Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Pool installation before home is built or after?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys my name is Jason. Im new to this site i need advice and i need to weigh up the pro's and con's about my topic, couldn't find it anywhere so any advice would be appreciated heaps. I want to know if it's worth getting a swim spa installed before my home is built or after. Im building with Henley almost at colours stage so weighing it up here... also the swim spa will be roughly 4.5m in L and 3.5 by W roughly. Henley are looking at charging an extra $3k on site costs if they were to install it before there saying it will be more expensive after the build as the pool people may affect our land and pillers have to be counteracted etc,so before i go talk to both parties I just want to know from advice, thanks sorry for any spelling errors.
Most swimming pools get installed before the house gets built as they are usually in-ground and go a bit deeper than the foundations of most houses ( piering down and piles may go deep for these too of course depending on your soil conditions ). I'm unsure about spas though.
Also large excavators are used to dig out the hole for the pools which are usually in a backyard. A bit harder to do after the house is built.

Stewie
Thanks for that Stewie, we got told we can get a small excavation in since we have the room on the side of the home but the pool will be about 1.2m deep as well, i just hope the builder isn't pulling this out of their bum's so they get more....or if its actually beneficial to get it installed after.
We put our 8m x 4m pool in (in the back yard) before the build started. Pool people told us that's cheaper and easier way to go, because only a small crane will be needed and also easier for them to get rid of the soil. Putting pool in afterwards means they need a bigger crane to lift up the pool and hang it over your new house, costs more and have the risk of damaging your new roof (you'll never know!), not to mention the mess that is likely to happen to your garage (if they get access to your back yard through garage).

Having the pool in before build means that we have to have plank and mesh which costs total $695 (the pool company hire them from Consolidated Group for 12 month), i know that's pretty the same price regardless where you get your pool from.

hope the above helps
Thanks Teresa for your help, would you mind sending a picture? thought so especially with such limited space you have after the home is built and that concerns me with the roof lol. I was also thinking of getting it paved around the pool.
Sure! Here we go.

Site plan - a bit messy but you can see the pool positioned at the back of the block

Crane at work

We will also need to get someone to do the area around the pool but haven't decided whether we want aggregate or liquid limestone. So it's something in our to do list for after the build is complete.

Plank and mesh

Oh my DH also put a tarp on the pool so no building craps will get in the pool, also help to reduce the water evaporate rate in the hot days.

well done coming up quite well no regrets on size i hope?? where abouts are you building at the moment?
The pool size is perfect for us and we still have enough space on the left hand side of the pool for some outdoor furniture. So far so good

Sorry just realised that, since you build with Henley, so you are probably in VIC? We are in WA so now I am not sure if my info is any good for you... Sorry....

Hi we had a pool built before the house. She'll was done last March still trying to get pool company to come back to finish the interior (better pools and spas jn Sydney) anyone in Sydney don't go near them ! Ha ha but my advice is just get it in writing whine thye have to come back if you get it dug out and concreter before hand . Lost not people with out pool company as stuck with half finished pools.

Buildingthegardenretreat.blogspot.com.au
teresa.hsh
We put our 8m x 4m pool in (in the back yard) before the build started. Pool people told us that's cheaper and easier way to go, because only a small crane will be needed and also easier for them to get rid of the soil. Putting pool in afterwards means they need a bigger crane to lift up the pool and hang it over your new house, costs more and have the risk of damaging your new roof (you'll never know!), not to mention the mess that is likely to happen to your garage (if they get access to your back yard through garage).

Having the pool in before build means that we have to have plank and mesh which costs total $695 (the pool company hire them from Consolidated Group for 12 month), i know that's pretty the same price regardless where you get your pool from.

hope the above helps

Hi Teresa,
If you don't mind me asking, which pool company did you go with and were you happy with the results? Im looking for a pool at the moment and its so hard to pick a company. They are seem to have some frightening reviews./
Hi Henley V, we went with Buccaneer Pools. They have been great. But We will need to call them back once our build is finished so all the plumbing can be finished, so I can't really give a 100% true review as yet.

I absolutely understand what you mean about the reviews. We have nearly read them all and there was no champion there at all! At the end we just went with a pool with the right size, shape and price, and it happened to be Buccaneer.

I would suggest doing your installation afterwards. Building a new home creates plenty of dust. If you install a swim spa first, you're going to have to keep it covered and protected, which could cause you unnecessary headaches. These days installation are quite easy as swim spa companies can use cranes to lift the spas over buildings if need be. I would suggest chatting to someone at Sapphire Spas. Not sure of their phone number, but their website is http://www.sapphirespas.com.au
Related
29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum