Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building Bayside : Our Glendale 45

Page 9 of 32
I’m speechless, your Noah’s Ark makes our place look like a dinghy....
I’m tipping you won’t be popular with your neighbours once you’ve popped a double story home on that
...you might have to hand out a few more beers...
I’m sure it will be magnificent when done but what a journey you have ahead of you with your landscaping,
Saint Girl
I’m tipping you won’t be popular with your neighbours once you’ve popped a double story home on that
I’m sure it will be magnificent when done but what a journey you have ahead of you with
We always knew it was going to be tall, but it's a bit ridiculous... Have you driven past it to see it in its magnificence? Going to take some considerably week thought out landscaping

shokel1975
It’s huge! So does this mean the house will be quite elevated above ground level?
Yep... The floor level is 670mm above the ground...

Drew01
Saint Girl
I’m sure it will be magnificent when done but what a journey you have ahead of you with
We always knew it was going to be tall, but it's a bit ridiculous... Have you driven past it to see it in its magnificence? Going to take some considerably week thought out landscaping

I didn’t go past today but will definitely do a drive by tomorrow.!
Whoa Drew... looks... imposing!! Lol. Conslabulations!

Dani_J
Whoa Drew... looks... imposing!! Lol. Conslabulations!

Yep, it's the Slabinator...

Bahahhahah Arni has some competition. I am blown away at your slab height, are they building stairs up to your portico? I can’t find your plans to have a look, is your garage slab up as high? Stoked to see your slab down, it’s all finally happening now.

Tribe7
Bahahhahah Arni has some competition. I am blown away at your slab height, are they building stairs up to your portico? I can’t find your plans to have a look, is your garage slab up as high? Stoked to see your slab down, it’s all finally happening now.

Hey Tribe,

Yeah - the garage is 135mm below the house floor, as are the alfresco and portico.

Pretty ridiculous, but Melbourne Water wouldn't let us build otherwise...

We've gone with THE cheapest access at the front to get the occupancy certificate, which is pine tread stairs. Otherwise, we were looking at another $2k for formed concrete, that we would put a deck over..

The plan at this stage is for 4' square steps up the front yard to the portico, which will be tiled in a non-slip version of what's going into the wet areas.

Not dissimilar to what Orph did with their place, only we're going to use Modwood type product to minimise maintenance.

Out the back, we're planning to extend the alfresco onto a deck, wth corner steps down to the garden

Hey Drew,

How will you design your drive way? will you box up a solid ramped driveway into your garage? Sorry for the questions. When I realized your garage floor height is 535mm above the ground height my mind boggled

That’s frustrating you guys have to comply with Melbourne waters insane requests. Those concrete stairs are crazy expensive. The stairs off the extended deck sound great and will look amazing.

I’m really looking forward to seeing it all come together

We've got some ideas, Tribe. The driveway to the garage, we're currently thinking of ag-mixed asphalt, with brick edging, which means I'll be laying bricks for a few weeks after work! Asphalt is about 40% the price of exposed aggregate concrete.

The concrete was drug money, so I forced the issue to get pine steps for handover, which still is costing us $800... I could build them myself for $200, but they won't let me, not can we use hire steps for C of O.

We may batter up to the driveway, or have steps going up to it, we're not sure yet. The gradient will be 1 in 8 approximately, so not obscene, but still ridiculous

Out the back, we do want a pool for the kids, and the budget will pretty much only extend to fibreglass. Again, Melbourne Water are a thorn in the side, and there's an easement somewhere in the yard, even though they can't tell us where their asset is... We're thinking 5.5 x 3.2m which should go across the back of the house, rather than long ways (and keep us out of trouble with the easement). The game plan is to tie that into whatever we do with the deck, but to keep some yard for veggie gardens and fruit trees. We don't need heaps of play space for the kids as we back onto a park with a playground, and will also have a 35m sealed driveway for them to ride their bikes up and down

And for a back yard garage, we're currently thinking about modifying a couple of shipping containers and configuring them as a double garage with roller doors and a skillion roof for catching all our garden water and holding the solar water tubes for the pool... So many things to think about - and budget for

Spoke with our site manager on Friday, what a nice bloke - our last CSC told me we're very lucky to have him as he pays good attention to detail...

Slab finish and dampcourse was installed when I was down there earlier in the week, frames due on Wednesday, and the ground floor should be framed out with a week.

At this stage, he's estimating roof, getting and connected downpipes by the end of the month.

Thats great to hear Drew! It will no doubt make the building process alot easier.

It's awesome once the frame is up and you can make out the rooms
Drew01
Spoke with our site manager on Friday, what a nice bloke - our last CSC told me we're very lucky to have him as he pays good attention to detail...

Slab finish and dampcourse was installed when I was down there earlier in the week, frames due on Wednesday, and the ground floor should be framed out with a week.

At this stage, he's estimating roof, getting and connected downpipes by the end of the month.

That slab is beyond crazy! Enjoy watching the walls go up 😉
Took the kids for a drive today, and from Wednesday when the frames were delivered, the guys have done an awesome job so far...

From the front left

Garage side

Family Room and kitchen, panorama looking into rumpus

Alfresco and rumpus rear of house

Looking good Andrew. Nice to see they’ve laid some wood chip around the foundations. Hopefully you won’t end up with the mud around your house like we did during our build.
Drew01
Took the kids for a drive today, and from Wednesday when the frames were delivered, the guys have done an awesome job so far...

From the front left

Garage side

Thats one beefy slab for sure. Congrats on frame start!
Great progess! I love how quick this stage seems to be. Enjoy seeing your house start to come together 😀
Congrats...looks like they had made a lot of progress!
Mt.view
Drew01

From the front left

Garage side

Thats one beefy slab for sure. Congrats on frame start!

awesome progress
Gotta love progress

Related
8/11/2023
Our house was beautiful until Distinctive Homes destroyed ou

General Discussion

of course there are legal avenues. You've already mentioned it. Sue them. I find it odd that lawyers wouldnt be willing to take on the case, given CCT evidence and…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum