Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

DAH Build in Landsdale WA - PCI

Page 9 of 10
ms_prez Haha! Yes, definitely!! We have an estimated PCI of late October and keys should be 2 weeks later. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly and there's no delays.

dee13 Definitely have a chat with them - they were quite upfront about some of their costs (especially shutters) being slightly more expensive than the other companies because everything is made locally rather than outsourced to Vietnam and with their shutters/blinds they use a different product which has a longer life and is made of more durable materials. But they have also said that being a local company, they can move a little on the final cost.

Wellard2ndTimers Big mistake. Huge!!! Haha! The lack of customer service in some places is shocking.
We dealt with ABC blinds in Rockingham. And the lady we dealt with was lovely. Very willing to change any of our choices. I changed my mind about 4 times.
As documented in my thread we had an issue with Our vertisheers but they did fix this quickly. And not sure why more people dont use vertisheers as they are sooo practical and in my opinion look fantastic. We have had so many compliments on the look of them. We also used the outside shutters inside and they also look great. Nobody has picked up they're not wood. We chose this option because they were cheaper and stronger.
In the end we were happy with ABC blinds Rockingham.

The vertisheers are pretty nifty Robina - we never really close our curtains in our current living areas so probably won't in the new place either, so standard sheer curtains will work for us. I'm glad you had a good experience with ABC Rockingham - we went to the Wangara showroom and the sales guy was nice, just not particularly enthusiastic about actually talking prices or talking about products other than the few things HE liked.
SallyS
The vertisheers are pretty nifty Robina - we never really close our curtains in our current living areas so probably won't in the new place either, so standard sheer curtains will work for us. I'm glad you had a good experience with ABC Rockingham - we went to the Wangara showroom and the sales guy was nice, just not particularly enthusiastic about actually talking prices or talking about products other than the few things HE liked.

You are so right. We would have just had sheers as they look beautiful. But we have big eastern facing Windows so need the blinds open during the day but closed first thing in the morning in summer. I would love to be able to have my windows free of blinds but can't. I'm sure your choices will look lovely.

We have been for a visit to the block and were happy to see a lot of progress this week! Our electrical seems to have been completed - all lights, downlights (not that we've got many of them), NBN box in the garage, internal fusebox (also in garage), light switches and power points are all in. We chose to go with white plates rather than the brushed chrome in the hopes they'll just blend in with our chosen wall colour rather than stand out.

Our garage door is on!

Our cooktop, oven and kitchen sink mixer are now all installed (and looking gorgeous!)

There have been a couple of errors made though - we have the wrong shower mixer (it's supposed to be entirely chrome but the ones installed have a white handle.)

The bathroom sink mixers are correct, but all the mixers (for ensuite, bathroom and even the kitchen) have the tap/mixer part positioned underneath the spout. The mixer is supposed to be positioned to the side - no idea why they decided to do it beneath the spout, I can see that being a bit of a hazard, especially in summer when you turn the tap on and boiling water comes out!

Despite a few small mistakes, everything is still looking really good.
Robina - all our living areas face north so we'll hopefully escape the worst of the summer sun there. Our east side has no windows but we're putting block out roller blinds on our study and theatre which look west as we think they'll heat right up in summer.
You're so lucky to have Nth facing Windows. Your kitchen looks gorgeous and your tapware is so beautiful but different. Hope you can get the mistakes fixed quickly.

its looks great Sally..
I am sure DAH can sort out the minor issues fairly quickly.
Looking great SallyS. Beautiful choices

Thanks ms_prez.

I'm sure they will jpmontoya - they sorted out the problem with the incorrect satinlite windows really fast so I'm sure in a week or so they'll have this fixed up.
Love how you tiled all the way up behind the rangehood. Wish I had thought of that at the time!

MrsMaccaPacca It was suggested by our pre-start lady as we have a curved glass rangehood going on and she thought it would look a bit odd if we didn't tile all the way up. I'm glad she suggested it as it's something we wouldn't have thought to do!
House update - it's looking FABULOUS but we are still locked out. (C'mon Dales, can't you forget to lock up JUST ONCE so we can sneak in and have a nosy about?!)

Our gable isn't yet complete but the horizontal timbers have come down and a plain hardiflex has gone up ready for the vertical timber batons and finial to go up next week.

Inside, our skirting is all down, doors and frames look like they may have had their first coat of paint, walls patched in the toilets now that the plumbing has been installed, air-conditioning is in, we think the insulation is in, all carpentry for the linen/pantry/robes has been done and the mirrors/glass shower screens/soap dishes have been put into the bathrooms. The list of jobs left for DAH to do is slowly shrinking! There's still the kitchen rangehood to go on, bathroom fittings (towel rails, etc.), flooring, painting, paving and I'm sure a few more little bits and pieces.

We have now finalized, booked and paid the deposit for our window treatments. For the study (bed 4) and theatre - both of which will get direct afternoon sunshine in summer - we have opted for block-out blinds in a rough grey linen fabric. The living/dining windows we've chosen slightly textured sheer white curtains. Bed 2 and 3 will get imitation timber blinds in white (they're actually made of compressed polystyrine and are super light, very durable and shouldn't warp). For our master we've gone a little opulent with a sheer white curtain and this heavy textured grey fabric over the top. We chose to go with Decor Blinds and have been absolutely thrilled with them so far. They've been very lovely and have even thrown in a free roller blind to the laundry.
We've currently not got any blinds or curtains in the bathroom and are hoping that in the future we can install some shutters.

I couldn't take any photos of the house today (mainly because it was lunchtime and I was starving so I just wanted to have a quick look and get home - you should never delay feeding a pregnant woman and thankfully Himself is aware of this). But here's a pic of our lovely bedroom curtain fabric.

How exciting, cant wait to see more pics

We were allowed to go inside our house today!!! Dales let us in to do our final measure and quote for the window treatments. While waiting for our salesperson to arrive, we had a wander around the house and took a few photos.

It was actually a hive of activity while we were there - our insulation was being installed (I thought this had been done last week but apparently not as the guy was there today), the plumber was installing the toilets and another was installing the hot water system so no pics of the bathrooms as I didn't want to get in anyone's way.

I did get to spend a lot of time admiring the kitchen though.

I FINALLY got to stroke my beloved kitchen benchtop.

This tap = LOVE!! The mixer will be getting moved to the side at some point though so we don't get a wet arm when turning it on or off.

How huge is our pantry!!! I plan on using the shorter L end as storage for all my cookbooks. (I have many.)

The bushland across the road is tinged with colour as the wildflowers make an appearance - lots of specks of white, yellow and pink.

Toilet about to be slotted into place. This off-centre window still bugs me - how the hell did I not pick it up on the plans?!

Decor Blinds came about 9:30 for our final measure and quote and I got a few pics of the fabrics we've chosen. This is the fabric for the rollerblinds we've picked for the study and theatre as we think they may get hammered with afternoon sun in summer, so we wanted something with the block-out backing.

For the living/dining areas, we picked a textured sheer curtain. These windows face north so we're not too concerned about getting too much sunshine. We also didn't think we needed anything heavy as we never shut our current curtains in the living areas and probably won't in the new place either. So the sheers will provide a lot of light but also some softness. They are a bright white, but this picture was taken with the fabric sample on top of the benchtop (which of course still has its protective orange plastic over it. But you get the idea....)

As I mentioned in a previous post, we've gone for a double curtain in the master bedroom - a simple white sheer curtain with a two-tone textured fabric over the top. I love the fabric, I just hope it goes okay with the carpet we've chosen (we don't have a sample of that so couldn't hold them against one another to check that it works. Fingers crossed they look good together!)

Things look like they are really moving along. I love you curtain choice.
Your kitchen looks fantastic!
looking great sally saw them working on preparing soil in the evening for paving

Not long to go now, love your selections
Love the kitchen mixer and shaker style cabinets. How have you found Decor Blinds service and cost-wise? We're using Eagle Blinds for timber venetians through our builder but have deleted the blinds to our open plan living and will need to get quotes for sheers for this area once our build is underway
Thanks nelleebellee and jpmontoya

mrsdoe We've been thrilled with Decor Blinds. We had a crappy experience at Kresta and ABC Blinds were underwhelming. Decor had all the time in the world for us, were happy to chat, discuss pros and cons of different products, price up a bunch of different products so we can compare, etc. They were quite upfront about some of their products being a bit more expensive than other places, but everything is made locally rather than being made overseas with inferior materials. So service wise they've been wonderful, cost wise - fractionally more expensive but then again they did also throw in a free roller blind for the laundry.
Looking good, I'm sure your blind/carpet match will be fine - it's such a gamble choosing things from samples isn't it!

Related
18/08/2023
PCI - How thorough were you?

Building A New House

We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports with photos at every stage,…

7/11/2023
Question regarding PCI and H&C Insurance

Building A New House

i would not be signing anything on the day read your contract about when builder submits final invoice generally, have to meet builder within 7 days of receiving final…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum