Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

KDR - stormwater treatment, sewerage, electricity pole, gas

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

We are planning to kdr our home. We have been doing some research and we are in particular worry about site work cost on KDR.

We have discovered 4 matters that we may or may not have to concern. Could you share your opinion please.

1. Stormwater or rainwater treatment - our land is mostly flat a land. We went to Eden brae and the sale consultant said that we need to enquire the council about this as it can be a nasty surprise which can cost up to 35k. So i called the council today and they search for my property and they said that no stormwater report required for this property.
I am not too sure if that means we are clear from this problem or whether i did not ask the right question? What do you think?

2. Power pole - as our home is an old home, we share electricity direct from the main power pole. From what i heard, new homes require to have their own pole to connect to the main pole. So i called Ausgrid as directed by my council. They said that it depends on the distance to the main pole. The main pole is located just in front of our home but in our neighbour land. Any of you guys experiencing the same thing? And if you are required to get your own pole, how much will it cost?

3. Sewerage - i havent talked to anyone anout this but from what i heard, sewerage needs to be located at the back of your home? How will it matter?

4. Gas meter - we have or gas meter in from from our home. I called the gas provider and told them that we are knocking down and rebuilding. They said that i am required to disconnect the gas and then reconnect it myself later on.
But would the builder remove the gas meter all together? Do you guys need to do thia yourself?

5. Other site cost - i am aware that there will be plenty. Such as asbestos removal, rock removal, etc. rawson home quoted us for 65-70k ( conservative quote, no tender yet) is this reasonable? This includes demolition cost.

6. Metal or timber frame - mcdonald jones offers metal at no costs whereas all other builders offer timber hyne t2 (i think this is the name).
Which one would you prefer?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to hear the response!!

Yenny
Hi Yenny,

We are currently going through the KDR process as well and have just had a tender presentation.
Our site costs component was $55K (Council/Builders requirements $2K, Earthworks $36K (Cut & Fill $16K, Retaining Wall $14.5K, Rock allowance $5K, Site drainage $1.6K, Modified M clas slab with bored concrete piers $10.8K) and there were further costs of $7k to meet the 6 star energy rating (we added a bigger window and glass stacker doors at the rear).
Our preliminary soil test classed our block as P (as most KDR's are) with soil classed as modified M.
We are on a sloping block (7 metre fall over the entire the block & 3 metre fall over the building envelope).

Prior to demolition you need to arrange for the gas & electricity services to be abolished and the water & sewerage to be capped.

The underground power pit is circa $3K to be installed.
Old Bloke
Hi Yenny,

We are currently going through the KDR process as well and have just had a tender presentation.
Our site costs component was $55K (Council/Builders requirements $2K, Earthworks $36K (Cut & Fill $16K, Retaining Wall $14.5K, Rock allowance $5K, Site drainage $1.6K, Modified M clas slab with bored concrete piers $10.8K) and there were further costs of $7k to meet the 6 star energy rating (we added a bigger window and glass stacker doors at the rear).
Our preliminary soil test classed our block as P (as most KDR's are) with soil classed as modified M.
We are on a sloping block (7 metre fall over the entire the block & 3 metre fall over the building envelope).

Prior to demolition you need to arrange for the gas & electricity services to be abolished and the water & sewerage to be capped.

The underground power pit is circa $3K to be installed.

Thanks for the info. That's a lot of earthwork cost there. May i know who are you building with? Or are you custom built?
Hi yenny.
We are building with rawson.
1) we sourced a demolition Contractor for 15k. Apart from the gas, they isolated the power and water prior to building removal. Also quite alot of abstestos which didn't cost much as the house wasn't masonry. Just took a couple of weeks.
2) the gas abolishment was about 1.5k. I received the bill nearly 6 months after the disconnect.
3) after demolition, rawson just needed the site clearance certificate.
4) site costs from rawson also weren't set in stone. My sewer and stormwater did blow out by about 20%

There's no big deal organising the Demo yourself. Rawson won't do it themselves so your paying their 20% + premium. Best to do this independently.

using Tapatalk
We are considering building with Fairhaven Homes.
SteveMc
Hi yenny.
We are building with rawson.
1) we sourced a demolition Contractor for 15k. Apart from the gas, they isolated the power and water prior to building removal. Also quite alot of abstestos which didn't cost much as the house wasn't masonry. Just took a couple of weeks.
2) the gas abolishment was about 1.5k. I received the bill nearly 6 months after the disconnect.
3) after demolition, rawson just needed the site clearance certificate.
4) site costs from rawson also weren't set in stone. My sewer and stormwater did blow out by about 20%

There's no big deal organising the Demo yourself. Rawson won't do it themselves so your paying their 20% + premium. Best to do this independently.

using Tapatalk

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply! We are going to sign the tender this saturday. Feeling frighten but yet excited.

Would you mind if i ask which demolition company you are using?

And will you or will you not be using independent inspector through out the construction?

Yenny
Old Bloke
We are considering building with Fairhaven Homes.

Good Luck with the building. Hope things go smoothly for you!
We used Demo Corp for the demolition. Even though the certifier supposedly inspects each engineering item, i will be doing an independent inspection on frames /brick work after the roof is on and later before pci

using Tapatalk
Related
20/11/2023
Bearer & Joist/Pole Home Construction Cost

Building A New House

Hi Mrboh Just wondering if you have any BAL or flame zone issues on your block, as getting compliance with BAL requirements whilst doing bearers and joists is tough. Not…

28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum