Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 382 of 433
MyFirst
Ha! And we paid $4140 for colorbond. What is going on with their quoting?

We got our quote last month and they offered free colourbond and hebel for a 2-storey house. It's not advertised anywhere, the salesman offered it to us while we were doing our quote.[/quote]

How much did they charge you for your whirly bird?[/quote]

Was that $410 for one?
If yes that's expensive.[/quote]

Yep.. One.
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has experience loss of water pressure or loss of hot water while having a shower when someone else in the house uses hot or cold water at the same time. What was the fix and what options are there to rectify this problem.
Another instant how water unit?
Any one heard of a ring main unit?
sandymeo
Hi, I would like to know if anyone has experience loss of water pressure or loss of hot water while having a shower when someone else in the house uses hot or cold water at the same time. What was the fix and what options are there to rectify this problem.
Another instant how water unit?
Any one heard of a ring main unit?
Sounds like your pressure regulator is set too low...

Renman
p76rangie
Metricon would have to be one of the biggest bullies around.
It does not matter what the contract states or what the Government legislation states, it is always do as they say or they will stop the build.
In Victoria the State Legislation prevents them taking possession of the land or to deny anyone access.
Even the High Court of Australia has said they can't do it. But does not stop them. The same old stuff. They just say that they will stop all work and delay your home for months if you try to defy them.
Worse still they threaten to pull any insurance cover on the house. As an individual it is very difficult to get your own insurance to cover a half built house. So then you have to do what they want or risk your investment in the house.
So if you have a contract with them, you might as well throw it in the bin as they will not abide by it.
Expect to deal with continual threats if you ever question their right to do something.

I have never known any company to treat their customers with outright contempt like Metricon does.

I could not agree with you more.
They are great are making up excuses, use others as their escape goat, play the dumb card and if you don't pick it up they pretend it never happened.

spot on , they play the dumb card. We have signed with them and they are doing their long and frustrating process of finalizing everything and this is what irks me. Every mistake they do , they just act as if they have no clue what just happened. If we look deep down , basically these individuals who work for Metricon don't have a cohesive working relationship with their teams , there is no project manager , no wonder every thing gets delayed either estimating or drafting.
dany
Renman
p76rangie
Metricon would have to be one of the biggest bullies around.
It does not matter what the contract states or what the Government legislation states, it is always do as they say or they will stop the build.
In Victoria the State Legislation prevents them taking possession of the land or to deny anyone access.
Even the High Court of Australia has said they can't do it. But does not stop them. The same old stuff. They just say that they will stop all work and delay your home for months if you try to defy them.
Worse still they threaten to pull any insurance cover on the house. As an individual it is very difficult to get your own insurance to cover a half built house. So then you have to do what they want or risk your investment in the house.
So if you have a contract with them, you might as well throw it in the bin as they will not abide by it.
Expect to deal with continual threats if you ever question their right to do something.

I have never known any company to treat their customers with outright contempt like Metricon does.

I could not agree with you more.
They are great are making up excuses, use others as their escape goat, play the dumb card and if you don't pick it up they pretend it never happened.

spot on , they play the dumb card. We have signed with them and they are doing their long and frustrating process of finalizing everything and this is what irks me. Every mistake they do , they just act as if they have no clue what just happened. If we look deep down , basically these individuals who work for Metricon don't have a cohesive working relationship with their teams , there is no project manager , no wonder every thing gets delayed either estimating or drafting.

I am so frustrated that every plan and variation doc always comes back with mistakes and omissions. Then it takes weeks for them to fix it! They need better processes. I detail every change or issue in detailed emails - in point form (my 5yo could follow it - once he learns to read 😉) - but they still F-up. 😡😡😡
Racheld13
Drew01
Racheld13
Hi Everybody,

Would love your advise, we are in the final stages of building. Just recently had a quick walkthrough with our SS and noticed a few things which he had advised as "finished" or "standard". Therefore love to hear anybody's advice regarding three issues we have.

1. Front Door Entry finish.
Just wanted confirmation whether this is the standard finish for front door entry? The top of the entry door can be acceptable but to be honest its quite a poor finish. Can anybody advise?

In addition, any advice regarding the bottom on the entryway? SS had advise this is the finish which I don't think is acceptable. I've seen photos of other metricon homes finished with bricklayed beneath. Therefore can you advise. As it would be poor to provide a "front finish" as per image below.

2. Front Porch Stair and Brick Finish + Patio
From the image below you can see the step between the ground and the first step is quite significant in comparison. Our SS had advised it's "standard" because we had chosen to finish our front patio/landscape after handover. More so, again our SS has mentioned the same reason that the patio concrete and brick is because we are to tile or deck afterwards".

I dont believe this is the case and would greatly appreciate your advise!

3. Garage Door Gap between Main home and Garage.
This is quite large and again standard from the point of view of our SS.

Overall, we are seeking advise prior to walkthrough as it seems our SS uses "standard" as a reason which isn't reflective of what metricon had sold. If anything, any advice on who to speak to?

Looks like your front door needs another coat of the stain, as it's not even.

The brickwork should be level with the top of the slab, as you tile over the 40mm air space to give a flush finish with the bricks. The ONLY reason it would be left like it is is if you requested it for bolting a deck hanger to the slab face. If you're tiling, the bricks need to be flush with the slab. See our alfresco below during bricking

Your steps - we refused to pay for front concrete steps (we have a similar height slab) and are getting timber steps for C of O, and will get rid of them when we landscape. That being said, when you landscape up to those steps, you would be importing fill anyway, so I tend to agree with the SS...

With respect to your garage, you didn't add the photo, but I know what you're referring to. We have no gap between the garage and house, and our step down to the garage is about 175mm. I don't have any photos of it, but our Gyprock is about 30mm above the slab, and the skirtings have covered that "gap". If there isn't a gap between the Gyprock and the slab, and you get a burst water pipe, the water damages the Gyprock. The main thing to be concerned about is the gap under the skirt being no more than 3-4mm, as you can't tile up to a gap much bigger if you're tiling your main floors

Thank you for response it has been very insightful.

We will be raising the Patio as we hadn't asked for it to be left a deck bolt hanger. And the plan was always to tile the area after handover.

I've realised I haven't uploaded the correct image - do you you or anybody else have any insights on below?

1. This is the bottom of our Front Entry Door. I would say there's quite a significant gap which the SS has advise is to be left for post handover tiling. To me it doesn't make sense. As the gap is quite huge and would mean a need for a significant amount of concrete. Would you say it requires a brick finish underneath (like the second image).

Also the garage internal gap - hard to see but it's the area the light it coming through and it's about the size of the skirting.

We've e-mailed out CS as she's been quite helpful and hoping she can shed some light as our SS had originally advised our Front Entry Door was to be finished with FC Infill Sheet - which we were livid and he was no help at all. Which makes us wonder was the Front Door installed incorrect and not finished properly? We have nothing to compare to at this stage.

Also, thanks to everybody else who has replied. Trying to get as much done before walkthrough and final payment.
This is how your garage and portico should be finished

Hope these help

Hi All
Our inspector pointed out.something about our dow pipes that it should.not be straight and there should be a clamp around it every 2 meters...even on the render....I reckon it may not look good and if downpipe are at an angle ,water may take long n could be noisy if outside a bedroom. Can anyone please send me a side picture of their that shows a close up of how downpipe are fixed to the render when u have render on 1st floor and bricks on ground floor. I have attached a pic...though they will complete the join for the rest of the downpipe this week.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
excited_builders
Hi All
Our inspector pointed out.something about our dow pipes that it should.not be straight and there should be a clamp around it every 2 meters...even on the render....I reckon it may not look good and if downpipe are at an angle ,water may take long n could be noisy if outside a bedroom. Can anyone please send me a side picture of their that shows a close up of how downpipe are fixed to the render when u have render on 1st floor and bricks on ground floor. I have attached a pic...though they will complete the join for the rest of the downpipe this week.

Ours look like this... My builder says it's fine (not my Metricon one)

excited_builders
Hi All

I’m sure a bracket half way down would be sufficient into brick. Bracket or 3 brackets, how much more noise can it make with water going down. I don’t get it but I ain’t no builder. Will be interested to see what they do with mine. I think within the next week or 2.

Metricon Franklin 53 modified
Drew01
excited_builders
Hi All

Ours look like this... My builder says it's fine (not my Metricon one)

Thanks Drew....

stoff17
excited_builders
Hi All

I’m sure a bracket half way down would be sufficient into brick. Bracket or 3 brackets, how much more noise can it make with water going down. I don’t get it but I ain’t no builder. Will be interested to see what they do with mine. I think within the next week or 2.

Metricon Franklin 53 modified
Thanks Stoff...I have no idea on water sounds, but drive around our area too, other house are done in a similar manner to ours.

Anyone chosen paint colour Mt Aspiring?
Some photos would be great.
excited_builders
Thanks Stoff...I have no idea on water sounds, but drive around our area too, other house are done in a similar manner to ours.

If you had brick upstairs, and no z flashing to where the EPS starts, it would be secured once more on the second story.

The EPS doesn't really lends itself to having fixtures screwed into it, as they just pull out.

Another bracket isn't going to change the sound of the water going down the downpipe. I have been at our place since they were done, and our raining, and I could barely hear the rain on the tin, let alone in the downpipes...

The water noise roof plumbers refer to is the "ping" as the rain drops down onto the floor provided by a right-angle in the piping. Some owners hate the noise and hound the installer over it, others won't ever notice the sound!
sandymeo
Anyone chosen paint colour Mt Aspiring?
Some photos would be great.

We chose Snowy Mountains, which is similar. It’s quite a neutral white, almost a very very light grey. Some people have said that it picks up a tinge of green tone. Luckily, we haven’t seen the green on our walls as that would have put us off totally.

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
Drew01
excited_builders

If you had brick upstairs, and no z flashing to where the EPS starts, it would be secured once more on the second story.

The EPS doesn't really lends itself to having fixtures screwed into it, as they just pull out.

Another bracket isn't going to change the sound of the water going down the downpipe. I have been at our place since they were done, and our raining, and I could barely hear the rain on the tin, let alone in the downpipes...

Ok ...so that means that they are not building to code. I understood the rationale and actually when I drove around did not see any that Metricon have done as described by our inspector.
So will discuss with hubby what we should do as I reckon if something fixed to render will not really hold it n it won't look nice either ...we should leave it as it is and not secure it further or change it further. ...

Construction began 11th Sep'17, Fixing invoice issued Mar'18 but still no PCI. Has anyone experienced this?

I wish we hadn't paid 90% of the invoice amount and negotiated for 25% on final settlement.
SkB
Construction began 11th Sep'17, Fixing invoice issued Mar'18 but still no PCI. Has anyone experienced this?

I wish we hadn't paid 90% of the invoice amount and negotiated for 25% on final settlement.

What is your house up to? Painting/fittings etc done?
Appliances have been fitted for the last 2 months, blinds and fly screen still pending. Painting looks shabby, house is unclean.

Received a AGL Gas bill today, the usage is very high which is surprising considering the property is still under construction. Possibility- someone from Metricon is using the facilities. Obviously they don't care as I'm paying the bill. Friends constructing with other builders have not received an invoice higher than $40- my bill $146
SkB
Appliances have been fitted for the last 2 months, blinds and fly screen still pending. Painting looks shabby, house is unclean.

Received a AGL Gas bill today, the usage is very high which is surprising considering the property is still under construction. Possibility- someone from Metricon is using the facilities. Obviously they don't care as I'm paying the bill. Friends constructing with other builders have not received an invoice higher than $40- my bill $146

If you haven't already I would try calling your SM to set a PCI date. There must be something that is holding things up.

High bill could be neighbours using your power, you see it happen all the time. Tradies plug into the next door power box because its closest.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum