Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NSW complying development

Page 1 of 1
Hoping someone can tell me I am wrong... But am I correct in saying to tick the box to go via CDC, any window on a second storey basically ends up glazed or with a privacy screen unless it's set >1.5m up the wall? (With the exception of smaller windows in bedrooms) That to me is just ridiculous....

Unfortunately still more Attractive than my council forcing me to offset all windows by 1.5m when both neighbours have a tonne of windows looking into my lot!

I am also hoping someone might know... If we go via DA to council, is it up to neighbours to object to things like windows, or do they apply the same rules to all ie must offset windows or instal screening? I'm just wondering whether we might get a better outcome that way. Seems so ridiculous given that the house next to us which was built two years ago, has windows directly in line with some of mine so I can't even open my blinds!

Whether you go CDC or DA is relevant more to the actual council involved. You don't say where you are or which council. Some have a lot more flexible rules when it comes to overlooking etc , some don't. For CDC you basically need to comply with everything and if you don't you won't get approval meaning you'll be forced to go the DA route. I've done both for some of my clients. There are pros and cons for either method. Who drew your plans ? They should be able to advise you. Failing that talk to the certifier you are going to use.

Stewie
Hi Stewie I am in the Sutherland shire council area. I spoke with someone from the planning team this morning but he wasn't clear and I still am none the wiser about what process they follow when they receive a DA... Whether they apply the blanket rule or whether they accept the window subject to neighbour objections

You have to remember that council employees like town planners ( who are the guys who process your DA ) are very non-committal over the counter. If you go onto their website, you can have a look at their LEP and DCP which may cover this in their guidelines. I'm only familiar with councils over this side but they seem to not have a great deal of interest in this type of issue. As long as you don't have a window directly opposite they don't see this as a problem. As I said earlier, a certifier or drafty/building designer familiar with your particular council is probably as good as anyone to talk to.

Stewie
Thanks Stewie. Much appreciated. I think by the sound of it it's just gonna be one of those things where only time will tell. Best case scenario it's gonna look a bit like a prison with all the screening.... Worst case it's going to look like Alcatraz and i will build a single storey !

Here is another thread where I have some info regarding DA's and CDC's which may be helpful to you.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74776&p=1279259#p1279259
Forgs last comment regarding downloading the latest guide to CDC is also very relevant.

Stewie
Related
5/09/2023
Changing a window to a door - DA vs complying development

General Discussion

Hi All, I'm new here! I'm in a block of 4 apartments (Waverley council) and looking to change a window to a sliding door. The window faces an enclosed garden (with a…

30/06/2023
Certifier and the Brisbane development website

Building A New House

Hi, does anyone have a clue how the Brisbane Development website work in terms of how uptodate the dates on it are (developmenti.brisbane.qld.gov.au). I transfered…

31/07/2023
Buying untitled land for a development

Buying Land

Yeah I don't know why I came to a forum. Place is full of wierdos/pedos thought internet may help but I suppose I'll try my luck with someone in person. Cheers. I tried…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum