Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

JG King modified Heywood - Landscaping

Page 68 of 76
Doc Freeman
bank
Still wouldn't commit to a handover date which is bloody inconvenient.

Check your contract, but I think the standard allowance after PCI is no greater than 21 days for handover otherwise the builder is liable for liquidated damages.

This it true and when I mentioned that the contract says 21 days they corrected me and said it's actually 14 days and pointed to what was printed on the form that we had just signed. Then the more senior one admitted that the contract does say 21 days but it's 14. Seriously the number of inconsistencies in that company is unbelievable!

When I raised how will our liquidated damages be paid our SS quickly said we still need to add on rain days, I shut him down straight away - No you have to claim those with in a reasonable time, and you haven't claimed any! The senior one then backed me up and confirmed it's too late for that. I also pointed out that we really haven't had a huge number of wet days and many of them there were actually trades working here and I have kept records of every time that happened. Anyway he said the liquidated damages will be paid to us at some point after handover. I said I think if I have to have a cheque on the day for you, you should have one for me at the same time! He said I'll have to read the contract and I informed him that the contract actually says that liquidated damages can ONLY be deducted from the final payment. Of course we know they don't do it this way but my point is they don't even know what their contract says!
aloenyx
What an experience. Good on you for not taking any crap from them.
Dont give em a cent till your happy!

I told him I'd rather live in a caravan park than hand over the cheque before everything was perfect. Truth is I would be flexible on a few things provided I was given proof that it was booked to be done. The front door handle for example has a descent lead time, I know it's ordered and all going to plan it should arrive just in time. If it didn't, it wouldn't be worth not moving in before Christmas over.
Finally PCI!!

I learnt the hard way accepting handover when we shouldn’t have, it was a pain in the butt trying to get them back to fix things they said they would in the first week of handover

Do you have a date yet?
charlibear
Finally PCI!!

I learnt the hard way accepting handover when we shouldn’t have, it was a pain in the butt trying to get them back to fix things they said they would in the first week of handover

Do you have a date yet?

Nope! We are just working on the 15th until we hear otherwise. He knows that is when the curtains are booked and he said I didn't need to push them back. Fingers crossed! I've never heard of someone not getting a handover date but we get the feeling he's just going to string us along and let us know last minute. He mentioned another walk through late this week to check any work that has been done, hopefully we'll get more info then. We should also hear if he gets the COO tomorrow.
Mine was like that, I kept pushing and basically had to say 'We are doing handover on this date' the week before. Makes it so hard to plan anything!!

I'm still hoping you get a pre-Christmas handover.
aloenyx
Mine was like that, I kept pushing and basically had to say 'We are doing handover on this date' the week before. Makes it so hard to plan anything!!

I'm still hoping you get a pre-Christmas handover.

It will be! It has to be! Our landlord tells me today that she has the kitchen spray painting people coming on the 20th
. She had it in her head that we would be gone by the 20th because I told her that we HOPE to move out about the18th/19th. I also told her I can't book anything because I don't have an actual date! I had to remind her that we are paid up until the 25th. But she needs it done pre Christmas because she has the house painter coming on the 2nd of Jan. As usual she has gotten way ahead of herself.

They started renovating the bathrooms (one at a time) today because she had that booked months ago based on our contract end date
. This is despite me making it abundantly clear that they won't necessarily stick to the contract. So we are currently down a bathroom and a laundry (only found out about that on Saturday!) and we have a giant hole in the floor for all the creatures to come in tonight! I hope the kids don't wander into what used to be their bathroom in the middle of the night!
Wow. I'd be annoyed at that. Especially if your contract is till the 25th, they shouldn't be planning these things till you are gone!
Finally got the final invoice, after pushing for it, and them asking us to sign the very first variation that was raised (payment schedule A instead of B)
. Rather than signing the new one I sent them our copy of the one we already signed on contract day
. They can't even keep their paperwork straight.

The attached letter claims the house was complete on the 1st and handover is on the 8th
. We still have no CoO and unless they have had the most productive day ever today we'll be lucky if they make the 15th.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
It would almost be comical... if it wasn't your money paying for their incompetence.
Hang in there Bank... soon you will be in your beautiful home and won’t have to deal with their incompetence!

- B

A vue of the pines on the Gold Coast
forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87210
It's angry pants Friday again!

So they didn't have a productive day yesterday, we're pretty sure nothing happened at all. Tried to get an update late in the day but SS had no idea what had been done and what hadn't, he was hoping to get there later to assess things
. I think he is in for a rude shock because from what we can see (and the door was left open one night so we have seen) only 3 of the long list of things to be done prior to handover have been done.

He didn't think he would have the COO until Tuesday
. But is still adamant that we are handing over next week before the 15th (curtain day), yeah right! We expressed our concern that we need a week from COO to get bank cheque and he tried to say that we don't need a valuation done because none of the other 5 he is handing over today and next week needed it
, like he knows better! Anyway after trying to get the ball rolling on the bank cheque today our broker has discovered that we actually don't need the COO just the invoice and insurance, but they will be doing a valuation and have requested our SS's details to arrange access
, the valuation company have already contacted me so at least they are moving quickly.

He wasn't sure but didn't think we had a step in the garage yet (essential for the COO). It was meant to be done last Friday but the concretor's dog died, now he says the concretor's child died, which is horrible if true, but we are starting to wonder about the stories.

Even things as simple as the caulking (meant to be done last friday as well) haven't been done!

We still have no gas meter (line went in Monday 2 and 1/2 weeks ago)!

Still no data conduit (from street) so that we can organise our internet, tv and foxtel. It has somehow been cast into the slab instead of ending up outside under the meter box. It's a relatively simple fix but it took weeks for us to get it through our SS's head that it was actually a problem and now they all seem to be hand balling around responsibility.

Edited to add, just heard valuation inspection is happening Monday, they have a jgking key so can let themselves in.
We managed to get a bit of an update this afternoon. It's not sounding good. He's gone from "definitely by the 15th" yesterday, to "it might have to be the week after" today
. At that point hubby pretty much put his foot down and told him he has to deliver by the 15th, funnily enough we're very busy the week before Christmas. We think it has finally dawned on him how much there is left to do and how little there was done this week.

No trade (except maybe painters) has a big job to do. It's all little stuff! If they could just get the trades there, there's only a couple of days in it, tops!

Nothing appears to have been done today, however the insulation guys were arriving at 7pm to have a third attempt at getting it right
. Apparently it went further up the CSR chain this time. Seems to be the usual suspects back to do it again though. If it wasn't dinner time I would have hung around to see how long they actually worked on it.

Outstanding (off top of my head):
Painting including filling, sanding and tops and bottoms of doors -tomorrow and apparently we have the best this time, yeah right, I'm sure we'll get who we get.
Gas meter - organised, should happen within 5 days
Data conduit and missing surge protection - will be done by electricians early next week
Window touch ups, sliding door dints and angles to fill gaps - organised, no date
Door handle - should arrive on the 13th, it will be booked to install once it has
Bath - has been delivered, booked to be installed when the plumbed appliances go in
Extra fill to cover storm water pipes and land levels - booked, no date
Cabinetry adjustments - booked, no date
Retaining wall - no final decision, but the unofficial one is that it is going
Drainage at back of garage - a pipe has been added, no drain on top of it yet, I assume they are waiting for eco waste to sort out levels
Gutter and downpipe touch ups - being done by plumbers Tuesday
Concrete step - not done and no idea when
Brick clean - not booked, but can be done at short notice
Caulking and fixing bed 4 window seal - booked for Thursday
Ensuite grout - booked (may have been done he wasn't sure)
Driveway sealing - he'll follow up
Cleaning including paint off carpet, marks off benches, grout and silicon off everything - last

So grumpy for you hun. This is just getting ridiculous!!! Still hoping you get a pre-Xmas handover.
Maybe we should get Rone to come down and paint our place when he is done, because our bloody painters haven't showed up
. Our silos are looking pretty awesome!!

I’ve been lurking around the forum and silently watching your thread and seriously, why does it take so long for them to complete these little things?? You are right, those can be done in a couple of days tops!
I am building with GJ Gardner on the Gold Coast and I remember you had tiles down way before I did. And you had your driveway in a while ago now (we had ours poured last week). I had thought my build was going so slow, coming into 4.5 months now since they poured the slab. Anyway, our handover is scheduled on Thursday the 14th! So I’m so surprised that there hasn’t been much movement for your build
they better get you in within the next week?!?

Its beyond me! Lack of trades? Too much work? A SS trying to deliver far too many houses this week!?!

He has rang us this morning to let us know that the painters have shown up today and the bath is being done but it's going to cause a fair bit of damage getting it out, still thinks it should be all fixed this week though.
So the mystery of the missing gas meter has been solved! Sort of anyway. Origin have changed their form and no longer accept the old one that we filled out. Doesn't really explain how we managed to get the line in or why it's taken 3 weeks for someone to mention this. It kind of feels like it is just being organised today
Nothing new to show from our house but our rental bathroom is coming along. Taking a bit longer than the week that they used to sell me the idea

Chippy still hasn't been back to sheet the laundry so tiler hasn't been able to start in there

Stupid Origin...
[quote="aloenyx"]Stupid Origin...
/quote]
Yes and stupid builder for not following it up earlier.

Related
14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

26/03/2024
JG King Home builders delay in construction

General Discussion

So, did they give you a reason? Weather? Slab not poured??

15/06/2023
Excavation for landscaping

Building A New House

Hmmm, I have checked your past posts and it seems that you are in NSW, not WA as I had thought. It pays to show your State in your avatar. Retaining wall regulations…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum