Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Scrapped Block to roof on in 4 weeks.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Well been in our new house (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54014&start=80) now for almost 3 years and after the last winter in Melbourne we (70% wife 30% me) have decided that we want to retire in about 4 years in warmer weather. As my wife is originally from Towoomba and my sister lives in Bunderburg we started looking in Queensland. Looking at towns not too small, temperature range and narrowed it down to Bunderburg, Macay, Marybough, Hervey Bay, Townsville and Cains. Checked out land not too far out from amenities and pricing, flood zones, cyclone areas etc. This narrowed it down to Macay, Mayrbough and Hervey Bay.

We weren't thinking of buying at this stage but had to at least start looking, but in the last 3 months a small new area in Hervey Bay was opened up, good size blocks for a reasonable price ie. $180,000 for 800m2 fairly level blocks only 10 mins walk to large shopping center. As we are not retiring for 4 years we debated should be buy, build, rent. Then developer informed us some builders where looking for investors to build display homes.

David Reid Homes was one that wanted to build a display home in Hervey Bay. After talking to them its basically you choose one of their designs, modify it to your specifications and they lease it off you for 2-3 years. After end of lease they fix it up and all warranty start then including appliances. Also as its a display home, none of the appliances are used and you only get people doing walk throughs.

... More to follow...
Another advantage with building a display home is the free upgrades we are getting. We are getting 3 skylights, all smeg products including a smeg BBQ, discount on kitchen, all sinks and vanities included, upgrades power points and a lot of things at with no builders markup price (ie pool).

Have attached our current plan. The only issue with our plan is bedroom 2 being a bit of a walk to the bathroom but its only for guest so tuff.. Multipurpose room is a media room and we going to use bedroom 4 as a study.

The house is 270m2

Colour choice to follow
Looks lovely. Great that you are thinking ahead!
Exterior
Roof Colorbond Paperbark.
Brick choice is Austral brick Freedom with white mortar.

Kitchen/pantry

Corian Sage benchtops, Laminex white silk, Chamois Nuance cupboards and Laminex MetaLine sophisticat splashback.
They look bit more browner than in this photo.

Floor Tiles

Solutions Grey Gloss

Took us about 2 weeks to figure out our colour selection. Figures crossed that it will look good onces its done.
Great choice in colours ! well done for getting them done so quickly
Just make sure you get the power point upgrades right.

Nearly all the display homes I see have the standard power points and I reckon you need at least double.
bashworth
Just make sure you get the power point upgrades right.

We actually only added about 4 DGPOs. The electrical plan had heaps. BTW they are all going to be upgraded to clipsal saturn.
Well I am kinda in a can't believe mode at the moment due to the speed at which our home is being built. The block leveling and fence completed 13 november and to get to the stage of roof up and ready for bricks 15 December. Looking at completion at February 2016 and that with the 4 week break over Christmas.

Brickwork started 16 Dec. Very happy with the brick choice.

Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

24/05/2023
Removing gyprock from besser block wall

Kitchen Splashbacks

Thanks again, appreciate the advice

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum