Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our First Build - GJ Gardener Bridgewater

Page 53 of 54
wow!!! Shell - we need some tips on retaining walls lmao

i was just looking at the gradient of your driveway and your little car...i didn't realise it was that steep! Are you planning on doing a path or steps down to the porch?
It's pretty steep. We are putting in steps between the driveway and retaining wall.

Then in front we have stepping stones going to the side where we will have a gravel visitor parking area so people don't have to take the driveway or steps.

charlibear
2 years
were you fencing paddocks for the horses?

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643

All boundaries, then the internal fencing for the horses. The boundaries was the longest and most time consuming. we've just started the backyard and side fence

shellby
My trees have finally been planted out.

I also built the front retaining wall myself today.

Hubby spent the day moving soil around on a toro digger.

Just need to keep spreading it. So far we have had 40m3 of top soil delivered. We will need some more for the other side of the house.

Starting to finally look like a yard we can use.

Wow looks amazing! Well done guys

shellby
I have been wondering if I could get a BBQ plate for the SMEG gas cooktop we are getting - turns out yep I can get a griddle plate, which would be so great - however $349 means I may have to save up after we move after all the other little costs that are adding up.

Hi Shelby,
I'm only just beginning to read your blog so apologies this is from AGES ago, but I have a question about this.
Did you end up getting the BBQ plate?
If so, do you have to get the plate that "goes with" your particular stove... or can you get a generic BBQ plate and use it on any gas hob?
That's a REALLY intriguing idea... to be able to BBQ inside anytime I want to... and it'd save me loads of $ in not having to buy a BBQ along with all the other things I'm going to need to purchase when I move in...
Cheers!
Next question for you when you have a moment please Shellby?
I loved your WIP with the benchtop and making it a mini butler's, I'm thinking about adding something like that to my build.
Pretty please can you let me know the dimensions of your WIP?

I've learnt SO much from your thread and have finally finished it, congratulations on getting to the end and moving in, your landscaping looks fabulous, I hope you have a very merry Christmas in your new home
Scubabe - I thought I had replied before, sorry for not doing so.

I haven't brought the griddle plate for my stove top as I haven't had the money sadly. Hopefully in the next 12 months. I'm guessing you would need to buy a plate that fits your stovetop - you have these grates things over your gas elements and basically you remove it and put the griddle there instead - so you would need to make sure it fits your top.

I think it will be great doing things like cooking steak, melting cheese on your patties etc everything like a restaurant. That is my dream to have one by the end of next year for my cooking.

I love the benchtop in my WIP as well, its great having everything benchtop related hidden away so the kitchen always looks neat and tidy as it has nothing on it. The size of my WIP is 1.8mx1.1m I think, looking off the plans. The bench is 400mm wide.

Changes I would make though would be to have the bench wrap around the side as well and have shelves above the bench wrap around above it. I would also made it wider, even just an extra 500mm will make it feel a bit more wider and then you will also have some more space to store things. I couldn't do it as my house was built from the front setback to the back easement, but if I could this is one thing I would change.

I hope everything with your build goes well - feel free to ask any extra questions. I know how some things can seem little or big when building but once in its changes to the other way around.
So we had our first christmas in our new home. Its weird to think 12 months ago we just got our DA approved and now here I am watching a movie in my lounge room. So even though it does seem like a long road, once your in it seems like such a short time really.

I have already though had my first big stuff up in my nice new house. On Christmas morning we were heading out and I put my car in drive instead of reverse (as I was parked in front of the garage as my parents were here and I had their car parked inside) and drove into my garage door
yep so stupid of me. Then as hubby came out not very happy with me and lifted the door up I freaked out and put the car in drive again, and yes drove into my dad's car.

Luckily my car is okay and dad's car now has a scratch but it is fine as my car is higher than his so my bumper hit above his. As for my garage door, it didn't fair well. My 3 bottom panels are now dented and the rollers and bits holding the panels together are all broken. For now we have secured it as all the repair guys are on holidays and hopefully for now they can replace the broken bits and we will live with the dented panels and save up to replace them later.

I soooo can't believe I did that and to my nice new house. I have never done something like that before ever - I was just so stressed over the community christmas lunch I was running and tired after spending the past 24 hours making salads, picking up meat and wrapping presents for 100 people that I just wasn't thinking.

The sad part was hubby had finally emptied half the garage so I could now park my car in the garage instead of outside, we just left it for my parents so they wouldn't have to walk down the steep driveway. Now I have to wait until its repaired to use it.

Oh well, at least noone was hurt.
Sorry to hear that Shel!

Hope it will be an easy fix and you save in short time to change the panels...
Oh shell, that must have been devastating for you!!

Sounds like a good thing you do with the community lunch!!

Here's hoping it's an easy fix and not too costly for you

viewtopic.php?t=83643
Oh no that sounds so stressful!
Hope it's easy enough to fix

shellby
I have already though had my first big stuff up in my nice new house. On Christmas morning we were heading out and I put my car in drive instead of reverse (as I was parked in front of the garage as my parents were here and I had their car parked inside) and drove into my garage door

Oh well, at least noone was hurt.

Oh nooooooooo! Shellby, I'm so sorry to hear that, you must have been devastated. But yes, agreed, in the grand scheme of things which could go wrong this was pretty minor - at least you weren't in the garage and drove forward and smashed the wall/frame!

I hope you get it repaired quickly and cheaply now that suppliers should be opening back up for trade again this week.

Congrats on your first Xmas in your new home!!
shellby
Scubabe - I thought I had replied before, sorry for not doing so.

Haha! No bother, I accidentally hadn't clicked "notify me of replies" so I hadn't seen your response either!

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me though, I do appreciate it.

shellby
I'm guessing you would need to buy a plate that fits your stovetop - you have these grates things over your gas elements and basically you remove it and put the griddle there instead - so you would need to make sure it fits your top.

Ahhhhh yeah that totally makes sense. Oh well, will wait and see if I can find one for my cooker after I move in, don't want to buy it in advance in case the builder ends up changing the model or something (I'm probably still 8 months away from a finished house!)

shellby
The size of my WIP is 1.8mx1.1m I think, looking off the plans.

Hmmmmm. Mine appears to be 1.4m x 1.5m according to my plans, so maybe it won't work as well for me... Thanks so much for the dimensions, much apopreciated! I do love the idea of having the microwave and kettle and toaster and things out of sight. Plus I don't have a heck of a lot of bench space in my kitchen, so when space is at a premium...

Cheers!!!
Did I mention after driving into the door I then put the car in drive again while hubby was doing his nut and confused me and then drove into my dads car in the garage - luckily it wasn't parked close to the wall in front otherwise I would be up for a new wall.

Still waiting for garage guy to come back from holidays next week so I can book in for a repair.

We have changed ideas for our front landscaping. Thinking of doing a platform in the front from front door to front retainer and across the front of the house with like pyramid steps up side of driveway. See if I can find a photo to explain.

We have found we like sitting out the front sometimes.

Still haven't done anymore landscaping due to heat. Can't wait for summer to pass and get back into it.

Oh no, must have been pretty scary at the time?!?

Sounds nice with the platform

Kinda like this

Started my next garden bed, got some nice weeping cherries and planting blueberry bushes between them. I will have a 3rd cherry but I won't get it until September though.

Hoping to have the front gate up this week - still repairing the stupid rain water tank piping.

Plan is to then frame that piece in front of that garden bed and have gravel laid. Then we will have our visitor parking and trailer parking spot.

Next I hope to do the boarder for my weeping mulberry beds and same on the other boarder so my poor neighbour doesn't have to stress about my 'weeds' looking like it's their front yard as they are a battle axe.

Tomorrow my garage door will be fixed - yippee!

Here is a photo of the start of the garden bed I started yesterday - not a great photo sorry.

Finished planting the bed, just getting some soil and mulch to fill it this week. We have left the back part uncut etc until we have placed the fence and gate across to make sure it all comes together.

We had big plans for this coming weekend with the yard - but they are predicting 37-38 days so that may not happen.

Here is what I have for my bed.

This is my pre planning for my edging for my front bed with my weeping mulberries.

Here is my mess of my front yard we are hoping to fix sometime this next month depending on the weather.

And where my pyramid stairs will be going.

I have good news - my neighbour no longer speaks to me ☺ it's bliss. She hates the weeping cherries and my garden bed being just on my side if the boundary. I actually had to move her garden edging as it was on my side by a heap - which she hated.

She now knows I don't give her an inch and stick to my rights and what I can do. Everyone normally gives in to her to shut her up or keep her happy - and well I'm not that type of person with people like her, I know her history - country town - so no way I was going to bend down to her as next week she would push for something else.

Turns out they were kicked out of their retirement village in yamba because of their behavior wanting everything their way weather it would affect them or not.

So life is nice not having to pretend to smile at her. Rest of my neighbours are great, we all chat and hang out each other's chatting etc while she death stares us - as everyone is now doing what I do and not bending to her.

Your beds look great!! I love the tricycle, super cute!!
The pyramid stair will look lovely there and will suit that spot perfectly!
Hahahaha seriously had to laugh about your neighbour!! Hahaha that's perfect that she doesn't speak to you anymore!!
Good on you for moving her garden edging, it's not her land so not her right to have it there.

Seriously not surprised the old bat was kicked out of a retirement village

viewtopic.php?t=83643
Wow looking good lovely!!
Quick question. What are pyramid stairs?

Related
12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

19/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

So it looks like we finally have some movement on site! Definitely later than expected, but I'll take any progress at this point. I'll drop by over the weekend to get…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum