Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Uneven Ensuite Cabinetry

Page 1 of 1
Hi All! After some advice.

My builder has informed me that due to the location of the window in my ensuite it won't be possible to centre the window over the middle set of drawers as intended. I am not sure at this point when the problem was introduced as it looked good on the original plans.

They have instead given me two options. One thing to note is that regardless of the option the mirrors that should have been identical either side of the window will now be different sizes. The one on the left will be wider than the one on the right.

Option 1 - Centre window over drawers

This first option leads to the left-hand cupboard and bench top being larger than the right-hand one.

Option 2 - Keep even cabinetry and don't centre window

This leaves the window off-centre, and would also mean that the right-hand mirror would not be centred over the sink, making it a little awkward.

Given these choices what would be your preference?

I am leaning toward option 1 and making it a 'his and her' type thing, but I wonder what impact this would have on future resale.

Thanks in advance!
Can u do longer window with less height perhaps

sandra 2016
Can u do longer window with less height perhaps

The walls have already been built so the window is unfortunately already there. The cabinet makers discovered the issue when they came to site to do their own measurements.
Why can't you go option one and just get the left hand drawers made smaller so that it all matches? I would push cost back on the builder.

MrsJM
Why can't you go option one and just get the left hand drawers made smaller so that it all matches? I would push cost back on the builder.

That could be another option. I would really rather not give up benchtop space and cupboard space though.
oduen
MrsJM

That could be another option. I would really rather not give up benchtop space and cupboard space though.

Yeah I can imagine. I just think if it was me, I would rather forgo the bench space that always have the pain of seeing something that wasn't symmetrical. But then again I am OCD haha.

Is ripping out the window even an option?
Can't you not just make the window thinner to allow mirrors and cabinetry to stay the same size?

Got a pic of the floor plan?

I'd go for option 1. Looking at the measurements you only lose 56mm, 5.6cm of bench/cabinet space. It's not a lot really if having it even is important.
MrsJM
Is ripping out the window even an option?

I am not too sure. The wall is double brick and the roof frame is on now so I don't know how difficult that would be.

deejay08
Can't you not just make the window thinner to allow mirrors and cabinetry to stay the same size?

Probably not since the window is already installed.

deejay08

That is from my internal plan. There aren't a lot of precise dimensions on there but it looks pretty central. I feel like the wall to the right (bedroom wall) may have ended up a couple of centimetres from where it should be. Not normally an issue but it is in this case.

Frye
I'd go for option 1. Looking at the measurements you only lose 56mm, 5.6cm of bench/cabinet space. It's not a lot really if having it even is important.

That is what I am thinking. I got pretty worked up about it from looking at the sketches but when I sat back with a tape measure and got an idea of how much the difference would really be it didn't seem so bad. I don't think it would have a huge impact and would be difficult to notice. I think option 2 would jump out at you more with the window not being straight above the drawers.
I would reduce the cabinets so both sides are equal. 5cm difference will be noticeable

Empty space on the right I would build a tall cabinet there as well

Mirrors I would also extend to top of window, will look more elegant. Shower mixers I would also put on the other wall so you can turn them on before getting in.

I think option one. 56mm a blind man would be happy to see it and a man on a galloping horse would not notice the difference. annoying though. The ocd in me would reduce the width so they are hte same , 56mm not a lot of bench space ot lose on that width.
Narrewarren01
I would reduce the cabinets so both sides are equal. 5cm difference will be noticeable

AussieMark
I think option one. 56mm a blind man would be happy to see it and a man on a galloping horse would not notice the difference. annoying though. The ocd in me would reduce the width so they are hte same , 56mm not a lot of bench space ot lose on that width.

We have been discussing it tonight and that might be the best way to go. It isn't much to lose and will give a bit more room to work with in the space on the left. Might make it easier to be able to add some sort of cupboard or shelving.

I actually asked the builder if we could do option 1 but make the left same size as the right and then extend the bench to the wall and add an extra cupboard or drawers. No response yet but pretty sure it won't be allowed. The benchtop is also caesarstone which I think comes in a 2m slab, so they would need to cut a piece from another slab to extend it (which is why the vanity was limited to 2m in the first place).

Narrewarren01
Mirrors I would also extend to top of window, will look more elegant. Shower mixers I would also put on the other wall so you can turn them on before getting in.

I thought about extending the mirrors but got talked out of it. I have seen examples of it the way I have it now and it still looks okay. Taller mirrors would be cool but the extra mirror section wouldn't have a real use (and would probably be a pain to clean).

I also wanted to do what you suggest with the mixers. I can't remember if the builder said no at pre-start or I just forgot about it.
Option 1 for me. There's not much size difference btwn the left and right drawers so it's not that much noticeable.

@ Orph

build thread: viewtopic.php?t=78328
Dream Metricon Glendale 38 (Sydney)!
Related
31/01/2024
New build - uneven tiles

Building A New House

I hope this help you newhome_24, AS3958.1 is the Ceramic Tile Installation Standard. It specifies the tolerances for the installation of tiles. The tile supplier is…

14/03/2024
Building on uneven land

Building A New House

I don't think you're getting a response because you are not quite clear on what the issue is. yep, the site is not level, no site is! but are you just building a garage?…

8/05/2023
Opinion on Ensuite layout

Building A New House

Thanks for the suggestion. The space between shower and sinks was too tight. I agree about the toilet location. So I have tried two other options: The lower one is…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum