Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

I want YOU....to tell me if you'd add/change anything in my

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

As the title suggests we've got our 3rd version of our floorplan back from our builder and its got everything we wanted (I'll just be change the swing side on one door)

Just thought I'd put it out to the forum to see if anyone else's experience would change anything.

Naturally a lot of design is personal preference or site specific (I.e. the garage orientation) but thought I'd see if there some other great ideas out there.

Cheers,
Phil

Looks pretty good but I would get rid of the walk in linen as its a waste. Make the living room slightly bigger and have doors on the linen. Having the WIL with storage on one side doesnt add anything. Another option is to shift the garage wall 500 in and then you can put shelving along the side, this effectively doubles your space usage.

Food for thought.

Cheers
Mark
The only thing I would personally change is the two 400mm windows on the back wall of the bed 1, if the solid wall between them is long enough to accommodate a queen bed and two besides then happy days but if not then you might have to put your bedside tables in front of the windows. Otherwise it looks great.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. The drawing is labeled correctly I should have mentioned, the living room is actually a TV/media room for my wife and I and the rumpus is a kids play room.

Aussiemark - were u suggesting to make the WIL shorter, maybe 500mm deep and not walk in and then bring the opposite laundry wall in 500mm to make an alcove in the garage opposite for shelving?

Philip, yes exactly or make the room on the other side of the laundry bigger. The walk in piece serves no purpose is the storage is on one side only. Its wasteful and can be better utilised in either of the two rooms. If you are happy with living room side then make an alcove in the garage for shelving.
Yeah the living room size is ample for us, but storage is always good, especially for manly things in the garage

The way the door opens in your Ensuite toilet, either make it opening the other way or a sliding door. Looking at it, swings to the toilet.
Same as others WIL you can utilise that space better - whether garage or Living
Just a thought to put in sliding glass door between entry and Family/meals so able to close it off, for heating or cooling. Personal preference though.
And I would do all wardrobe doors sliding.
Yeah I've told the builder to change the ensuite toilet door, that was just an oversight.

I've always had sliding doors to robes but my builder suggested normal ones...when I think about all the times that some part of the robes is always hard to access regardless of where the doors are, I tend to see the benefit of normal doors.

I guess if you had triple sliding doors to robes it would be better, but I think there is merit in normal doors, well see I guess

Ilk definitely speak to the wife though about the WIL and adding a cavity door to hallway / family area.

Thanks again.

My 2 cents.. Think of which areas of the house you are going to spend most and enhance them.. To get more light and air in.. I would move the pantry away from the wall and have the kitchen facing the garden/sidewalk which can have nice flower/water feature to look into.. Also, I'd swap bed 2 and rumpus, and then add a sliding door to rumpus opening into outdoor area, so that family/meals/rumpus cluster would be a nice big open space.. Light and airy.. Then change the wall between family and the new rumpus to be a see-through wall or half-wall, so that when you get into the house from porch/entry it would feel nice and big from there as you can look into the garden behind the window in the new rumpus.

Sent using Tapatalk mobile app
Philip_J
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. The drawing is labeled correctly I should have mentioned, the living room is actually a TV/media room for my wife and I and the rumpus is a kids play room.

Aussiemark - were u suggesting to make the WIL shorter, maybe 500mm deep and not walk in and then bring the opposite laundry wall in 500mm to make an alcove in the garage opposite for shelving?

Definitely.

Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

31/01/2024
Is swimming pool cost effective to add value to new build?

Building A New House

The last home I lived in didn't have a pool and when i went to sell it the agents were not happy, even telling me to put one in to sell the place. The agents weren't happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum