Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Modified Noosa 26 Build -Coral Homes

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
We have a triangular 1/2acre block which is narrow at the front –front facing North, as shown in the map.
We are currently thinking of building Noosa 26 with modifications with Coral homes in this block.

We have done some modifications to the actual plan and would much appreciate any advice in improving the plan.
1. Increased the lounge length to 5000 from 4380-planning to make it a media room.
2. Increased the activity area by pushing the side wall back to be inline with the side wall of the house
3. Swap master bedroom with bedroom 3 -We have a covenant with trees at the back, so we thought if we have master bedroom next to outdoor living area it might obstruct the view.
Move the en-suite of master bedroom, close to the door from its original position, therefore getting the masterbed next to the window ,for a better view. Removed the WIR and added two robes to save space.
We want to have a separate toilet with a door to master suite as you can see!

4. We are planning to have the rooms on the east side, lounge,kitchen on the west, hoping to keep the rooms cooler during daytime.

This is our first build and we are clueless to everything regarding building a house-and have learned a lot within the past 2 weeks! Any ideas on a better positioning of the en suite of master bedroom, while maintaining the view from the masterbed or any ideas to improve the house plan would be much appreciated.

Regarding positioning of the house in the land, any suggestions regarding distance from the side, I was thinking about 3m from the straight side, so that the living areas are not too close to the fence, hoping we have enough space on the other side in case we need to get a truck to the back of the house.

Thanks in advance!

Original Plan-

Modified Plan-

Planned position

Land shape -Lot 40
I don't get such a good feel out of the design for that block. These are some thoughts

Without working it through, I see a more L-shaped design that steps out to the east toward the back of the house. That gives more north/south windows, and hopefully getting the living more to the back, rather than to the side. I'd make sure you have room next to the garage to get a truck through, at least 3.5m
I have a similar irregular shaped block that we are building on and our house is 3 metres from the boundary on the blind side to allow for vehicle access
oneJohn
I don't get such a good feel out of the design for that block. These are some thoughts
  • It doesn't take advantage of northern windows. Are you in a hot climate and not wanting heating in winter? Even if that's the case, you are probably still better off with North and South windows to reduce radiant heat loading.
  • You have a large backyard, without really getting visual access to it from the living areas. Moving the master bedroom helps a bit, but it seems short of what should be possible on a block like that.
  • I question the decision to remove the walk-in-robe. On a site that large, saving space shouldn't be such an issue. Saving money might be, but depending on what sort of doors you're putting on those robes, the extra cost in doors may outweigh the savings from reduced floor area. The walk-in robe is pretty much expected these days, as otherwise all your wall is taken up in robing.
  • I'm not keen about the main toilet not having a window.

Without working it through, I see a more L-shaped design that steps out to the east toward the back of the house. That gives more north/south windows, and hopefully getting the living more to the back, rather than to the side. I'd make sure you have room next to the garage to get a truck through, at least 3.5m

Thank you very much for the advice. Regarding keeping space to get a truck through does it have to be on the side where the garage is, what if I keep room on the other opposite side, I am thinking of positioning the house on the angled side now ,so that the outdoor living area would have a better view, is there any problems with that which I might be missing?
It doesn't need to be the same side as the garage, but may make it easier to use the rear access as you can use the driveway crossover to get in.

Aligning it the other way could give you a better aspect to the yard. Be aware of the implications to sun access though. In temperate climates it's often good to align the house to the cardinal direction, so that you get a wall facing due north. The reason is that if that wall has eaves, it will get sun in the windows in winter, but not in summer. Once you align north-east etc, you lose that. In your case you don't have a lot of northern windows anyhow, and I'm guessing you're in a tropical climate, so it may not matter so much.

In a hot climate, on an angled house, you have two walls that are relatively cool - the south-east and south-west, but then the north-east wall and north-west wall especially you might be wanting external shading.
oneJohn
It doesn't need to be the same side as the garage, but may make it easier to use the rear access as you can use the driveway crossover to get in.

Aligning it the other way could give you a better aspect to the yard. Be aware of the implications to sun access though. In temperate climates it's often good to align the house to the cardinal direction, so that you get a wall facing due north. The reason is that if that wall has eaves, it will get sun in the windows in winter, but not in summer. Once you align north-east etc, you lose that. In your case you don't have a lot of northern windows anyhow, and I'm guessing you're in a tropical climate, so it may not matter so much.

In a hot climate, on an angled house, you have two walls that are relatively cool - the south-east and south-west, but then the north-east wall and north-west wall especially you might be wanting external shading.

Thanks again.Sorry I forgot to say I am in Fraser Coast, QLD( South East QLD), therefore more sun! As you said I do not have many windows facing north and in positioning the house at the angled side, master-bed and bedroom 3 will be facing south east and living ,dinning areas facing south west. So hopefully get the important rooms and living areas cooler. I also read this article saying magnetic north is different to solar north. Would you have any idea how to find where the solar north!
I am thinking of keeping the master bed and bedroom 3 without swapping now as the view of the outdoor living area wont be affected with the new position anyway!
Solar north and true north are the same, which is what the plan is drawn to. the 1'15'20 bearing on the west boundary shows its one degree off true north - south. Magnetic north is something like 10 degrees off that, but that's only relevant if you go by a compass.
oneJohn
Solar north and true north are the same, which is what the plan is drawn to. the 1'15'20 bearing on the west boundary shows its one degree off true north - south. Magnetic north is something like 10 degrees off that, but that's only relevant if you go by a compass.

Oh,so that's what the numbers mean! I did not know that till you told me.Lot to learn everyday as a first home builder.Thanks oneJohn.
ShannaLK
I have a similar irregular shaped block that we are building on and our house is 3 metres from the boundary on the blind side to allow for vehicle access

Thanks SHannaLK, is that the same side as where your garage is?
i would keep the walk in robe and put bed 3 where the activity room is. and then i could open up the area where bed three with sliding doors so you can access the out door area, also then master bedroom would be its on private retreat and beds 1 and 2 would be sharing the bathroom. i love the idea of outdoor living and would try and make the outdoor area bigger, this is only what i would do,
1rocky
i would keep the walk in robe and put bed 3 where the activity room is. and then i could open up the area where bed three with sliding doors so you can access the out door area, also then master bedroom would be its on private retreat and beds 1 and 2 would be sharing the bathroom. i love the idea of outdoor living and would try and make the outdoor area bigger, this is only what i would do,

Thanks Irocky, when you say you will swap the bed 3 with activity room, do you mean in the original plan or the modified plan? I am thinking I should keep the WIR now after all your comments. Thanks guys!
Welcome to the adventure cyclone
Posting to follow!
sebeva
Welcome to the adventure cyclone
Posting to follow!

Thanks sebeva,still at the plans stage, long way to go!
Hi all, after a long few months of modifications to the original Noosa 26 plan we finally managed to get the plan we wanted. Thanks a lot to daydream_build ,sebeva, bashworth, manderrine, onejohn and whzzz28 for helping out with the PM's and all the others who shared their ideas in homeone.

We did several changes to the plans as you all can see by moving the master bedroom, bedroom 3 and activity area around. We have a beautiful covenant of trees at the back of our house and hope it all would look nice looking out from the activity and master bedrooms. The dining room window has been replaced with a sliding door.

The other things we had to add were,
1. Provide HSTP
2. Tiling of outdoor living area
3. Increase master bedroom size and outdoor living area size
4. Replace the ensuite with Noosa 28 ensuite and have a separate door to toilet
5. Provide colourbond roof (Noosa 26 comes with tiled roof)
6. Powder waste to 2nd toilet
7. 2 Feature recesses(300mm height*400mm wide*70mm deep) - ensuite shower and main bathroom shower
8. Provide 1 bank of 1000mm 3 shelves to robes in bedroom 2,3,4 with one bottom shelf below hanging rail to act as shoe shelf
9. Provide 2* four 700mm wide shelves to WIR with one bottom shelf below hanging rail to act as shoe shelf
10. Provide barrier screens to all windows and external doors
12. Carpets to rooms and lounge area( will be used as media room) and tiles to main floor ( as included in the promotion)
13. Media room - extra noggins to wall mount the TV and projector
14. Provide keyed lock to garage internal door
15. Increase garage entrance height to be able for a 4WD to be taken to garage
16. Brick in fills above windows/doors
17. Provide foldaway 51 rotatory powder coated aluminium clothes line
18. Owner provided fans in all 4 bedrooms and 1 fan in living area
19. Grey tinting of bedroom 2,3, 4 windows as west/north facing to minimize heating
20. Minimum NBN requirement with network data points for all
rooms
22. Additional garden tap to right side wall of bedroom 4 wall( 3 taps in total)
23. Electrical allowance 5000 dollars
24. Delete technika dishwasher and and upright cooker (we will be providing our appliances)
Here are our choices with tiles and colour selections!

Roof /fascia/gutters - Colourbond basalt (top left )
bricks - Boral Horizon collection- silver cloud
garage door - Colourbond dune (top right)
window/door frames - precious silver (bottom)
outdoor tiles - Alto ash DC-Porc Textured rectified tiles 297*600(upgrade)

main floor tile - Alto ash DC-Porc sealed pol rectified tiles 297*600(upgrade)
wall colour - Dulux snowy mountain half white
kitchen benchtop - caesarstone linen (top left)
kitchen cupboards - Laminex polar white silk finish (upgrade)

kitchen splashback - Traced grey gloss 200*600

Ensuite and main bathroom
floor and shower base- Sidewalk Charcoal FB-Porc Structured text 300*600(top left)
walls - Brooklyn Ash GL-Porc 300*600 (top right)
benchtop - caesarstone walnut( bottom left)
cabinetry - laminex stipple seal natural finish

Laundry
floor - Sidewalk Charcoal FB-Porc Structured text 300*600
splashback - Plex haze gloss structured 300*600 (background)
benchtop - Laminex Greige textile natural finish
cabinetry - Laminex Aries natural finish

Waiting for electrical appointment next week!
Love the main floor tile! You have made some great choices to go with it
cyclone22
Hi everyone,
We have a triangular 1/2acre block which is narrow at the front –front facing North, as shown in the map.
We are currently thinking of building Noosa 26 with modifications with Coral homes in this block.

We have done some modifications to the actual plan and would much appreciate any advice in improving the plan.
1. Increased the lounge length to 5000 from 4380-planning to make it a media room.
2. Increased the activity area by pushing the side wall back to be inline with the side wall of the house
3. Swap master bedroom with bedroom 3 -We have a covenant with trees at the back, so we thought if we have master bedroom next to outdoor living area it might obstruct the view.
Move the en-suite of master bedroom, close to the door from its original position, therefore getting the masterbed next to the window ,for a better view. Removed the WIR and added two robes to save space.
We want to have a separate toilet with a door to master suite as you can see!

4. We are planning to have the rooms on the east side, lounge,kitchen on the west, hoping to keep the rooms cooler during daytime.

This is our first build and we are clueless to everything regarding building a house-and have learned a lot within the past 2 weeks! Any ideas on a better positioning of the en suite of master bedroom, while maintaining the view from the masterbed or any ideas to improve the house plan would be much appreciated.

Regarding positioning of the house in the land, any suggestions regarding distance from the side, I was thinking about 3m from the straight side, so that the living areas are not too close to the fence, hoping we have enough space on the other side in case we need to get a truck to the back of the house.

Thanks in advance!

Original Plan-

Modified Plan-

Planned position

Land shape -Lot 40

I see you went with alto ash for main floor and this is an upgrade - how much extra did you pay?

Sorry Dougang287 for delay in reply,
somehow I have missed the msg, extra for tiles for a 93m2 was 1390 + labour cost of 2669. Because these are rectified tiles it costs more to for labour than the actual tile costs. At the time we were building there was an offer of tiles and carpets included in the packages but that that was the basic range . As Altoash was not in base range we had to pay extra. Hope this helps.
Have you started your build?
Following along, really like the modifications you've made to the plan

GJ Gardner Modified Coolum 277
viewtopic.php?t=83643
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum