Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Rawson @The New Rouse Hill

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and just put a deposit into a home and land package in New Rouse Hill.

We decided on one of the Rawson's lot, just because either we didn't like Eden Brae's or it's too expensive.

Now, reading the horrible experiences people were having with Rawson, we're beginning to question if our sanity is on the line with them.

Also, we're pretty new in building a home, in fact this is our first time. So forgive us if we kinda ask those 'stupid' questions. Here goes one of the example

- I called the New Rouse Hill earlier this week and asked if it's possible to change the layout or anything, and was told not possible at all as this has gone through the DA Approval (not even replacing a carpet with timber/bamboo). However this is confusing as stated in one of the papers, it says:

Steps 9: Rawson Homes will then submit your application for Construction Certificate

I'm aware (correct me if I'm wrong) that CC forms part of the DA, if nothing can be changed, then why not submit the CC earlier / together with DA?

- Is this true that I am not allowed to change anything at all?

Cheers,
Andy
Apologies if I posted this in the wrong subforum
Any advice?

Upon further reading, I found this (couldn't find this on hills council website though):

The CC Application should show evidence of compliance with
the Development Consent conditions e.g. amended plans etc.
I dont think you can do major changes once you have gone through DA. It will be expensive as well to do changes and Rawson is a bit slow in dealing with pre-constuction amendments. I am guessing you are like the other guys who have stalked the display homes for around a year or two before deciding to build. It would be good if you can decide early before the tender on what you want so you dont get hit with variations, Rawson loves doing this.

Ours went CDC so we did not have to deal with council and lucky we were able to change a window (type only but not size) so it did not affect anything. And of course they charged variation!

Thanks mate.

Basically (I think) LendLease subcon it out only to Eden and Rawson. We really like the area so didn't have many options there.

Are they really difficult to negotiate? Was hoping to at least be allowed to create a small partition and replace the carpet with timber (obviously without costing arms and legs)..

Andy
From my discussions with rawson when we were looking at some of their house and land packages there were about three items that you had options on the rest were completely fixed. We ended up buying land and are about to start construction with rawson. They have been brilliant up to our last pre construct administrator who isnt paticuly good with comunication.
The inability to change anything and only having i think preset colour combinations to chòse from for bathroom and kitchen was one of our main factors for not doing package. Althoigh package would have been about 30000 cheaper once we do febcing and landscaping after the build. And added a bunch to the plan.

Laminate for carpet was i believe one of the options available at little or no cost

Thanks Galedpk.

I tried to call them today, not remembering today's a public holiday.

So we decided to visit their homeworld in Kellyville and was told any inclusions or modifications have to be told to LendLease and Rawson only build it on LendLease's order. It is indeed confusing.

I'll just wait and call Rawson's office directly first thing tomorrow. But looking at their display homes, I'd say their build quality is pretty good, but we still prefer bamboo over timber for stairs, no idea why their timber stairs seem to chip around the edges alot.
So Rawson has come back and says a straight no when I ask about replacing carpet with timber/bamboo.

I noticed their top of alfresco is not covered.

Pretty disappointed with these, I'd have thought they'll agree to some degree of flexibility.
Just had update throughout the day from Rawson again, basically she said:

As with all their H+L package in The New Rouse Hill, no variations allowed. None. The only exception being tile flooring at the ground floor. That's about it.

Would like to know if anybody here bought and build with RH in New Rouse Hill? Is that always the case? I was not told of the reason too.
Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to add another power socket in the master bedroom (for electrician of course)?

Unbeliavably Rawson refuses to add another power socket (it only has one in where we'd put a bedside table).

Even my 10 years old house has 3 power sockets in master bedroom
Related
24/02/2024
Building in Vineyard with Rawson

Building A New House

Just started the Build process for Chifley 42 with Rawson homes, will keep you all posted with the Build progress.

16/07/2023
Options for Retaining Wall Sloping Hill

Landscape & Garden Design

Howdy all. I am looking for feedback on what people would do to maximise and make an area as flat as possible. First, out the front of the house is a sloping hill, pretty…

18/01/2024
Terry road box hill

General Discussion

I brought terry road box hill in June 2022 House was meant to be completed Nov 2023 That did not happen I had to chase them so much to the land Registration and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum