scheduled for Thursday, and the supervisor suggested that we get the same contractor to remove the excess soil as it will be more convenient. I don't mind, but I want to make sure we don't get ripped off in the process.
As part of the excavation I had 30 m3 of soil removed from site for $660 (not including margin and GST).

(This was in Cairnlea, VIC).
TipsyMcStagger
As part of the excavation I had 30 m3 of soil removed from site for $660 (not including margin and GST).

(This was in Cairnlea, VIC).

$22 per cum is fair and resonable....about average $17 per cum for removing from stockpile (that is not including initial excavation) + average $2.50 per cum for cartage (< 10km) and if it's clean fill they can probably dump it for nicks.
Thanks.

Could be a dumb question, but how do we mesure the number of cubic meters?
Duminda
Thanks.

Could be a dumb question, but how do we mesure the number of cubic meters?

No dumb questions only dumb answers.

If it's roughly conical.... the height x radius (half diameter) x radius again (it's actually multiplied by pi and divided by 3 but that makes bugger bugger all diff for excavation)

If it's roughly square or cubic.... height x average of the bottom and top area

Then add about 30% to 50% for bulking...when they re-excavate the stockpile it bulks up a bit.
if it goes to landtrack then you look at around $4 -$8 a qubic mtr plus bobcat and truck hire which is $80 - $100 an hr normally min. 4 hr plus float
but landtrack only accept clean soil

if it goes to a tip then $100 plus a cubic mtr

if it is clay fill then upon pre arrangement with tip they may take it for free

i chopped out 110 tonne of clay and hampton park tip took it at no charge
but tips etc have daily quotas get in early after the quota has been filled then you pay
Simple Rule...

Speak to the person working and offer cash. I have always found it works wonders and is very very cost effective. In todays market there is nothing like a bunch of currency notes!
You will save a lot if you try thats almost a guarantee.
Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

7/03/2024
Tradie charges to fix his mistake

Renovation + Home Improvement

Unless there were unforeseeable issues with the site, I dont think you should have to pay for contractors errors or poor planning. I'd probably try and be reasonable and…

25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum