Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 421 of 433
NathanRetreat298
Has anyone else built in your area? What does their facade’s look like?

Yes and either would look fine and fit in with streetscape just wanted to see real life pictures rather than drawings.
Do a google search for the house design and facade, selecting 'images' - you can usually see some that people have posted online.
shokel1975
Do a google search for the house design and facade, selecting 'images' - you can usually see some that people have posted online.

Thanks, I have done that but can't seem to come across any bar 1
ruby_red80
shokel1975

Thanks, I have done that but can't seem to come across any bar 1

oh bummer
Plcnewhome
The HIA contract is totally one sided and NOT in favour of the consumer.

I signed a “standard” HIA fixed price contract last year and it is the biggest mistake of my life.

The builder has you by the short ones and if you get to the point where you need to terminate because they are doing the wrong thing you are screwed.

I also signed a standard HIA contract and it is so one sided its not funny
MLC
Joker
Plcnewhome
The HIA contract is totally one sided and NOT in favour of the consumer.

I signed a “standard” HIA fixed price contract last year and it is the biggest mistake of my life.

The builder has you by the short ones and if you get to the point where you need to terminate because they are doing the wrong thing you are screwed.

So true,should be illegal as they say u sign a standard hia contract that makes customers think it's a government drawn contract ,when it fact it's nothing near the best contract for consumers.

Thanks all for your feedback re HIA contract. But what to do as it has to be signed for the build to commence??

if you want Metricon to build your house, honestly not much you can do. Best advice is to find another builder. If you want PM me and i can assist
madj-m
Hi All

we are almost at building contract signing stage with M for our KDR, and for many reasons we have been bitterly disappointed with our experience to date and we fear our build experience will be just as bad. We are about to pull out.

Just wondering if anyone has pulled our just before contract signing and been able to re-coup their initial outlay costs from initial sign up costs and preliminary contract costs? Anyone share any experiences?

i have, Pm me
Drew01
We built last year, 6 months from slab pour to handover and no significant issues that prevented us moving in.

Stop scare mongering mate, just because you had a crappy experience doesn't mean everyone did or will. We started our with Porter Davis, and if you want to hear about disrespecting the client, they took the biscuit - FOR US ... But others have been happy with their homes.

On the internet they say "Your Mileage Will Vary" and it applies to real life too...

Drew

I understand where you are coming from but there is a massive difference between NSW and Victoria.

That would most likely explain your experience versus his.

I could list a hundred reasons why, but generally in Melbourne they control the market, and get great subcontractors and the best staff. in NSW they are a smaller player and struggle like everyone else for quality staff and trades.

There are some really good people in the NSW office but in my opinion they really do struggle for resources and I am sure they want to build great homes and in a lot of cases they do, but obviously he has had a bad experience.

I cant say much more as I would be breaching confidentiality but I am glad Metricon did a great job for you. They are a generally nice group of people who do care
Yep, I've heard on the consumer and Metricon side that they have a problem in NSW.

From my understanding it's because they went into NSW as a custom builder rather than volume, and when it wasn't panning out quite right, they didn't reset the business model.

Generalising doesn't help though. Metricon aren't a terrible volume builder compared to Porter Davis in our experience, but I'm sure others have experienced quite the opposite.

End of the day, you always get a volume builder experience with a volume builder

Drew01
Yep, I've heard on the consumer and Metricon side that they have a problem in NSW.

From my understanding it's because they went into NSW as a custom builder rather than volume, and when it wasn't panning out quite right, they didn't reset the business model.

Generalising doesn't help though. Metricon aren't a terrible volume builder compared to Porter Davis in our experience, but I'm sure others have experienced quite the opposite.

End of the day, you always get a volume builder experience with a volume builder

you are completely right about the volume house builder thing. As far as I know they didnt come in here as a custom builder. A lot of issue stem from management and everything being run out of Melbourne to save costs rather than local.

Also Melbourne building methods are very different to NSW and there is a big disconnect there. Repeating myself I know, but the team here and in Melb are generally well meaning and decent people
The issues are never ending . Just did a walk through with SS as i had to point out few things :

there was a puddle of water in the lounge last week so i pointed out to him. Today we found out that the something wasn't sealed properly on the roof therefore the water found its way in . Possibly the gyprock in the lounge will be replaced if its damaged according to him.

Similarly , in kitchen the bulk head is way high and there is a huge gap in between the cabinets and the ceiling, the SS said it will be redone.

So as long as they do it , i am at it every single day. Out of excitement i even made a timelapse hopefully that will motivate them to do better.
In my place Metricon had to re do so the same bulkhead 3 times and replace about 25% of the wall and ceiling boards to make them straight and level to au standards.
In my place Metricon had to re do so the same bulkhead 3 times and replace about 25 percent of the wall and ceiling boards to make them straight and level to au standards.
Metricon should be identifying the defects and fixing them promptly. It should not but up to you to point them out. No care no responsibility!
i know i wish they would . But after looking at the way the work and it is in my interest to get things done therefore i look at things which don't seem right and i keep pointing them out . Now all those things which are beyond my understanding left untouched. I'll follow up on the ceiling cuz thats super important.
Get the NSWDFT guide to standards and tolerances, a step ladder, a 2m straight edge, plastic window packers, carpenters square, digital level, a good light source, digital vernier gauge, tape measure, laser level etc and do the job yourself that you are paying Metricon to do. If you have specific questions I am sure the experts on Homeone can help. The site supervisor will need to accompany you on site so if possible make an appointment at least once a week for a few hours. They cannot deny ‘reasonable access’ to inspect. He should help you to get the inspection done quicker. Document any defects with dated photos and reference to the applicable standard. Check things are as per the final plans. Keep a running list. Follow the notification process, and dispute process if necessary, in your contract to the letter. Verbal assurances from Metricon are not enough. Don’t accept progress stage complete invoices unless the work done from that stage is actually completed without defects. Ensure you follow the correct process, however. Metricons legal department would have to be as well resourced as their accounts receivable function! Based on my experience Metricon will look for every angle to try and get you to accept defective work and keep moving forward. Once you have paid most of the money you have minimal leverage to get things properly rectified before handover or under warranty.
We have settled under duress for a property that looked like it was slapped together by a bunch of drunk monkeys.
Unsurprisingly Metricon are not returning our calls and are hoping we go away.

Settling in for a long campaign.
Metriconned
We have settled under duress for a property that looked like it was slapped together by a bunch of drunk monkeys.

Love that name metriconned,welcome.

As Metricon are not returning your calls, why not email Metricon's owner?
Joker
Metriconned

Love that name metriconned,welcome.

Metricon screwed up the bricks on my place too. I requested they re-do about 25% of the brickwork on the front facade and rear patio area. I used a digital level and digital vernier guage to check all brickwork against building standard tolerances for mortar beds & perps, straightness, protusions etc,

taking dated photos of all the bits that did not meet the brickwork tolerance standards in the NSW guide.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum