Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Dulux Natural White for walls

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may have some advice for me...

We had our internal colour selection today and I was set on going with lexicon 1/4 or 1/2 only to find out this shade is not included in our standard range, nor are any of the other whites we were keen on (Casper White 1/2, snowy mountain 1/2 etc)

We were told from our standard range the dulux Natural White is the whitest white we can choose, so we have gone with this for our walls, skirtings and doors and vivid white for our ceiling...

However, to me natural white is still a warm white and I was really set on a cool white as we are going with grey tiles, dark grey carpet and grey/white kitchen - I worry the Natural White will not go with the theme of our house...

Has anyone used natural white they could share their opinions? Photos? Advice?

Thank you!
Why are t they included? They don't cost more? Did they give you price to upgrade? If you aren't 100% perhaps if cost isn't outragous it's worth an upgrade? To repainted in entire house again is a 10k plus job
Something about lexicon and the others we liked needing 3 coats... I think the standard colours they offer as included can be done in 2 coats...

We have asked for a quote, and waiting for her to email but she said it's prob about $2K to upgrade the paint

Today we realised what people talk about when they say everything is expensive to upgrade! Lol
Lexicon wasn't standard with my builder either. It didn't cost to have lexicon 1/4. They just put a disclaimer in noting that the standard coats might not give 100% coverage. I've seen them primed and now with the oil based coats they look schmicko.

I should add that's only for doors and door frames. I'm doing dulux natural white on the walls. Quite a difference in some lights.

Hi Beazley77,

I might check that out with my builder... So did you do lexicon 1/4 for skirtings too? What about for your ceiling?

I did want the crisp white feel, so maybe should try use a different colour for my doors, skirtings etc

Just so disappointed! Lol
Ohok now I see why it's an upgrade. To be honest a 3rd coat is probably one of those things worth upgrading for. I've read on here quite a few people paying to upgrade to a 3rd coat and them saying it was about the $3000 mark.

Our standard inclusion was 3 coat paint so I can't comment on what 2 coats of lexicon half would look like but I can't imagine would be cause for concern on the coverage.
I can't believe these things aren't essential with all builders!

Ill see what the quote is, and in the meantime hope to find some people who used natural white and liked it! Lol
I'm sticking with the standard 2 coat system and will add a 3rd coat to each room after handover. Too expensive to upgrade and for the cost of paint and a little time I'll be able to add my feature walls

Hey Roomeat,

Which colour are you doing two coats in? Was the colour included in your range to choose from?

Thanks
Roomeat
I'm sticking with the standard 2 coat system and will add a 3rd coat to each room after handover.

Depending on the builder, one difference may be that with 3 coats you may get sealer+2 colour coats on top, but with 2 coats they leave off the sealer, and just have the 2 coats of paint. So adding an extra coat of colour afterwards may not be quite the same thing. It's a good idea though, and is a way around their big markup.
First_Home_Adventure
Hi Beazley77,

I might check that out with my builder... So did you do lexicon 1/4 for skirtings too? What about for your ceiling?

I did want the crisp white feel, so maybe should try use a different colour for my doors, skirtings etc

Just so disappointed! Lol

We don't have skirts but when we do they will be lexicon 1/4 too. Doors got two coats over an undercoat and frames the same but with the oil finish. Whatever it was to meet the painting std and they look fine. Better than I thought, and we'd used it before over blue doors in a renovation!

Ceiling is ceiling white and that's just builders std and it looks great too.

oneJohn
Roomeat
I'm sticking with the standard 2 coat system and will add a 3rd coat to each room after handover.

Depending on the builder, one difference may be that with 3 coats you may get sealer+2 colour coats on top, but with 2 coats they leave off the sealer, and just have the 2 coats of paint. So adding an extra coat of colour afterwards may not be quite the same thing. It's a good idea though, and is a way around their big markup.

From what i understand from a couple of painter friends, the 2 coat system is 1 undercoat that has the topcoat colour added to it then 1 topcoat. You have to use a undercoat otherwise paint quality would be way below acceptable levels. It's a waste of money for me too get the 3 coat system. We are planning a complete black theatre that includes wallpaper and some rooms (like the master bedroom) will also end up with wallpaper feature wall. I'll just assess each room as we complete them. If they need another coat we'll do it ourselves

What does 3 coats equate to from your builder? I always though - Base coat, then 2 paint coat?

Building4my3tots
What does 3 coats equate to from your builder? I always though - Base coat, then 2 paint coat?

That is correct.
First_Home_Adventure
Hey Roomeat,

Which colour are you doing two coats in? Was the colour included in your range to choose from?

Thanks

Colour appointment on Friday but will be selecting what ever is closest to straight white.
Would rather builder just give me a solid base to work with after handover.
Who are you building with roomeat?

So for some colours they need to do base coat plus 3 coats?

Let us know how you go with your colours?
First_Home_Adventure
Who are you building with roomeat?

So for some colours they need to do base coat plus 3 coats?

Let us know how you go with your colours?

Building with Clarendon.
Yeah some colours or even different shades of colours will be a upgrade. And from what i understand if you want a low sheen that's a upgrade as well lol

We went lexicon 1/4 on everything! Obviously gloss on doors and skirts and frames and matts for walls but its very white and ours was 2 coats only. I love it!
Even on your ceiling pearz?

I'm so jealous!! Lol
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

8/05/2023
Acrylic render: Dulux or ROCKCOTE

General Discussion

Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply again. I had a chat with the builder, he said he will use primer, then hydrotec which comes with colour and sealer as well. A Renderer I…

22/05/2023
Urgent!!! Bathroom walls

General Discussion

Render your bathroom walls, two opinions versus the one, makes you wonder.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum