Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 288 of 433
Emmz70
blackcat20
stanus
are you sure?
I did selections two weeks ago and the were still using clipsal products.
I even got some of the switches changed over to the series 4000 type.
There was no mention of HPM, and they were using the clipspec program to allocate were the power switches will go.

Yes, very sure. Confirmed by M at the Studio today (we'd already heard rumours). Its their new contracted provider. Theyll also be changing over to the new program for electrical selection appointments shortly.

Any reason why they dropped clipsal? Maybe you answered this previous thread blackcat

I have no idea, sorry. I can only assume price but that's just a guess.
blackcat20
Renman
Was told that if you have gone to Site then you would keep your Clipsal selections otherwise you will be changed to HPM.

My KDR Metricon Hampshire - Liberty - 45 Melb

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Waiting to hear from our CSC as to what our options are as husband won't accept anything less than Clipsal, and our electrical appointment is next week.

To be honest with you. You won't win the fight with M on this. I had a two month fight they then about the Slimline range that we wanted and they told us we had to go to Iconic range.

According to be BSC, the only way you can any of the Clipsal range is if you are currently "On Site".

Hi guys
There is a blog or a thread I came across ages back regarding things to look out for at the end of the build and tips on PCI. Anyone else seen that? If so, could you send me the link please? Ta
Shez84
blackcat20
JLH222
No, that particular model has been discontinued by Clipsal. It's the SC2000 slimline.
This happened a few months ago and has nothing to do with M changing suppliers.

Metricon Metro 32 KDRB Bayside Melbourne
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=84012

Ah ok, miseed that. Then that is definitely an issue.

We were notified the day before they were due to go in. As a result, we changed to a different sort for all switches except one: one of our 3 way switches in our main bedroom don't have the led plate on it.

HTTPS://buildingourmetriconfelix18.wordpress.com

They use the excuse that the items have been ordered when you want them to change things. When they want to change it they do it regardless.

Renman
Shez84
blackcat20
[quote="JLH222"]
No, that particular model has been discontinued by Clipsal. It's the SC2000 slimline.
This happened a few months ago and has nothing to do with M changing suppliers.

Ah ok, miseed that. Then that is definitely an issue.

We were notified the day before they were due to go in. As a result, we changed to a different sort for all switches except one: one of our 3 way switches in our main bedroom don't have the led plate on it.

HTTPS://buildingourmetriconfelix18.wordpress.com

They use the excuse that the items have been ordered when you want them to change things. When they want to change it they do it regardless.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t[/quote]

I went to an Electrical wholesale shop to ask about the change in the slimline model.

What's happened is that Clipsal have changed the internal parts of the switch (behind the face plate) so that it is a Clipsal only part. So if you wish to replace something later like an LED DIMMER or whatnot, you have to buy a clipsal one, you can't just install a cheaper one into the unit.

Insulation missing?

I wanted to share with you all my experience with M and missing Insulation.

During construction, I happened to be onsite the day that plasterboarding was happening.

I noted missing insulation to a number of areas of external walls. eg

1) above kitchen bulkhead
2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

When I told my SM, his response was M don't do it on any job. I escalated to the CM and he agreed to rectify but as time went on, because the areas were plastered and then tiled in some areas, I could tell they wouldn't bother.

I have continued to press the matter because it is money hard earned and I refuse to have a home that is thermally inefficient.

Last week the matter came to a head when the CM decided to have a change of tone and also decided to say "it's not the done thing".

So, I rang CSR Bradford and the contractor who prepared the BASIX certificate. I was told

a) It is CSRs recommendation and best practice to insulate all external areas of the Building Envelope. Failure to do so will compromise thermal efficiency.

b) The BASIX contractor admitted that in his assumptions to arrive at the energy rating for the home, It is assumed that all external wall areas of the home are insulated.

Armed with this information I wrote a polite email to the CM and advised him that if he failed to rectify the missing insulated areas, It is a breach of contract since the Home is not fit for purpose as failure to have insulation in large areas will mean it will not comply with the energy rating.

I then made a post on FB also, airing my disappointment.

Lo and behold within 24hrs there has been a complete 180 degree turnaround and they have agreed to fix all areas and provide photo evidence.

Just to be clear here, it's not 2 or 3 missing batts, there are large areas uninsulated which they will have charged me for but just couldn't be bothered to do it.

So if you're told they don't insulate areas by M, Don't let them pull the (glass) wool over your eyes.

For those who are doing flooring post handover are M painting and laying the skirting tiles for your carpeted areas and only leaving off the raw skirting for your floorboard areas?

My build - viewtopic.php?t=87470
Nomnom

That's a really good post. Will definitely make sure that all insulation are done for the external walls. As we are getting insulation on a few of the internal walls I want to make sure that it's all done correctly too.

Renman
To be honest with you. You won't win the fight with M on this. I had a two month fight they then about the Slimline range that we wanted and they told us we had to go to Iconic range.

According to be BSC, the only way you can any of the Clipsal range is if you are currently "On Site".

Yeah I dont like our chances; will leave it up to him to negotiate. What are M like with customers supplying their own product?
nomnomnom
Insulation missing?

During construction, I happened to be onsite the day that plasterboarding was happening.

2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

When I told my SM, his response was M don't do it on any job. I escalated to the CM and he agreed to rectify but as time went on, because the areas were plastered and then tiled in some areas, I could tell they wouldn't bother.

I have continued to press the matter because it is money hard earned and I refuse to have a home that is thermally inefficient.

Last week the matter came to a head when the CM decided to have a change of tone and also decided to say "it's not the done thing".

So, I rang CSR Bradford and the contractor who prepared the BASIX certificate. I was told

a) It is CSRs recommendation and best practice to insulate all external areas of the Building Envelope. Failure to do so will compromise thermal efficiency.

b) The BASIX contractor admitted that in his assumptions to arrive at the energy rating for the home, It is assumed that all external wall areas of the home are insulated.

Armed with this information I wrote a polite email to the CM and advised him that if he failed to rectify the missing insulated areas, It is a breach of contract since the Home is not fit for purpose as failure to have insulation in large areas will mean it will not comply with the energy rating.

Lo and behold within 24hrs there has been a complete 180 degree turnaround and they have agreed to fix all areas and provide photo evidence.

Just to be clear here, it's not 2 or 3 missing batts, there are large areas uninsulated which they will have charged me for but just couldn't be bothered to do it.

So if you're told they don't insulate areas by M, Don't let them pull the (glass) wool over your eyes.

Oh nom, what a battle. So glad that they've come to the party now....even though you had to go the social media avenue to get there.
I mistakenly assumed (stupid me) that in a double story there was insulation between the floor/ceiling ....when I queried SM as to when they were putting it in he told me they never put it between the floor/in the ceiling except for in the garage if there's a habitable room above. I had no idea and it was never mentioned to us at our colour appointment. I 100% would have paid to have that added. So frustrating.
I had heard people say that the hebel power floor was expensive and just thought we'd be fine with the insulation in there anyway.....I was so wrong! And of course it's too late once you're onsite and building. They won't let you add anything.
First time builder rookie mistakes, I guess?!

blackcat20
Renman

Yeah I dont like our chances; will leave it up to him to negotiate. What are M like with customers supplying their own product?

I've found that it depends what it is. Anything you supply has to be done post handover as M won't take responsibility for anything that they don't supply. But they have to be able to hand over a habitable house that would pass occupancy. So I'm guessing that anything electrical like switches, they wouldn't allow post handover and they wouldn't let you supply your own for them to install.....having said that, I would still ask because the answer always varies depending on the day, weather, time and who you ask at M!!!! Lol

Good luck

blackcat20
Renman

Not something that they like at all. To the point that they make it so expensive that you won't want to do it at all.

Renman
blackcat20
Renman

Not something that they like at all. To the point that they make it so expensive that you won't want to do it at all.

Bummer. I guess he can swap all the switches out afterwards himself given he has access to the product through work. He'll be doing all our pendant lights etc anyway, so whats a few more things?

I dont know enough to know the difference between the two products, as long as they're safe and look ok, I'm not so fussed.
nomnomnom
Insulation missing?

2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

That's a good win nomnom
There's already no wrapping that comes with the house (and sarking in the roof is at extra cost) so it's really important to have insulation installed properly around the house.

Metricon Liberty 45, Ryde NSW
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=82846
nomnomnom
Insulation missing?

2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

Good on you for sticking to your guns on this! Poorly done insulation makes me so angry. I'm about to embark on a similar battle with my builder. I made it very clear to our SS that it was something I was passionate about and I still got a poor job.
Is anyone able to take close up photos of their stair/front door stain for me please? Do you have areas that are lighter (mainly near edges/corners)? They've been back to patch some of ours up but I'm still not happy. Am I being overly picky???

bank
nomnomnom
Insulation missing?

2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

Good on you for sticking to your guns on this! Poorly done insulation makes me so angry. I'm about to embark on a similar battle with my builder. I made it very clear to our SS that it was something I was passionate about and I still got a poor job.

Thanks. I had to think hard how I could tie it to the contract. The chat with CSR helped quite a bit to point me in the right direction.

JLH222
nomnomnom
Insulation missing?

2) above pantry bulkhead
3) around baths
4) in some service voids

Oh nom, what a battle. So glad that they've come to the party now....even though you had to go the social media avenue to get there.
I mistakenly assumed (stupid me) that in a double story there was insulation between the floor/ceiling ....when I queried SM as to when they were putting it in he told me they never put it between the floor/in the ceiling except for in the garage if there's a habitable room above. I had no idea and it was never mentioned to us at our colour appointment. I 100% would have paid to have that added. So frustrating.
I had heard people say that the hebel power floor was expensive and just thought we'd be fine with the insulation in there anyway.....I was so wrong! And of course it's too late once you're onsite and building. They won't let you add anything.
First time builder rookie mistakes, I guess?!

Thanks JLH. I've got a powerfloor too. I don't think you need to insulate that as much since the thermal and acoustic properties are much better.

If anything, perhaps you can go with a thicker or more denser underlay and a thicker carpet on 1st floor. That will help quite a bit I should think.

emmyawards
For those who are doing flooring post handover are M painting and laying the skirting tiles for your carpeted areas and only leaving off the raw skirting for your floorboard areas?

I'm doing flooring post handover.

M is painting and affixing all skirting. I asked them to leave off the skirting in areas where we'd put in the hardwood flooring and was told no it can't be done. So I insisted then that it only be "tacked" on in those areas so i can easily pull it off.

If you don't specify, they will glue and nail it on, and when it comes time to flooring, you'll ruin the plasterboard.

It's ok for the skirting to be fixed in carpet areas though.

One other note is that if you are doing your wardrobe cabinetry post handover, I have been told to ask for the top shelf and rail
not to be put in either as when you do come to install your own wardrobe solution, The plasterboard will get damaged as they glue and screw that too shelf in too.

Is this what others have experienced?

nomnomnom
emmyawards

I'm doing flooring post handover.

M is painting and affixing all skirting. I asked them to leave off the skirting in areas where we'd put in the hardwood flooring and was told no it can't be done. So I insisted then that it only be "tacked" on in those areas so i can easily pull it off.

If you don't specify, they will glue and nail it on, and when it comes time to flooring, you'll ruin the plasterboard.

It's ok for the skirting to be fixed in carpet areas though.

One other note is that if you are doing your wardrobe cabinetry post handover, I have been told to ask for the top shelf and rail
not to be put in either as when you do come to install your own wardrobe solution, The plasterboard will get damaged as they glue and screw that too shelf in too.

Is this what others have experienced?

Yup, you should be able to tell your SM what your preference is. I had the upstairs skirting all completed by M, and did carpet post, just tell them what height you want the skirting off the ground (ask your carpet guy for ideal height).

For downstairs I got M just to measure and cut all the skirting to size and left them in the garage for me. Then I just installed, painted and sealed the skirting myself after I had got tiles in post handover. My auntie got them to paint and tack them in like how NOM has requested.

So just speak to your SM and tell them what you want. Shouldn't cost you anything cause it's less work for them. But do keep in mind, it'll cost you $2-3k for a professional to come, install, paint and seal the skirting afterwards.
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum