Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

JG King modified Heywood - Landscaping

Page 73 of 76
aloenyx
Can I ask for a price range Bank? I was quoted $1300 just to deck the portico area, but I have thought about doing the portico, some steps, and then save tiled concrete for the flat bit at the bottom.

Not sure what we have spent but it would be over a thousand now, doing all the labour ourselves. It's probably only about 7-8m2 but the steps and need for stumps adds cost. The blackbutt was expensive at $6.30 a metre, we could have done silvertop ash or the cypress for about $4.?? a metre. The place where we got it had a special on the silvertop due to over supply but I felt the blackbutt was a better match to the cypress on the rest of the house and it's only a small deck so the difference was worth it. We will likely use the lighter cheaper silvertop for the back deck as it's much bigger.

Rough break down:
Blackbutt $620 including about $50 off for an "old builder discount" that my FIL negotiated
Concrete $130 I think we used about 16 bags in the end

Structural treated pine $200
Dyna bolts, nails etc $30
The H4 posts were free because FIL had them laying around
Still to add on stainless steel screws that I'll pay FIL back for, not sure what they cost but they're not cheap.

Then oil or some other coating.
That's not bad, its so much cheaper to do things yourself!! I'd have to pay someone to come do them, which would probably more than double costs.
One done! Well minus the extra screw in each board.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Basically done! Just needs a couple of hundred more screws

We will use 2 boxes of screws at $71 each! Yikes!

Looks amazing! Are you going to stain them?

- B

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast
forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210
Looks amazing!!!! Has anyone told you your house is sexy?
Just love that whole facade, and those steps really suit.
Bridgetwitch
Looks amazing! Are you going to stain them?

- B

Not sure if we will stain it or just straight oil it. The sample in the store was just oiled and it seemed a pretty good match for the timber on the house, but we'll get some samples done and see. We could do the haymes dexpress in the same colour as the house if necessary.
aloenyx
Looks amazing!!!! Has anyone told you your house is sexy?
Just love that whole facade, and those steps really suit.

Well I think it is!
Your house looks fantastic, we were down that way quite a few months ago looking at display homes. We are also building with JG King our build has been great so far with about 5weeks until handover we commenced end of September.
I'm so excited for today... and sad
We've finally made a start on landscaping, I didn't want to be doing it in the middle of summer but leaving it so long I'm now feeling the pressure to get it done before it does get too wet.

A couple of weeks ago we had a guy in with a digger to scrape the top off to make some room for top soil. He convinced us we needed to keep it all to fill down the side, I was sceptical and my concerns turned out to be right. Now we have a pile to get rid of, hopefully if I stick it on gumtree it will disappear.

For now we need to keep it because jgking still haven't removed our retaining wall
and we'll need to fill that area once it is done. There has been 2 attempts to remove it, and a 3rd person come to look at it, then turned the job down. We are expecting a 4th person this week, who may or may not be from the company that built it in the first place. No one will own up to it and they don't seem to be able to find any record of who they paid to do it
. Unbelievable!

Anyway some progress shots.

Our huge pile of dirt, moved by hand on Friday!

Edging is Form boss redcor. It will rust over the next couple of months. Not the cheapest option for edging, but surprisingly easy to work with. We plan to use the higher thicker profiles for our retaining in the backyard. I saw it used for retaining at the garden show, it looks really impressive! Boundary edges we just used 200x50 treated pine sleepers.

Planting, mulching and path toppings to come next weekend.

It looks great already! Can’t wait to see it completed

- B

Wow wow wow!! That looks amazing!!! Cant wait to see the final product. Love the rocks.
Basically done! The path will be extended to meet the gate once the fence is up. The retaining wall was finally removed on Friday!! So fence will hopefully go up in the next couple of weeks. Mind you the back fence was "about 2 weeks" away, 2 months ago!
Letterbox needs another coat, deck will be oiled next weekend and we have a gate to build.

bank
Basically done! The path will be extended to meet the gate once the fence is up. The retaining wall was finally removed on Friday!! So fence will hopefully go up in the next couple of weeks. Mind you the back fence was "about 2 weeks" away, 2 months ago!
Letterbox needs another coat, deck will be oiled next weekend and we have a gate to build.

This looks amazing and is exactly what I want to do, well done!
Lot126
bank

This looks amazing and is exactly what I want to do, well done!

Thanks! It's quite a transformation from the dust bowl it was 2 weeks ago.
Looks fantastic! And should be low maintenance too

- B

Bridgetwitch
Looks fantastic! And should be low maintenance too

- B

Yes it should be, eventually! Took a bloody long time to water 50 odd plants tonight, I'll be glad when they're established. It can start raining now! I keep telling everyone who has been wishing for rain to just wait until we have our garden done
Looks fantastic!
Looooove it. And yes would also like some rain I hate watering.
Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

26/03/2024
JG King Home builders delay in construction

General Discussion

So, did they give you a reason? Weather? Slab not poured??

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum