Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 431 of 433
FortuneCat
SejaeD
Phoenix77
All, question on response time from site manager or construction manager. Based on your experience, how long do you have wait to get a reply from your email to them?

they should call you back within half an hour.

if you need any help with this PM I can pass you onto the right people in Metricon

curious do you work for metricon or are a subcontractor for them?

i just glanced at your website. might reach out if you can genuinely build homes that look that good at affordable prices without the crazy metricon markups

I used to work in a senior role at Metricon ( you can check my Linkedin), still have a few friends there so I can help from time to time,

With my new company, the whole idea is to build around 10-15 per year, no crazy mark ups, every home is built by a licensed builder, you can visit site every day if you like ( its your house) and you can contact us 24/7. We try and take the stress out of building. oh and you can make as many changes as you like without getting charged thousands for just asking.

And if that sounds too good to be true you get to talk to our past clients and ask them
anyway, would be happy to help if we can

Cheers

Simeon
SejaeD
I used to work in a senior role at Metricon ( you can check my Linkedin), still have a few friends there so I can help from time to time,

With my new company, the whole idea is to build around 10-15 per year, no crazy mark ups, every home is built by a licensed builder, you can visit site every day if you like ( its your house) and you can contact us 24/7. We try and take the stress out of building. oh and you can make as many changes as you like without getting charged thousands for just asking.

And if that sounds too good to be true you get to talk to our past clients and ask them

Cheers

Simeon

Will definitely be reaching out when im on leave in a few weeks. if you have any sample pictures or design layout examples (your website is quite sparse), please PM me
dfin
Phoenix77
Thanks Graham. I asked the same question too ably the positive covenant. Ryde council has it in my approval condition but I'm pretty sure M should have known about this because OSD is very common.
Do you know estimate cost to use registered surveyor for positive covenant?

Hi Phoenix77,

Just wondering have you sorted out the positive covenant for the OSD yet? I am facing the same issue right now, not sure what's the best way to move forward. For the positive covenant, do I need a solicitor or surveyor or both?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sorry, been busy with work and to tell you honestly quite stress with the build with lack of communication (lack is the most polite term I can use...)

I don't know about the positive covenant because as far I know you need to do it after the build is finish and mine is far from finish.

I can confirm though, my 1st SS has resigned (burnt out apparently). Got a couple about 2 weeks from no comms from new CM, met SM by chance when I drove through then now it seems Metricon handed me over to a new CM and SM again.
I conclude that if I don't hear anything from them, it mostly like that they change your CM//SM whether the person resigns or whatever.
Got told that Metricon's management doesn't allow SM to tell client under handover is "complete". I am finding this a total bollock, when will no comms be better than just a simple one saying "be patient, we are passing your details to a new team".

SejaeD, do you know how to escalate issue if SM or CM or even the building admin assigned to them is not responding at all?
Is there a complaint number for Metricon?

Btw, I found out during my chance meet with SM that even though my roof is not fully complete at the front of the house, they have completed the insulation installation (ceiling and wall).
I am not a builder but wouldn't it get wet if it rains? And it has been raining like crazy for the last 3 weeks.
I really don't understand.....
FortuneCat
SejaeD

Cheers

Simeon

Will definitely be reaching out when im on leave in a few weeks. if you have any sample pictures or design layout examples (your website is quite sparse), please PM me

I will PM you some stuff tomorrow. Everyone of our homes is customised to a budget, so whether you have $600, 700 or 800k we come to you and design to your block and your requirements.
I'll send you a couple of designs we have done
Phoenix77
dfin
Phoenix77
Thanks Graham. I asked the same question too ably the positive covenant. Ryde council has it in my approval condition but I'm pretty sure M should have known about this because OSD is very common.
Do you know estimate cost to use registered surveyor for positive covenant?

Hi Phoenix77,

Just wondering have you sorted out the positive covenant for the OSD yet? I am facing the same issue right now, not sure what's the best way to move forward. For the positive covenant, do I need a solicitor or surveyor or both?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Sorry, been busy with work and to tell you honestly quite stress with the build with lack of communication (lack is the most polite term I can use...)

I don't know about the positive covenant because as far I know you need to do it after the build is finish and mine is far from finish.

I can confirm though, my 1st SS has resigned (burnt out apparently). Got a couple about 2 weeks from no comms from new CM, met SM by chance when I drove through then now it seems Metricon handed me over to a new CM and SM again.
I conclude that if I don't hear anything from them, it mostly like that they change your CM//SM whether the person resigns or whatever.
Got told that Metricon's management doesn't allow SM to tell client under handover is "complete". I am finding this a total bollock, when will no comms be better than just a simple one saying "be patient, we are passing your details to a new team".

SejaeD, do you know how to escalate issue if SM or CM or even the building admin assigned to them is not responding at all?
Is there a complaint number for Metricon?

Btw, I found out during my chance meet with SM that even though my roof is not fully complete at the front of the house, they have completed the insulation installation (ceiling and wall).
I am not a builder but wouldn't it get wet if it rains? And it has been raining like crazy for the last 3 weeks.
I really don't understand.....

I hear you loud and clear.

lets discuss this off line and we will work out a way to get you some help

There is a bunch of questions I will need answers too such as address etc so when I phone them they will know who's in charge.

But yes everything you raise is a major problem. You cant install insulation with with the structure not watertight. This type of thing is a major problem with project home builders. The model of an SS trying to manage 15 plus homes causes this.

In my time there, which I really enjoyed, I found the staff to be a wonderful group, its just that the project home model is broken quality wise in my opinion.

Anyway, I think I can make some phone calls for you. Just call me tomorrow

cheers

Simeon
Hello everyone..

I am new here, so excuse me for silly questions. We are in Sydney and finally decided to make deposit this week for Middleton 25.

Have anyone build this home? Or building in Sydney region.

We are scared with all the upgrades of studio M .. hopefully will learn from experience people.

If there is any blog or useful things please help me with link and info.

Thanks in advance
Question for anyone who has built with Metricon.
Are Metricon obligated to give us a copy of site tests conducted? We have paid $1500 to have the contour survey and soil test conducted and this was done a few weeks back. We are awaiting our sales person to give their pre contract presentation but they refuse to handover the contour survey and soil test report beforehand. We require this as we are having discussions with other contractors ie swimming pool and they require these reports.
mo88
Are Metricon obligated to give us a copy of site tests conducted? We have paid $1500 to have the contour survey and soil test conducted and this was done a few weeks back. We are awaiting our sales person to give their pre contract presentation but they refuse to handover the contour survey and soil test report beforehand. We require this as we are having discussions with other contractors ie swimming pool and they require these reports.

They will give this to you at some stage. We were given it a couple of weeks after it was conducted. We built in Melbourne.
shokel1975
mo88

They will give this to you at some stage. We were given it a couple of weeks after it was conducted. We built in Melbourne.

Thanks. Was it given to you prior to your pre contract presentation?
mo88
shokel1975
mo88

Thanks. Was it given to you prior to your pre contract presentation?

I can’t remember having a pre contract presentation .... we had many upgrades and changes so we had a few meetings with them. I can’t remember what came first. You should get it in plenty of time to talk to other contractors... even if it is after your meeting with M.
Hello everyone, has anyone provided your own stuff during the building? I am looking to buy some smart light switches and let the electrician to install. Is this possible?

Thanks
BECAM
Hello everyone, has anyone provided your own stuff during the building? I am looking to buy some smart light switches and let the electrician to install. Is this possible?

Thanks

Not with Metricon I don’t think. It all has to be as per your signed contract - fixtures and all to be supplied by them.
shokel1975
BECAM

Thanks

Not with Metricon I don’t think. It all has to be as per your signed contract - fixtures and all to be supplied by them.

Any chance we can talk to their electricians? I have bought my light switches but really don't want to pay for the second installation after handover.
[quote="BECAM":3qhjh63i][quote="shokel1975":3qhjh63i][quote="BECAM":3qhjh63i]Hello everyone, has anyone provided your own stuff during the building? I am looking to buy some smart light switches and let the electrician to install. Is this possible?

Thanks[/quote:3qhjh63i]

Not with Metricon I don’t think. It all has to be as per your signed contract - fixtures and all to be supplied by them.[/quote:3qhjh63i]
Any chance we can talk to their electricians? I have bought my light switches but really don't want to pay for the second installation after handover.[/quote:3qhjh63i]

You can talk to tradies onsite and they will sometimes do you favours for cashies.... but you cannot sign a contract with Metricon for a house with no switches. So you will be paying for them twice. And more than likely you may not be able to have your switches installed as they will be different to what’s in your contract. Our site supervisor told us when we asked if we could increase the height of wall tiles on-site that they couldn’t as quality control will come through at the end and ensure everything is as per the contract. I think you will probably end up changing them all over after handover.
Hi everyone... have been in our new home for four years and thinking about doing it all again!

One important thing to me is flexibility with fit out. I know Metricon have a big Studio M range but I wondered if they allow you to owner supply things like:

-appliances
-basins
-tapware

Last time we built with a volume builder we had this flexibility and could even pick anything Reece stocked as an alternative to the standard choice range.

Also wondering who Metricon use for tiles, and any experience anyone has had with installing curtains and blinds to high voided areas during construction.

Appreciate any insights you have

Hi MrsJM

We built with Metricon 5 years ago. They were pretty flexible. We supplied many of our own light fittings as we found ones we liked more than what they had on offer. We also asked them not to install the built in microwave and just leave it as a microwave cavity.

Metricon had their own tile studio. Range wasn't huge though.
Chaton
Hi MrsJM

We built with Metricon 5 years ago. They were pretty flexible. We supplied many of our own light fittings as we found ones we liked more than what they had on offer. We also asked them not to install the built in microwave and just leave it as a microwave cavity.

Thank so much for replying. I also just got an email reply from Metricon and they have stated no owner supplied items. So the next question for us is what upgraded items are available across all items such as basins, sinks, taps etc. sounds crazy I know but it’s one of the key things for us. Managed to get a real architectural finish on our last volume build because of these finishing touches. That said it looks like the upgrades available are much better than the awful choices our last volume builder offered!

Check with your site manager, not the Metricon main office. We spoke with the site manager and they gave us the contact details of the electricians etc and we just spoke to them about installing the fittings we supplied
Anyone had any issue's regarding waterproofing in their shower recess with Metricon? We have and not happy.
Had problems with water leakage in main bathroom initially, we had raised issue's and were given false info by Metricon representative. After a period of time raised the same concerns and finally got a response because we mentioned building authorities along with emails. Turned out the waterproofing had failed. So after 5 year's of first notifying Metricon they eventually came to the party.
Around the same time as the main shower was being repaired a crack appeared in ensuite shower recess. We initially thought it was the shower rose magnetic strip that Metricon had in it's range, and had fallen off was the reason. Only recently we finally organised a tiler out to replace that tile and he discovered that the ensuites waterproofing had disintegrated, hence why the tile had cracked, glue and bedding giving way to constant moisture retention due to no waterproofing. It's outside of both waterproofing warranty periods, but surely Metricon should admit that the same issue has occurred to both wet area's because it's all the same batch that was used in our build.
We are deeply disappointed with Metricons approach with the whole problem. Waterproofing is something that should be able to last a substantial amount of time without breaking down and having to be repaired well within a 10 year time frame, which in this case it has done, it's pathetic. It's put their home owner potentially out of pocket a few thousand dollar's due to Metricon using inferior products and materials. I will definitely be reconsidering using them as builders next time.

MrsJM
Chaton
Hi MrsJM

Thank so much for replying. I also just got an email reply from Metricon and they have stated no owner supplied items. So the next question for us is what upgraded items are available across all items such as basins, sinks, taps etc. sounds crazy I know but it’s one of the key things for us. Managed to get a real architectural finish on our last volume build because of these finishing touches. That said it looks like the upgrades available are much better than the awful choices our last volume builder offered!

We got to pick from any item as long as it was from one of their suppliers. I just gave them product codes and they didn't have any issues.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum