Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our second home-JG King Memphis - We are in!

Page 42 of 48
Any updates on a potential start for you Bank?
surtees
I think it is the same guy that has done the rest of the house he is a "real" chippy, not sure why the poor quality maybe his sick of coming to our house who know? Funny thing was that our SS said he is hard to get in contact with, I would think contacting your workers would be a key to building... so if you can't easily contact him wouldn't that change his job security?

Reading anyone's thread I don't know how builders can have all the issues they have when building houses it is there business/job. Can you imagine if car manufacturers built cars like some of the house building stories you hear? They'd go out of business but for some reason it's expected and accepted in house building.

It really does send you to the looney bin (rocking in the corner of my padded room)

The quality of the work may well come down to being paid a low amount or simply there's no-one else to give the work to due to a boom in construction.

Also, there's no prestige in working in a trade so it is difficult to recruit new apprentices. And, many employers are reluctant to take on an apprentice as they are not as cheap as they once were.

It is totally unacceptable to try and pass less than ordinary work as good enough.
No haven't heard anything. Not surprised, the office has only been open since Monday and we have no idea what the councils shut down was or if our application was even looked at before Christmas. Unlikely, despite us calling the day before we had the letters to say "we'll have them tomorrow" our emails and voice messages were ignored for 4 business days so they were only submitted to council 2 days before Christmas shut down. Will ask kings to follow up with council today, if we can get hold of them.
SquirtyChookGirl
surtees
I think it is the same guy that has done the rest of the house he is a "real" chippy, not sure why the poor quality maybe his sick of coming to our house who know? Funny thing was that our SS said he is hard to get in contact with, I would think contacting your workers would be a key to building... so if you can't easily contact him wouldn't that change his job security?

Reading anyone's thread I don't know how builders can have all the issues they have when building houses it is there business/job. Can you imagine if car manufacturers built cars like some of the house building stories you hear? They'd go out of business but for some reason it's expected and accepted in house building.

It really does send you to the looney bin (rocking in the corner of my padded room)

The quality of the work may well come down to being paid a low amount or simply there's no-one else to give the work to due to a boom in construction.

Also, there's no prestige in working in a trade so it is difficult to recruit new apprentices. And, many employers are reluctant to take on an apprentice as they are not as cheap as they once were.

It is totally unacceptable to try and pass less than ordinary work as good enough.

I understand exactly what you are saying, and agree it is unacceptable to pass off sub-standard work. That's why I related it to car manufacturers, not exactly a prestigious job or that well payed but if you turn up to pick up your brand new car and it had 3 wheels you wouldn't be accepting it and it would probably make the news. And Auto manufacturing is well and truely done for a price to maximise profit (not saying these isn't issues in auto either).

I've got friends in house construction and yes everything is done to a price, but you can still take pride in your work and I know there are a lot of trades that do take pride in their work. We have seen that through our build, guess I'm just a bit over it and knowing that if things were done right first time then we'd be in our house by now. Every bit of rework is costing us more time and money.

Bank- Very true the whole Christmas shutdown makes things slow/hard, hopefully you get an update soon.
Still no phone call from our SS. We both tried calling today to no answer or return call. He must be so over us and our house. All i want to know is what his going to do about the mortar issue thats all. I figure the rest will just happen. Really hoping to talk to him monday.

Seems a bit slack of the SS not taking calls. I'm feeling your frustration.

SS sent me a message this morning to arrange a meeting on site tomorrow. So bring on 12noon tomorrow we will have much more info to go on which is great!

julia1301
SS sent me a message this morning....

Sounds like he wasn't game to call.

Good luck with getting a satisfactory resolution.
We're still getting issues resolved months after handover.
julia1301
SS sent me a message this morning to arrange a meeting on site tomorrow. So bring on 12noon tomorrow we will have much more info to go on which is great!

That's good news. I was hoping this would be the week we both get some answers. Fingers crossed he says all the right things.
Yes thanks hopefully it is a goos outcome we also got a message from our concreter say he is meamt to start this week. So hopefully thats good signs.
How did the meeting go guys?

We were copied in on a follow up email to council yesterday but no reply yet. Man I hope he is still not on leave or we still have a long wait ahead. I think I had better go out for the day and stop hovering around the email
Yes also curious to know how you got on, Fingers crossed for a good result!
ok sorry slow reply, so much going on.
So things are progressing and looks like we are going to go down the render path on the column and maybe the pier near the entrance for balance, overall the SS acknowledges the colour change in the mortar. Still undecided about the render, we didn't really want it but it will look better then two mortar colours but doesn't fix it on the rest of the front, but should hopefully make it less noticeable.

Thoughts on this/colours? (Yes very dodge paint skills)

Also in other good news, we had a bit of a walk around with our SS through the house and pointed out a few things the need fixing up. It also looks like we will be doing PCI next Wednesday hopefully as long as he can get all the trades back through, and we COULD have our keys in the first week of Feb (fingers crossed).

Our concreter has started and said our back concrete will be done today and driverway/cross over(needs permit) tomorrow or the next day, we ended up deciding to take the back concrete all the way to the back corner of the house and have made the drive exposed 50/50 mix, a little wider and taken it to the column.

We now have a water meter and they have come back to fix up the down pipes. It is starting to feel like we have progress again and light at the end of the tunnel.
Hope your meeting went well guys. Im sure Kings will try to fix it for you guys. We actually received a partial refund on our deposit ( which we never asked for), so it looks like things are changing for the better.

Banks, as far as I know the councils should be back. We have been in touch with ours, this week. Hopefully the guy you are incontact with is not on extended leave.

Woo hoo! Love the first render colour. Darker to tie in with the roof. 👍

First or last and def not second. Go with a grey base so that it ties to the other greys.

Great to hear your moving again!! I love the first picture, i think you should do the extra column as it balances it out perfectly
Woo hoo, that's awesome news. Fingers crossed for your handover in Feb. I agree, the first or last render colours look the best. The second one is quite bright, and very " in your face".

I really like the first or last! Great to hear things are moving again
Thanks guys yes it's good to feel on the positive side again.

Once the driveway and garage doors are on (this week), I'll do some more to get a better idea of colour, my only worry with the dark is to not make the house to dark, our garage door i s basalt (same as roof) too.
Related
27/03/2024
Forest adjacent with stonework -Colours for our second dwell

General Discussion

We are building a second dwelling and are currently selecting window and door frames. We want to blend into the forest and also bring out the stone work and the fake wood…

26/03/2024
JG King Home builders delay in construction

General Discussion

So, did they give you a reason? Weather? Slab not poured??

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum