Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Bayside : Our Glendale 45

Page 18 of 32
Drew01
PCI is done and dusted. Most of the issues were paint related, however most of our windows need looking at sure to not being correctly made, and there being gaps - and subsequently the windows won't be waterproof... A bit disappointing given the windows were all serviced last week - and half of them didn't operate correctly today

Should have keys in 2 weeks or so

Sounds like you'll be in before us....

I'm amazed how windows seem to get damaged right at the end, ours were fine up till PCI.
Drew01
PCI is done and dusted. Most of the issues were paint related, however most of our windows need looking at sure to not being correctly made, and there being gaps - and subsequently the windows won't be waterproof... A bit disappointing given the windows were all serviced last week - and half of them didn't operate correctly today

That's great news Drew. I have heard that the windows M now use are cheap and nasty

Hoping all goes to schedule and you are in your new home in the coming fortnight or so. Hope the kids settle in to their new school quickly.
blackcat20
Drew01

I'm amazed how windows seem to get damaged right at the end, ours were fine up till PCI.

bugger about the windows.

what windows did you end up getting? southern star 300 series?
madj-m
blackcat20
Drew01

bugger about the windows.

what windows did you end up getting? southern star 300 series?
Yep, 300 series. They've also changed the winder mechanism, and they're not as good as they used to be

blackcat20
Drew01

Remains to be seen I guess - these just seen to be bad workmanship... If they'd not sealed them up with clear silicon, we wouldn't have picked the defects up.

The other thing we couldn't understand was how so many screw heads had popped through the gyprock after painting had been signed off

shokel1975
Drew01

That's great news Drew. I have heard that the windows M now use are cheap and nasty

Hoping all goes to schedule and you are in your new home in the coming fortnight or so. Hope the kids settle in to their new school quickly.

The windows certainly aren't Rylock quality, but they're ok - fully expect we'll need a few service calls on them before they're perfectly adjusted...

Drew01
shokel1975
Drew01

The windows certainly aren't Rylock quality, but they're ok - fully expect we'll need a few service calls on them before they're perfectly adjusted...

did you get awnings throughout the whole house? we were thinking of getting a combination of windows in various spots, sliding, awning, louvre, sashless double hung all 300 series double glazed but are a little concerned on the quality. i've been down to the showroom and wasn't overly impressed.
madj-m
did you get awnings throughout the whole house? we were thinking of getting a combination of windows in various spots, sliding, awning, louvre, sashless double hung all 300 series double glazed but are a little concerned on the quality. i've been down to the showroom and wasn't overly impressed.

Yep, because we went double glazed throughout, we went awning windows throughout, as we were told we couldn't have anything else.

That didn't worry me, as I wanted awnings anyway, primarily due to security.

I know of people who have replaced their windows with Rylock on the day of handover - in that scenario, they had 100 series single glazed windows during the build...

I can't see that Metricon wouldn't install a different manufacturers window, you'd just pay more

Drew01
madj-m

Yep, because we went double glazed throughout, we went awning windows throughout, as we were told we couldn't have anything else.

I know of people who have replaced their windows with Rylock on the day of handover - in that scenario, they had 100 series single glazed windows during the build...

I can't see that Metricon wouldn't install a different manufacturers window, you'd just pay more

ha, funny you mention that, i'll be getting quotes for a rip a replace of most of the windows once we have our schedule, not sure if its going to be worth the extra cost though. window quality is a big thing for me and i'm not really happy with southern star.

we are still in preliminary stage, but we've been told we can have any window on southern stars offering. you were told differently?
Drew, may I ask how much did it cost you to upgrade to double glazed throughout? Thanks
madj-m
Drew01
madj-m

ha, funny you mention that, i'll be getting quotes for a rip a replace of most of the windows once we have our schedule, not sure if its going to be worth the extra cost though. window quality is a big thing for me and i'm not really happy with southern star.

we are still in preliminary stage, but we've been told we can have any window on southern stars offering. you were told differently?

I can't see why you couldn't have Jeldwen or Rylock, but you wouldn't get the cost "saving" of the volume purchasing Metricon has with Southern Star. The windows on the whole are pretty good, there's just some quality control issues that shouldn't be there...

I've got a mate at Perception Windows in Hallam, and they supply a lot of builders, and their field guy said they've installed into Metricon builds in the past, so your levels of success may vary...

Melbournevic
Drew, may I ask how much did it cost you to upgrade to double glazed throughout? Thanks
About $6k from memory

Drew01
Melbournevic
About $6k from memory

Thanks Drew, wow it's expensive but definitely worth it.
Melbournevic
Drew01
Melbournevic
About $6k from memory

Thanks Drew, wow it's expensive but definitely worth it.
Not expensive when you consider it goes towards achieving the minimum 5 star energy rating, and you save further down the track in energy bills for heating and cooling

And a great ++ on home sale, Drew. Really a no-brainer for us all on a new build today.
Agree, will definitely add more value. I just thought so many upgrades to consider that keeps adding up.
Melbournevic
Agree, will definitely add more value. I just thought so many upgrades to consider that keeps adding up.

The upgrades are never ending! We added double glazed windows last minute, and glad we did. Hopefully it will make a difference to our energy bills!
Drew01

Congrats mate. What a quick build it has been.

Renman
Drew01

Congrats mate. What a quick build it has been.

Yeah, we're quite impressed with how it's gone, and minimal issues really

Great to hear Drew, always happy to hear good builds once in a while

Related
8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum