Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 387 of 433
zooch84
They cant always do the brick, there has to be usually at least a minimum 85mm to fit one, plus add mortar etc.

They also cover themselves, on the contract with the line item for the infills, will be a condition and understanding that depending on door/window height in relation to brick levels that sheet infill will have to be used

Ok do I get a say in it?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
blackcat20
shokel1975
blackcat20
[quote="shokel1975"][quote="blackcat20"]Ours is the same

But yours is rendered. It looks better.
We didn't want it rendered. We paid extra for brick. But they aren't fixing it.

I understand, but I thought we were talking about the infill above door in other pix.[/quote]We are. Even if ours hadn't been rendered we'd still have the infill as they can't fit a full brick in the gap. It's pretty common.

[/quote]What is that blue thing on top of your door is it the wrapping? And is your sheet infill completed yet?

excited_builders
blackcat20
shokel1975
[quote="blackcat20"][quote="shokel1975"][quote="blackcat20"]Ours is the same

But yours is rendered. It looks better.
We didn't want it rendered. We paid extra for brick. But they aren't fixing it.

I understand, but I thought we were talking about the infill above door in other pix.[/quote]We are. Even if ours hadn't been rendered we'd still have the infill as they can't fit a full brick in the gap. It's pretty common.

[/quote]What is that blue thing on top of your door is it the wrapping? And is your sheet infill completed yet?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t[/quote]Yes that's the wrap, no the infill hasn't been inserted yet.

excited_builders
zooch84
They cant always do the brick, there has to be usually at least a minimum 85mm to fit one, plus add mortar etc.

They also cover themselves, on the contract with the line item for the infills, will be a condition and understanding that depending on door/window height in relation to brick levels that sheet infill will have to be used

Ok do I get a say in it?

Not really no, its a structural/engineering thing. Whilst im sure there might be a way to do it, it will cost too much or require a complete re-engineering of how the bricks are laid.

It's one of those things, where they will try and do it but there is no guarantee they can. We have a window ourselves that will require infill because the gap is only around 82mm and there is no way to fit a lintel and brick course in. I don't like it but I accept the engineering around it.

Once the door is stained/painted and the infill is painted as well it blends in quite well. It really is one of those things where you need to see it in its finished state before hand.
excited_builders
zooch84

Ok do I get a say in it?

Have a chat to your site manager about it. They'd need to put a 1/2 - 3/4 brick in there, which might look pretty average - the brickies will probably be back to do mortar cleanup and caulking, so see if they can cut a couple of bricks to show you what it would look like.

A whole brick looks much better then a half above a door. I would probably want timber the same as the frame up there, hard to tell

zooch84
excited_builders
zooch84

Ok do I get a say in it?

Not really no, its a structural/engineering thing. Whilst im sure there might be a way to do it, it will cost too much or require a complete re-engineering of how the bricks are laid.

It's one of those things, where they will try and do it but there is no guarantee they can. We have a window ourselves that will require infill because the gap is only around 82mm and there is no way to fit a lintel and brick course in. I don't like it but I accept the engineering around it.

Once the door is stained/painted and the infill is painted as well it blends in quite well. It really is one of those things where you need to see it in its finished state before hand.
Ok thanks...that makes me feel better already. Do u have a pic u can share of how this looks for your one that you had a similar issue with?

Drew01
excited_builders
zooch84

Ok do I get a say in it?

Have a chat to your site manager about it. They'd need to put a 1/2 - 3/4 brick in there, which might look pretty average - the brickies will probably be back to do mortar cleanup and caulking, so see if they can cut a couple of bricks to show you what it would look like.

A whole brick looks much better then a half above a door. I would probably want timber the same as the frame up there, hard to tell

Ok thanks Drew will check with My SM we have a walk through on Friday he called to tell us tiling is fully done and all downpipes are completed.

Hi Guys,

Any feedback regarding Timber look flooring - Firm Plank Vinyl - Grenada ?

Is it good to proceed with ?
Wild
Hi Guys,

Salesperson said they are good for families with young kids or pets because they don't scratch as much as timber. I'm sure you can read up on the other positive aspects of this flooring.

We were initially going with timber look vinyl but after watching videos of them being laid it kind of turned me off. I can't say why exactly it put me off.

It's your house after all so you go with what makes you happy.
excited_builders
Drew01
excited_builders
[quote="zooch84"]They cant always do the brick, there has to be usually at least a minimum 85mm to fit one, plus add mortar etc.

Ok do I get a say in it?

Ok thanks Drew will check with My SM we have a walk through on Friday he called to tell us tiling is fully done and all downpipes are completed.[/quote]

Was at our place all day today, and we have fibre cement above our front and back doors. Not too concerned given we have 2.5m entrances, and you tend not to look up that far

reaver
Wild
Hi Guys,

Salesperson said they are good for families with young kids or pets because they don't scratch as much as timber. I'm sure you can read up on the other positive aspects of this flooring.

We were initially going with timber look vinyl but after watching videos of them being laid it kind of turned me off. I can't say why exactly it put me off.

It's your house after all so you go with what makes you happy.

To be honest, being first time builder I really dont know what to choose, really like porcelain tiles but cant afford them, regarding this vinyl, its kind of mid range timber laminate and M is charging 44 sq/m which is affordable.

Why it turned you off lol ?
Hi guys,

I just wanted to check if roof sarking is a standard inclusion for Metricon homes? As we were not asked about this during the consultation stage & the guys are currently working on finalising the roof.

View my build here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=92021&start=30
johar.ankur
Hi guys,

I just wanted to check if roof sarking is a standard inclusion for Metricon homes? As we were not asked about this during the consultation stage & the guys are currently working on finalising the roof.

Its not standard. But if you need to have bushfire pack to get your BAL rating down the it is usually included in that pack. We needed to pay for bushfire pack and it included sarking among many other items to reduce risk of catching alight.
shokel1975
johar.ankur
Hi guys,

Its not standard. But if you need to have bushfire pack to get your BAL rating down the it is usually included in that pack. We needed to pay for bushfire pack and it included sarking among many other items to reduce risk of catching alight.

Thanks Shokel,

Would you still recommend it if not in bushfire prone area?
johar.ankur
shokel1975
johar.ankur
Hi guys,

Thanks Shokel,

I’m not too sure of the pros and cons of it, so I prob can’t help you there. I think it helps with insulation, but I really don’t know much more about it. Sorry!
shokel1975

I’m not too sure of the pros and cons of it, so I prob can’t help you there. I think it helps with insulation, but I really don’t know much more about it. Sorry!

Thanks Shokel
johar.ankur
shokel1975
johar.ankur
Hi guys,

Thanks Shokel,

I would recommend sarking with any roof material as it adds more insulation (higher R rating), and keeps all the dust and rubbish they often blows into a roof from entering. Stops moisture ingress, etc.

If you can justify the spend, you should do it

Has anyone built on stumps with Metricon? What was your experience like & was it overly pricey compared to having them build on a slab? Thanks!
bec w
Has anyone built on stumps with Metricon? What was your experience like & was it overly pricey compared to having them build on a slab? Thanks!
We wanted to, but was an extra $80k+ to go onto stumps

Drew01
bec w

We wanted to, but was an extra $80k+ to go onto stumps

Wow, that is actually insane. That number is certainly a deterrent isn't it!
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum