Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

First home - Custom recycled brick homestead acreage build.

Page 2 of 2
We are neighbours untidytowns!

We have just started building on lot 5, Our slab was poured last monday.

You have a lovely block, Who is your builder?
Sah81
We are neighbours untidytowns!

We have just started building on lot 5, Our slab was poured last monday.

You have a lovely block, Who is your builder?

No way!!!

I had no idea anyone else would be here, haha! Funny story, we looked at 9 first originally but ended up deciding on 10 - had the slightly raised area for the barn and arena. Small world! We were there the other day poking around, I've got a black sedan if you ever see me there, say hi!
. I'm so glad someone else is here!

We're building with Glenvill/Murray Valley.
Haha nope the gums are next door, we have a total of 1 tree lol! (a few seedlings coming up around him though that will be great in 10years time) Hes a gorgeous old thing though.

Its great to see all the homes popping up in our street, we looked at the land a few years ago but didnt decide till sept last year which one we wanted.

Do you have any kids untidytowns?
Sah81
Haha nope the gums are next door, we have a total of 1 tree lol! (a few seedlings coming up around him though that will be great in 10years time) Hes a gorgeous old thing though.

Its great to see all the homes popping up in our street, we looked at the land a few years ago but didnt decide till sept last year which one we wanted.

Do you have any kids untidytowns?

I had to edit my previous comment because I realised I was stupid, lol!
No kids. I'm 23 - still a little out of the way, haha. We're building it up to be a horse property - well, I am, not sure my partner really gives a hootanany either way!

I keep missing people! I'm a bit bummed I never see anyone out there, haha! We haven't even moved dirt yet, but also want an asphalt drive. Would love to know who you end up using for that - concrete curbing too, I hope for us.

*edit - we have 1... live tree, haha.
We planted 25 trees on the weekend. A little wet out... hope the little pups do okay.

Plans are settled, we should have a slab in a month or two.
Hi. We are at a similar stage to you. I look forward to following your journey. I love buying trees for our block and watching them grow. Our house will be our third home but first we have built. I haven't had much of an interest in gardens before but as I am designing and buying all of the plants myself this time I think gardening will become a hobby.
Trees are looking great untidytowns! Was a crap miserable weekend you chose to plant them lol! They will be loving this glorious sunshine were now having.

Awesome news about your plans, looking forward to seeing your slab
Years later and some builder crises'... we have gone into frame stage

Without a doubt this has been incredibly testing, but the new builders have done a good job getting things moving and the place feels exactly like how I pictured it. Some friends have been very helpful assisting me with some watering of the 66 remaining trees who survived the hot weather... not sure what I'd do without them!

Because I never did update with selections either...

EXTERIOR:
Galvanised roof (not colourbond)
Recycled red clinker bricks w/white mortar
Black trim, black door(s)
Gal guttering

INTERIOR:
Black door(s)
Recycled timber flooring throughout
Full white kitchen with timber flooring throughout and stainless single bowl.
Ensuite tiling is fully "blacked out" - the only non-black anything in the ensuite is toilet (white) and the benchtop (timber slab) - tapware fittings are matte black, basin is a custom-made concrete sloped basin in black, cabinets are matte black and the whole design is floor to ceiling large black tiles.
Carpeting in the theatre and bedrooms.
Kitchen splashback is matte black pressed tin extending into the pantry too.
Painting is pretty straight forward. Can't remember the colours off the top of my head, but all various options of neutral white.

Most excited about the bricks and the flooring.

Exterior is supposed to reflect an older farmhouse, with the interior being much sleeker and more modern. I'm glad we opted for a smaller floorplan for higher quality materials and space where it matters to us - like a 2m long fully tiled ensuite shower!
Well, we finally have some STUFF!

We got a slab, a frame, a roof in gal... the shed is up, the plaster has started, and the recycled bricks look fantastic. The bricks apparently came from an old police station, kinda neat.

Really happy with it all so far.

A few more photos. Brick work, shelving in theatre, hallway

Those bricks are gorgeous.
Thankyou! It was a debate backwards and forwards to go with them - so expensive.... but its been worth it. They came up a treat. And the bricklayer is a friend (and my hay supplier?! lol so he's done extra extra well.

Some extra things we've started collecting for the new house (shown in our rental.) I went to the Dracula's Theatre closing down sale and they had their two ghost train wedge tailed eagles for sale - I bought one. Super lucky and he's got a good spot in the hallway. My aunt gifted me an old German waterpainting of a man and his stallion - I love original art so I jumped on it. Have a good place for it in the new home!

Organised the pantry. The new house has a HUGE pantry - this one is just a small walk-in and I can't fill it! The twisty teakettle was a present from my partner, an antique Japanese doohicky. I purchased a TONNE of plates and bowls from this place - I've kept them packed until after we move. I'm trying to keep the kitchen very minimal in style of what's in there - eg; only using Le Cruset + handmade kitchenware + pantry organisation. The yellow crate has all my Japanese tableware!

I purchased some neat recycled coconut bowls, too, with bamboo cutlery. My partner wouldn't ever use these but I really dig them.

You can see the IKEA purchases on the right - currently being used as Vegemite storage of course! Drawer inserts mostly.

Our first fencing effort, done!

Okea drawer inserts. Of course, Kmart came out with a knockoff once I'd bought these.

Kitchen tap. Just wanted something nickel, pullout and not too expensive.

Went out again tonight. Almost finished bricks and patched up the plaster!

Dark photos sorry, was night.

Related
13/01/2024
Poorly finished exposed recycled brick boundary wall.

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi all, My neighbour has built his 15m long garage on our boundary. It was agreed as part of the planning permit that the wall must be in exposed recycled brick. For some…

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum