Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Damn Builders!!

Page 1 of 1
I just need to vent my frustrations to people that understand.

I had handover on my property on 30/6. Really shouldn't have accepted handover as some items weren't done, but I didn't think they qualified as major.

Anyway, one of the items was the cover on my mode 3 phone point for my alarm system. I left them keys and they agreed to come and do it last week. Well, they said everything had been fixed as I requested, so went past on the weekend and discovered it hadn't been done and they'd just left my keys sitting on the stairs. So again had to courier them keys and tell them it has to be done this week as the security are coming out on Sat to install. Had telstra out this morning to connect my phone line, had to organise time off work to do this, to be told the builders haven't connected the phone to the street so they can't do anything.

My understanding of handover is that I could've moved in straight away, I'm very lucky that I can take my time or this crap would've been costing me various disconnection fees plus reconnection etc (ie internet).

What annoys me the most is that I won't get a sorry for this, I'll just be told we'll get it done. I'm in a development and I know one of the people who has handover next week, so I will be warning them not to accept handover if everything isn't done.

Sorry for the rant, I feel a bit better getting it off my chest and it means I won't start yelling at the poor CSR who is stuck in the middle (shes very good at her job, I wish she was the supervisor things would actually get done).
Don't worry about ranting at you CSR - then she can pass it on to those who need it!!

yes it is a warning to all - don't accept handover till its all done!
that is what the CSR is for, to pass on your rant to those who actually need the kick in the butt.

Concur, if it is not all fixed or in writing stating what is to be fixed and when then do not sign handover.

If it is not in writing then it does not exist - QED
Yup, we had some issues which we did not perceive as major on handover day. In Laws kept reminding us not to hand over final cheque unless everything is in writing "what to be fixed".

We did just that, we made the Supervisor write every single detail, even concrete that was dumped on our land. They tried stating that they're not responsible for rubbish, so I reminded them of their clause that stated we're responsible for the removal of trees, rubbish prior to any work .. so why should it be different for them

He had to oblige ... maybe you should consider speaking to your CSR that you want something in writing that they are looking into it. If you have e-mail address of your CSR or anyone from the Company that you talk to about the progress of the house, even better ... ask them via e-mail about it cos' that way, you have it in black and white - that it is a 'Real" issue that needs to be handled by them.

If you choose to talk to them, just use the 'innocent, simple minded" card, like ... "look, I'm not sure when you'll get to fix this but I'd appreciate it if you could advice me in writing when it'll be done so I don't have to hassle you everyday cos' I hate to do that as I9'm sure you're busy with other matters ... ummm ... not unless you're getting it fixed in a day or two".

I hope turns turn out for the better. Just remember to breath and exhale!!! My thoughts are with you
mmm I tend to use a much more direct approach . . .

here is a list of items to be fixed

when you have fixed them please advise me and I will inspect your re-work.

When I agree that ALL items are to be satisfaction I wil signoff on handover and you will get your cheque.

Also please note that I am now formally giving you a delay note. In other words the clock on liquidated damages has started. You should do this everytime there is the slightest delay, notify them that they are now in a delay notice situation.

If they argue ask them how much float they have left in their schedule and if they do have float left ask why they feel they are entitled to claim such float as float belongs to the client.

play them at their own game.
All the items were noted as not done and I signed something saying this on the day of handover.

They were all supposed to be fixed last week. If it doesn't get sorted this week the CEO will be getting a 'nice' letter from me. I will also be speaking to consumer affairs about my rights regarding this. I know some of these can be done as part of the defects liability period, but the phone point is definately something that should be done straight away.

The other kind of urgent thing I'm still waiting on is a letterbox (its a shared letterbox) and my house number. I'm sick of people calling me cause they don't know which house is mine (none of them have numbers).
Hey natbut,

So you've been waiting 10 days for the building company to honour their commitment to deliver what you have already paid for.....not good enough.

Now let's see...we had handover November 7 and we're still waiting to have agreed items rectified. Yep, that 217 days since handover.......the actual build only took 160 days.

Guess what you've got to look forward to next.....the six month warranty inspection where they will agree to fix a whole range of other items.

We had our inspection early May....have only had a couple of the new items fixed. The 2nd storey balcony is now having its 3rd attempted repair and has been unusable / unsafe since they pulled it apart mid May.

We have found large doses of alcohol taken regularly helps to dull the feeling of utter helplessness at the incompetence and ****** of these people.

Ahhhh, another satisfied Adenbrook Homes client…….NOT!!

I feel for you......but just remember.....it could be a whole lot worse
3 blocks up fromn our are building with your lot, they had the foam slab bits delivered the other day, hope the local louts have not kicked them to pieces, and do hope theirs goes smoother then yours

all the best
northlakes
We have found large doses of alcohol taken regularly helps to dull the feeling of utter helplessness at the incompetence and ****** of these people.

I had better stock up then...........
Related
10/05/2023
Builders

General Discussion

Look at your bill from the electricity company. It should detail the charges. You will need to do some estimating and some calculations. Then charge the…

15/06/2023
WA Builders

Building A New House

Site works are just about to start on our build with Blueprint in Midvale. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=106894

8/06/2023
Small builders in Western Sydney (NSW)

Building A New House

Hi all, We are looking to build a new two storey house in western Sydney. Can anyone recommend a smallish builder to go with? We are trying to stay away from the big…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum