Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Doing you own Electrical work with Carlisle Home

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am building with Carlisle Homes & want to do my own Electrical but so far I've been told that Carlisle don't allow this (most likey to get more money out of you!), I have my REC with 10mil public liability so would be no different from me working on any job. Has anybody had any luck with this?
I would imagine most big builders would shy away from this.
Sux... cause you would save a packet but not sure how it would work with the builders guarantee.
I wasn't even allowed to use my own roof insulation for this reason.
You can most likely do it your self but they will ask you to do it as their contractor and only pay you the stock standard rate they pay all their contractors , you will find that it still could work out alright for you though because you can do whatever upgrades you want without paying a premium rate , ie you will only get paid for the standard install , that would be where you could save a bit if you are looking at doing a lot more than standard ,
So what you need to understand here is that you will still be charged the same rate for electrical in the contract , the builder will pay you as a contractor to do the work , but you have the piece of mind that you did the work and should be able to save on upgrade costs as you can just do those ( or should be able to ) .

That would be fine with me, I understand I would not save much on the standard install but as I am planning on installing C-Bus, network, CCTV, alarm & more it will save me a lot of headache after build. It appears I will need to talk to someone other than the salesman we are currently talking to.

I am yet to encounter a company that will let you do your own electrical. I've got mates who are sparkies and they've all built with Henley, Porter Davis and Metricon and none were allowed to do our electrics "officially." A few of them gave their site supervisor a slab to give them access to install their cbus etc but nothing official
Thanks for the tip Puglover, I will give that a go for sure!

Related
30/06/2023
The 'Do's' to Doing it Yourself

Renovation + Home Improvement

The DIY project can be broken into two major steps. Planning and Design and Construction. Both of these steps are as important as one another to ensure you give…

30/08/2023
Pest control. What is doing this?

General Discussion

Hi group, have some damage to the door frame and skirting board. It's a side door to the laundry area. Only has a security door. I had a termite inspection (note drill…

7/02/2024
Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

Building A New House

Anyone using Bellriver bulder and doing the turnkey projects

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum