Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Aveling in Balwyn Estate, WA

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone

I thought I would like to show people our build with Aveling and discuss some of the ups and downs and experiences with various building companies. The first post will be about some of our experiences and the subsequent posts will be about our building process.

A timeline is shown below and I will look to hyperlink the timeline to show what page it is on.

14/04/2015 - Started shopping around for builders. We spent a lot of time looking at the displays online to get a sense of what we liked.
19/04/2015 - Met with some sales reps - most happy with New Generation
22/04/2015 - Signed for our land and put down the deposit. We were given 60 days to complete everything.
25/04/2015 - Went to some more displays. Aveling sales rep recommended to go to another display for something more to our liking. Met the sales person there.
27/04/2015 - Received sketch plan from sales rep from Aveling. Next week was spent going back and forward to change a few little things.
30/04/2015 - Signed with Aveling
3/05/2015 - Arranged our settlement agent
27/05/2015 - Met with Intelligent Homes to deck out our house.
10/06/2015 - Received building plans. Contacted Balwyn for an extension on the land.
16/06/2015 - Confirmation of prestart
24/06/2015 - Flooring and window treatment quotes
9/07/2015 - Prestart

13/07/2015 - Loan approved through Bankwest

29/07/2015 - Settlement
31/07/2015 - Final documents posted and signed
Some time between the 4/08 to the 11/08 - Earthworks and Footings. Link TBA.
20/08/2015 - Slab Down
9/09/2015 - Bricks Delivered
14/09/2015 - Bricklaying Commenced
My partner and I had been looking at displays for some time around Perth and decided to bite the bullet on purchasing some land in Balwyn Estate. The land salesperson was good as he liked to get down to the point and didn't like to fluff around - which I liked.

We visited many project builders display homes and gained some opinions on the various companies and personnel.

We went with Aveling because the Sales and Design rep was quick, responsive and made little changes that we liked. To us it was as if he knew what we liked and used that as part of the design.

We nearly went with New Generation as we both really like their display homes and the staff were always friendly, though a little slower. From comparing what we got a prestart, I think New Generation had slightly better standard range materials. What made us go with Aveling over New Gen was the plan we liked better and the responsiveness of the Sales and Design rep. Overall, New Gen provided us with a positive experience and would recommend them.

Right in the beginning we met a Sales and Design for Homebuyers Centre. They were fine and would recommend them, but we wanted something a bit more fancier and custom.

We liked how the Reddink sales staff were chill and would only engage in conversation if we approached them. After viewing a lot of different displays and having been approached by a lot of sales staff, it was refreshing, but obviously, not for everyone. We liked how the displays had lots of storage space.

Ross North displays are nice and the sales rep was all about removing as much wasted hall space as possible, which was good. However, the sales rep took way too long (2 weeks) to get back to us about some house plans, so they were struck off the list.

Aussie Living were struck off pretty quickly as looking at their displays, as to us, they are looking quite dated and we saw some things that probably needed fixing up.

Dale Alcock was a bit out of our price range. Celebration homes were fine, one sales rep we liked and the other one we didn't.

Smart homes for living were fine and responsive to the couple of emails we sent.

Other companies I would rather not comment on due to the rules.

Overall I think the quality of the display homes and the quality of the sales staff really gave us a first impression that made or broke whether we would go with that company or not. There is a lot of choice, so it's easy to be fussy. Take the time, do your homework and don't be pressured: you're the one in control.
Our house floor plan. It was meant to resemble a Zodiac, but it ended up being pretty much our own custom build. We had a lot of extra stone bench top, so we decided to make a bar using it. The study can be used as a fourth bedroom for resale, but we intend on using it as a study/gaming room.
Hi Infuego, we are thinking of building with Aveling as well, any updates with the build?
malayaco
Hi Infuego, we are thinking of building with Aveling as well, any updates with the build?

Hi. Sorry I didn't check this in awhile.

The bricklaying has commenced. I think things are coming along quite quickly thus far. They quoted us between 3-4 weeks for the bricklaying dependent on the weather.

My partner and I are estimating around Easter will be when our house gets completed (due to the close for the Christmas holidays).

I will upload some pictures soon.
Back of the house. I don't have any pictures currently with others in view.

Frames and front door.
Looking good!!! Thanks for the update!
I like your plan. Posting to follow
Related
9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum