Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Edgewater Homes

Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone

Been very interested in the Edgewater home and land packages going in Elara estate Marsden Park
Just hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used Edgewater in Western Sydney of there build quality and final finish

I have checked out some near complete homes of theres in Jordan Springs and I like the finish and the inclusions are great compared to other builders.
But I found it a bit worrying when looked up on product review that there was no information on Edgewater only their mother company Henleys. Henleys Homes had nothing but negative feedback online and Im worried Edgewater might be the same .

Im hoping thats not the case here for Edgewater in Sydney
Has anyone had experiences with Edgewater that they could shed some light on this query??

Thanks in advanced
Almost bought a house and land package from them but our finance fell through. From our experience they were professional and their workmanship seemed good. The house we were going to buy ended up being finished two months ahead of schedule so that's always a plus as well.

I strongly advise against using Edgewater Homes if you plan to live there.

We moved into our Edgewater Luca 4 in Nov-14, my husband loved the floor plan and I loved the financial freedom of no progress payments, it also eliminated having to choose every little detail about the house as it was a complete turnkey home and land package in Jordan Springs.
We paid our deposit in Jan-14; our land was registered in May/Jun-14. We chased Edgewater and our solicitor asking when do they want to exchange and when do we get to make the minimal choices that are available for finishes and colour schemes etc, we were told to wait until land registration. In May-14 we found out they exchanged with another party in Mar-14 that had paid a deposit after us in Feb-14. This got sorted and we exchanged in Jun-14 and were then told we were stuck with the other parties choices as works (construction fencing had gone up) had commenced.
They were ready to settle over a month early, I was lucky enough to be able to afford it because we were told we would have to pay extra if we delayed the settlement at all.

Items that were on the inclusions didn't make it to our build, when we pointed this out during our pre-settlement inspection we were told that we must have looked at the wrong inclusions that they don't do those items anymore and that we should have spoken up earlier if we wanted them.
Edgewater were making a cluster of 10 homes at the same time in the same release area, we had our land levelled first and our roof up last. The day our slab was laid it was graffiti-ed, swear words dug into area that is now our garage floor, we have been told that they will fix this, we're still waiting.
Loose pollywaffle got into the slab in the garage, when the slab settled and we drove and walked over the areas the Styrofoam came loose, we now have holes pocketing our garage slab, and we have been told that they will fix this, we're still waiting. Who knows if the rest of the slab is like this under the floor coverings.

The land is clay and natural drainage is non-existent, our backyard never dries completely. Drainage was put in that fixed down one side of the house before settlement at our request. Our alfresco floods, not just because of the landscape but also because it is sloped towards the house and there is no drain in it, we were told there is nothing they can do, the alfresco flooring is a part of the slab. Post-settlement Edgewater sent out their plumber contractor, he said that there should be several drainage points on our site that haven't been put in and then also said they could be put in now at our own cost.
Landscaping out the front was not finished upon settlement and required a few visits after a sink hole was created by the person who levelled the sewerage inspection point. They also topped up the soil out the front and re-laid the grass to hide that the rendering on the front of the house doesn't actually go all the way down.
The front concrete step wobbles, we have been told that they will fix this, we're still waiting.

Be careful of the appliances, Technika. The oven/stove is fantastic, the dishwasher and microwave (we're on our second replacement microwave now, they don't stop beeping on their own and apparently this is a common complaint) are awful.
The air-con unit they've installed for the ducted air we upgraded to is too small for the size of the house and cannot cope in summer with cooling a zone let alone both zones, we got to discover this moving in on a 45 degree day.
The locks that come with the house don't deadbolt, which means your insurance is void if you are robbed, ensure you change your locks over after moving into an Edgewater.

The timber laminate floor boards were scratched by the people who installed the oven prior to settlement, during our pre-settlement inspection we were told they would be replaced, they weren't. The timber laminate was also not cut to fit in some corners of the house and you can see the slab beneath, Edgewater said this couldn't be helped as we must have dislodged the boards walking on them. I advise against getting them as the edges bubble and lift and the boards move.
A tile guy has been out to look at our wet area tiles and told us that Edgewater clearly didn't have them sealed correctly as they remember every drop of water.

The bottom kitchen cupboards are falling off the wall, sinking towards the oven.
There is a nail coming out of a wall in the WIR, not the sharp end, the screw end with a big chuck of paint.
We arranged our fly screens through Edgewater so they would be installed prior to settlement, the back sliding doors were not cut to fit and took over 3 months for them to arrange to be replaced, so we spent summer with either bugs in the house or no fresh air from our alfresco area because of the gaps.

There have been little things fixed: like the dishwasher not being installed correctly; a window being absolutely covered in scratches replaced; a cracked tile replaced; the external garage door not being levelled and therefore had to be lifted to open and close was planed; a hole in the cornice was filled; the racking loose in a wardrobe hanging out of the wall before it was even used was reattached; the oil used on the front door lock ran and stained the front door in the heat - this was fixed, I just don't remember how.

We had one guy (the supervisor) tell us to not point out anything until our pre-settlement inspection, anything we notice during the build we can't comment on. That same guy then told us at our pre-settlement inspection that basically they'll fix up a few things that he writes down but otherwise everything else should wait until our 13 week assurance document is done so that everything is listed all together and we don't miss anything. We had a different guy for the assurance paperwork who told us that anything we put in the assurance that the supervisor didn't list in the pre-settlement inspection means that those things we've damaged ourselves and therefore won't be fixed by Edgewater.

And lots of other things that I can't think of while I sit at my desk at work. Bottom line their contractors don't care to do quality workmanship and Edgewater doesn't care to ensure quality is provided.
Thanks for that input sounds like you had and still are having a terrible experience. I had given them a 1000 deposit so when a package came up in Marsden Park Elara I would have it reserved for me. Some things in the homes he was showing me did seem a little *******. A recess in the wall for TV to sit was not level.
I've since had my deposit refunded and put a deposit on land in Greenway estate.
Edgewater did seem tempting to me for the price you pay but maybe that the reason there's so many complaints going around.
Wish you all the best with rest of it all

Related
14/06/2023
VK Platinum Homes or Laksh Homes?

Building A New House

Ask for references and speak to them. If they are defensive or try to avoid the request, walk.

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

10/03/2024
New Homes - Arli Homes

Building A New House

Hi there! Putting the feelers out there for those who have (or almost) built with Arli homes! Interested in your experiences who've built from their stock home designs…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum