Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Simonds Avalon Adelaide

Page 1 of 76
Well kiss the cat and do a jig!
Yes, the building has finally started (in the rain)!

Started this thread new when building commenced on 6 May 2015. Pre-site thread is here

UPSTAIRS PLAN

February 2013 McCracken Homes goes belly up
June 2014 Tossing up between Metricon Elysian and Simonds Avalon
July 2014 Deposit with Simonds
September 2014 Visit Simonds gallery to make selections
December 2014 Signed contract
January 2015 Council approval

TIMELINE| On-site
May 4th 2015 Site scrape and trenching
May 11th Slab pour
May 26th Framing starts
June 18th Windows in
June 24th Plumbing
June 25th Roof
June 29th A/C vents, first electrical
July 5th REPORTED A/C restricted by upstairs plumbing install
July 8th Masonry (bricks) start
July 21st REPORTED damaged alfresco door track
July 24th Masonry (bricks) finish
July 26th REPORTED balcony brick finish error
August 2nd REPORTED A/C, sill slope, poor sarking, broken window, stormwater draining inside
August 4th Cladding done
August11th Exterior paintwork finished and scaffolding down
August 12th REPORTED brick overhang
August 18th REPORTED frame overhang
August 20th Alfresco roof trusses and gutters go on
August 26th Lower storey roof tiles and alfresco roof tiles goes on
August 28th FIXED damaged alfresco door and water out
September 26th FIXED balcony brick finish re-set
October 1st FIXED brick overhang
October 18th FIXED restricted A/C duct (plumbing re-routed)
October 26th FIXED frame overhang, sill slope, sarking
October 27th ceiling, midfloor, internal & external wall insulation
October 30th Gyprock install complete
November 6th Plastering/flushing and all cornices complete
November 9th Stairs in
November 11th External doors, architraves, skirting boards, linen cupboards
November 15th kitchen, pantry, laundry, bathroom cabinets
STOP TIMELINE: can't keep up with action ...
Tiling, paint walls and ceilings, sanitary fittings, tapware, plumbing connections, final electrical, balcony balustrade, doors hung, line and paint alfresco ceiling, external painting, garage door install, fly screens on ...

December 14th PCI ... looks great! Hardly anything to address. Certainly nothing major
December 22nd Practical Completion Sign-off and handover (we get keys!!!)
Ahh. nothing like the rain coming just as you start to build!
WOW - fantastic. Amazing how we get so excited over the simplest things BUT they have started!!!!! Bet you cant stop smiling tonight!
Buy yourself some wellies cos like us we are going to get muddy feet!
Ohhh must tell you....when we met Haydn for a walk around the Harcrest thats being built it was a wet weekend with plenty of mud.
Haydn greeted us and said he would just change his shoes (he was leaving us to head into work at the show homes so obviously didnt want dirty shoes) - he opened his boot leaned in and pulled out a lovely pair of pointy toed business shoes very similar to what he was taking off! We expected work boots but nooooo we all had a chuckle.

Keep us posted - so pleased for you.
LOL that Haydn is the beez kneez! The most helpful, genuine sales person on the planet that ever existed and too CUTE!
He's a 'Guiness Book of World Records' candidate that man ... They need to frame him in 100 years when he passes on.
Woohooooooooo!!! Feel very happy.
TomCat
LOL that Haydn is the beez kneez! The most helpful, genuine sales person on the planet that ever existed and too CUTE!
He's a 'Guiness Book of World Records' candidate that man ... They need to frame him in 100 years when he passes on.

LOL - exactly well worded!! I wonder if he trolls these sites and reads all about how fantastic he is?? Simonds certainly have a very personable, intelligent, thoughtful genuine person selling their homes. You can have the framed Haydn in your house - my gift to you

lol
Yay a start! Looks like you need to invest in some gumboots though
Yay you have action onsite that's fantastic. It's ridiculously exciting to see a digger in action (I totally understand my 3 year olds enthusiasm for diggers now)

Woohoo that's super exciting TC. Looking forward to seeing your slab.

So exciting to finally see a site start - well done. I hope that Adelaide does not have a very wet winter.
Hi Tomcat, Congrats! I am very happy to see your house get started. Can't wait to see more pictures
Hi TomCat nice to see your build starting. Just realised you have started a new thread. Nice choise of lights, what colour are your walls. Also did you upgrade your ensuite bath tub?. I am so jelous of your master bedroom. It is huge!,
Just subscribed, yay for progress!!
Off to peruse your other various threads now....
Me too I'm following your new thread, so happy for you!
Happy site visit today tomcat. Bet your itching to get there

Thanks peeps!

Yes we just got back from the block. The site contractors arrived to collect trench soil and told us concrete is being poured tomorrow. We're doing our best to contact Simonds to tell them to call it off -- it's going to rain tomorrow. Mr TC was getting a bit stressed, although somewhat awkward to watch, completely understandable. Too big and important to let go because you don't want to inconvenience a few people.

RU our walls are quite a deep colour ... mushroomy silvery-cocoa which Haymes call 'Allure'. Is it brownish or greyish? To me it's brownish. We only upgraded the vanity in our ensuite to include drawers and extended the mirror the full width. The bath is standard. It also had a huge cutout in the wall to overlook the bedroom to balcony but took that out.
Wow working on a Sunday
great to see progress and so pleased it's all happening for the Tcats, hope the weather is set to clear up and it can be poured Tuesday / Wednesday instead.

Poor Mr TC's ulcers are about to explode. I'm scared to go home LOL!

He saw this yesterday ...

"oh oh, we have a rebar problem"

And now this morning, "I don't want them pouring in the rain, they have to stop it"
We tried. I rang the sales guy at work yesterday (poor guy ... he's the only one you can contact on weekend). I felt awful doing it, but poor hubby's nerves were so frazzled I had to calm him down.

Oh gosh, this is gonna get worse I can tell. I'm banning him from going there until it's finished

Seriously, what can you do? (Build the thing yourself).
Usually they put black plastic over the top to protect it then re-screed the top after if needed. Sometimes it can take them all day and they have to re-screed a lot of times if the rain is heavy! One guy told me they are basically held to the builder's deadlines and commonsense does not prevail. Results in heaps of extra work for the grano guys I've seen this when we were visiting a friend and the house slab two doors up was being poured, it rained all afternoon...
Poor blokes! It was pouring down

One of the site boys told me they went over the formwork this morning and reset/replaced the collapsed rebar chairs before they poured. Good boy
That's what caused my boy the most angst - risk of concrete cancer. Whoopee ... Let the stress begin ... Wait til the garage door goes up peeps -- if I go quiet around that time it's coz I'm in hiding!
Related
24/12/2023
Garage builder, Adelaide

General Discussion

Building a new home, and looking for a garage builder (home builder not contracted to do this). Someone to build steel garage (double), colorbond, including supply and…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum