Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Oh, come on now...

Page 3 of 4
Michelle
Yep……no reason why this window should not be in the centre.
Quoins should not make any difference to this.

Now......wasn’t that easy!!!!!

to_do_list
Michelle
Lets try again…..

NO!.....I like arguing with you.....

Yeah baby!!!!
Now that we are all together on what window we are talking about...

This is a really popular design, I cant see that every house they build of this design has this issue. Is it just that the frame work was not done properly in the first place???

As we didnt pick this up till now mean that we are lumped with it, or can we make the builder fix it??? Its clearly centre in the plans.
Wether you picked it up or not……I bet they did!!!!!

Ohhhh and forgot to mention…hey, the windows out, but what the heck, you didn’t notice so we didn’t say anything!

I’ll bet you anything……they know its out!
adlse
Now that we are all together on what window we are talking about...

This is a really popular design, I cant see that every house they build of this design has this issue. Is it just that the frame work was not done properly in the first place???

As we didnt pick this up till now mean that we are lumped with it, or can we make the builder fix it??? Its clearly centre in the plans.

Are there any other houses of this design for you to look at and compare?
Im not sure if there is one around??? The builder has two designs that look the same from the outside but are slightly differant on the insides. The 'Adelaide' and the 'Clarendon', built by Statesman Homes (www.statesman-homes.com.au). The dimensions of the Adelaide were slightly differant from the Clarendon (yes, the study dimensions...). We are building the 'Clarendon".
This isn't probably going to help you much but the study window not centered would both me terribly. When I look at the plans and front elevation it looks like it is in the center. I would ask that they fix it, I realise that this would be a big job
I think the only way I could live with it would be to plant a tree to the left side (looking at the house) of the house.

Not good though is it?
adlse
Im not sure if there is one around??? The builder has two designs that look the same from the outside but are slightly differant on the insides. The 'Adelaide' and the 'Clarendon', built by Statesman Homes (www.statesman-homes.com.au). The dimensions of the Adelaide were slightly differant from the Clarendon (yes, the study dimensions...). We are building the 'Clarendon".

Well go look at some houses they have built elsewhere simular to yours and see how they have positioned the windows
Look at existing houses or display ones
LOL I've had a good laugh .....

No I wouldn't accept it - make them redo it
The plans have the final word. There is nothing wrong with the design - they have not built it to their own drawings. For that reason I think you can keep pushing for it to be fixed and you will eventually win. They don't have a leg to stand on - they have clearly not delivered what the drawing shows and asthetically it's a critical feature.

I'd keep pushing and pushing - don't make any more payments till it's fixed. I reckon they can fix it but it will cost them for a new window (which I believe is the easiest way to solve the problem.
One fix they may try to run past you is the render between the front quoins, and that way the gap may not be as noticeable.

It's up to you whether you'd accept that.....I wouldn't.....you've got nice bricks and it would reduce their impact.....IMO it would still look odd but you may use it in negotiations to get compensation (dishwasher....etc).

Worth being aware that they may try that one on you and have a response ready for it......seems to be the usual fix....."Oh we stuffed up your brickwork....don't matter we'll just render it for you".....
I wouldn't admit to knowing anything about how difficult it may be. Don't get involved in any talk on that subject ! I'd act the innocent and just ask them to "Move the window into the centre according to the plans thanks".
The builder is having some problems with simple mathematics.

* The outside wall is 13 bricks wide (by design and as built).
* The window is 8.5 bricks wide (by design and as built)

Now you can only work in 0.5 brick increments, which means the window cannot be centered.

You will need a new slightly wider window. Remove the existing window. On the left side, remove the half bricks and cut the whole bricks in half. Put in a custom 9 brick wide window. This will cost the builder and he'll squeal like a pig, but all the plans show a centered window.

If you think the outside looks bad, then think about the inside. On one side of the window will be a 230 mm wall width. On the other will be a 350 mm wall with (50% more).

Chances are this design has been build without the quoins in the past and the difference in brick counts would be much less noticeable.

As others have said, just let the builder know that there has been a mistake and leave it at that. The builder has to fix it.
It would bother me enormously and I would be a squeaky wheel until they fixed it.

Judie
Thanks guys for your replies.

The site supervisor is going to the house tomorrow morning to have a look, and is going to give hubby a call.

As we are renting and keen to move, we may look at leaving it and asking for some kind of compensation... what would be reasonable here do you think???

Im guessing the builder will either say he will fix it, knowing that most people will say dont bother, or do nothing

Will let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, here are some pictures of my kitchen, seems they got that bit right

Adlse
Have you taken any notice off how close the overhead cupboards are to where the cook top will be.
Just hope you dont have a gas cooktop
adlse
Thanks guys for your replies.

The site supervisor is going to the house tomorrow morning to have a look, and is going to give hubby a call. As we are renting and keen to move, we may look at leaving it and asking for some kind of compensation... what would be reasonable here do you think??? Im guessing the builder will either say he will fix it, knowing that most people will say dont bother, or do nothing

If you are happy for it it be off centre then maybe they can buy you a nice established tree to plant in front of it. If it was me though I would want it fixed, I would see it everyday and it would annoy me. Unless there was the tree there........

Kitchen looks nice too btw
adlse
As we are renting and keen to move, we may look at leaving it and asking for some kind of compensation... what would be reasonable here do you think???

Mmm thats a tough one, you need to work out how much it would cost to replace then add 10% for the effort and inconvience it will cause.
New dishwasher and microwave for your new kitchen (stainless of course) and a free pencil pine.....be cheaper than ripping the wall out.
Hi guys,

Hubby spoke to the site supervisor, who agrees that it is not to plan.

As this is a fault of the sub-contractor (carpenter), our builder will not be out of pocket. The sub-contractor has been made aware of the error and has agreed to foot the cost of repair (this includes completely redoing the whole wall from frame to gyprock including window frames, skirting and such...).

This will add approx 4 weeks to build time.

Handover is due in approx 4-6 weeks.

Options are
1. redo wall and look at handover being in about 8-10ish weeks, or
2. do nothing and have handover in 4-6 weeks.

Both handover dates are still within contract time.

As the builder is not going to be out of pocket for redoing the wall, and have offered to have the wall redone, Im not sure where we stand with 'compensation'...

I think hubby wants to redo the wall, but I am ok to move in and plant a tree (which was always on the cards). A friend said, "in a years time, is it still going to bother you?", to be honest, I dont think so....

Any thoughts...
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

3/02/2024
Cooker now power after boil over

Kitchen Appliances

get an electrician to check and repair before you kill yourself

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum