Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Metricon

Page 244 of 433
Renman
Shez84
Renman
Too Waffle Slab or Not Too Waffle Slab!

Is everyone who is about to break dirt getting a Waffle Slab in their contract?

Since M has had some legal issues with the Waffle Slab in some of the build, I have heard that some people are given the option to upgrade their Waffle to a Raft Slab. Has anyone heard of this or upgraded to this?

We were upgraded to the waffle slab because our soil test came back as "highly reactive". This kind of worries me now. I guess time will tell....

I found this to be an interesting read: http://www.innohomes.com.au/raft-slab-vs-waffle-slab/

What Slab were you meant to get originally?

Good question. I checked my prelim contract and it still said waffle - just a lower class level
Should have checked that first, before posting, I guess!

HTTPS://buildingourmetriconfelix18.wordpress.com

Shez84
Renman
Shez84
[quote="Renman"]Too Waffle Slab or Not Too Waffle Slab!

Since M has had some legal issues with the Waffle Slab in some of the build, I have heard that some people are given the option to upgrade their Waffle to a Raft Slab. Has anyone heard of this or upgraded to this?

We were upgraded to the waffle slab because our soil test came back as "highly reactive". This kind of worries me now. I guess time will tell....

I found this to be an interesting read: http://www.innohomes.com.au/raft-slab-vs-waffle-slab/

Good question. I checked my prelim contract and it still said waffle - just a lower class level

[/quote]

Raft would have been my choice of Slab as it's a lot more solid and they have been using raft for years now.

Renman
Shez84
Renman
[quote="Shez84"][quote="Renman"]Too Waffle Slab or Not Too Waffle Slab!

[/quote]

Raft would have been my choice of Slab as it's a lot more solid and they have been using raft for years now.

[/quote]

Another option was never mentioned to us. The way it was discussed was that we didn't have an option. But it falls back on me for not doing my own research.
Shez84
Renman
Shez84
[quote="Renman"]Too Waffle Slab or Not Too Waffle Slab!

[/quote]

They upgrade the quality of concrete used in your waffle slab. Likely to be 32mpa and they will use more steel reo too.

Cheers Nom

Newhaven 36 by M
Blog - North Shore Newhaven (http://nsnewhaven.blogspot.com.au)
Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85092
Renman
Too Waffle Slab or Not Too Waffle Slab!

I found this to be an interesting read: http://www.innohomes.com.au/raft-slab-vs-waffle-slab/[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They upgrade the quality of concrete used in your waffle slab. Likely to be 32mpa and they will use more steel reo too.

Cheers Nom

Newhaven 36 by M
Blog - North Shore Newhaven (http://nsnewhaven.blogspot.com.au)
Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=85092[/quote]

That's good to know, thanks Nom!

Just wanted to get some advice. We are looking at what things we can potentially cut if costs get too high. For those who have roof tiles did you get sarking and a whirly bird installed?

emmyawards
Just wanted to get some advice. We are looking at what things we can potentially cut if costs get too high. For those who have roof tiles did you get sarking and a whirly bird installed?

Hi Emmy

We did not do sarking. Our consultant told that it is mandatory only if colorbond is used. Hope this helps

deepugjacob
emmyawards

Hi Emmy

We did not do sarking. Our consultant told that it is mandatory only if colorbond is used. Hope this helps

Or if in a bushfire prone area. We had it under our tiles in out last build, and a whirly bird as we were BAL12.5.
emmyawards

We had roof tiles with sarking but no whirly bird
aria
emmyawards

Is it worth it?

emmyawards
aria
emmyawards

Is it worth it?

Sarking was one of my husband's must haves ... I will tell you if it's worth it when we move in (hopefully next month lol)
Was approx $2,500 for us for sarking if that helps ....
emmyawards
aria
emmyawards

Is it worth it?

How did u get sarking but not Whitley bird. Thought it was mandatory to have it to release the heat.

aria
Was approx $2,500 for us for sarking if that helps ....

We went for darling because of the category of tiles we chose but didn't opt for a whirly bird from M cause we thought we could get a solar flat profile one after handover. But now I'm not even sure if we even need one
I'm not building with M, but I did upgrade to sarking in my tile roof.. I was going to get whirly birds, but decided to do it myself later due to costs. The builder ended up adding a whirly bird for free because it was part of the standards
No idea if its worth it.. but I hope so.
I got both the sarking and the whirly bird.

I also got both sarking and whirlybird.

And we also have bricks sitting on our land ATM

What's the number one reason for you to install the sarking?

We didn't get a choice to not have a whirlybird... I wanted an insulation blanket, but M won't install them, so had to settle for sarking ...

I want sarking for moisture barrier and extra insulation

Renman
What's the number one reason for you to install the sarking?

I read it was good for insulation in the "things you forget" forum.

Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum