Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Housing the Tribe, Gold Coast

Page 190 of 202
Tribe7
WifeofHunza
Oh our KDR journey has been 3 years in the making already and we are still living in he house to knock down
We are down in Melbourne and have a special building overlay that requires quite specific plans. We have had all sorts of false starts from the powers that be granting planning permits. Sadly it is so common, from what we hear, to take this long in our area. We are close now though to having the permits. We have a custom design and our draft person is just fantastic. In the mean time I have been living through everyone else builds online.

You may complete your 2nd build before we complete our 1st.
Great you have secured such a huge block, the fun you can have with so much land! The tribe will love it!

Your build will be worth every penny after the amount of time and patients you have put into it. I love hearing about people who are bending the norm and creating something for themselves. I do very much hope you create a build thread as I would love to follow along. I'm a big fan of the older Melbourne homes, the character and feel of them is so lovely.

We are thrilled with the land, amazing price as well, comes with its own baggage though, like E soil classification. The soil is almost black alluvial soil, amazing stuff and will grow the most beautiful fruit and veg, unfortunately it's costly to put a house on.

We have good news ! We have a planning permit after all these years, I nearly fainted at work when the email came through..... now to the building permit

I will certainly now have to start giving back to this forum by creating my own thread.... never thought I would get to say that!

Wow E class soil that is not something we have had to deal with, you are right though, you are going to have a veggie garden to rival that of a farmer. The kids are going to love getting their hands dirty and digging out real organic vegetables..... they will taste so good!
Congratulations Tribe7!

Good Luck with the new build, I look forward to following it.
Hello Peeps,

A little update, our house settled today
. We are now renting a tiny house (OMG it's squishy) as I've mentioned we have purchased land and we settle on our land on the 10th of April. We have picked a builder and all is going well, he's a great guy and so patient with my questions and endless changes. We are going with a custom design that I've drawn myself (rather daunting to say the least). We have one more trip back to the drafters as I've got a few things to fix and we will be off to the certifiers and council for approvals.

I will start a new thread once the plans are amended, Tim the drafter is a champ and normally returns the plans quickly, it's been an amazing experience to be able to have unfettered access to a drafter and our builder to bounce ideas off. Although I think I've worn out the builder already.

I'm sad to say good bye to our beautiful Metricon home but very grateful for the opportunity it has given us and the experience. It's amazing how much information I'm able to apply to our new design based on our first build and by following other peeps builds. Thanks to all for sharing your info.

A stroll down memory lane

Congrats, Tribe! on settlement of your old house.
Incidentally, we found it travelling thru Gold Coast and it's more amazing in the flesh!
And as you can probably tell, I love red, so really jealous of your red door, which wife won't let us have on ours (... for now).

Have followed your thread silently before this, and look forward to seeing your next build for your tribe! All the best!
Can't wait to follow your next adventure. Sounds amazing.

Don't forget to post here and direct us all to your new thread when the time comes! Looking forward to following the next adventure!::cheerleader::
Tribe7
Some exciting news to share.....

We have been shopping and brought a new block

Three very excited tribe members ready to run down the block

Looking back up the block.

We have made the decision to leave the coast and have brought in south west QLD, the block is just over 4000m2.

We are in the process of getting quotes back and once this happens I'll start a new thread

Congrats on your new block! I'm just new so I look forward to following along with this build

We have also just purchased an acre and a quarter!
ruraldoc
Incidentally, we found it travelling thru Gold Coast and it's more amazing in the flesh!
And as you can probably tell, I love red, so really jealous of your red door, which wife won't let us have on ours (... for now).

Have followed your thread silently before this, and look forward to seeing your next build for your tribe! All the best!

Thank you ruraldoc

Keep on your wife about the door colour, I actually miss ours
. Defiantly makes the house stand out.

I was talking to my builder today and told him I'm watching a new build at Stanthorpe and he raved about how beautiful it is bar the giant rocks

Very much looking forward to getting this next build started. (I'm over procrastinating about colours that's for sure)

livpal5
Can't wait to follow your next adventure. Sounds amazing.

Thanks lovely
. Hope everything is ok down your way with all the wild weather.

WifeofHunza
Don't forget to post here and direct us all to your new thread when the time comes! Looking forward to following the next adventure!::cheerleader::

Will defiantly post a link
. I hope things are progressing with your place. Do you have a thread I can follow??

Congrats on your new block! I'm just new so I look forward to following along with this build

We have also just purchased an acre and a quarter![/quote]

Hello Fleabee,

Thanks for popping in, congrats to you and yours on your land purchase. Do you have a thread of your own?? How have you found Dixon so far? You have had your block cut already ??? Very much looking forward to hearing about your build

Thanks Tribe!
No I haven't had time to sit down and start my own just yet, instead I've been stalking others

We have had a good experience so far with Dixon. However not having built before (or owned a home) we don't have anything to compare them too.
Yes our block was cut monday last week! Only 4 days after the bank gave them our commencement to build letter! Unfortunately the rain has pushed a couple of the dates back, but apparently we are having our footings done tomorrow! Happy days

I'll make time this weekend to start my thread

Can't wait to see what your house is going to look like!
fleabee86
Thanks Tribe!
No I haven't had time to sit down and start my own just yet, instead I've been stalking others

We have had a good experience so far with Dixon. However not having built before (or owned a home) we don't have anything to compare them too.
Yes our block was cut monday last week! Only 4 days after the bank gave them our commencement to build letter! Unfortunately the rain has pushed a couple of the dates back, but apparently we are having our footings done tomorrow! Happy days

It's quite enjoyable just looking at everyone else's choices. I do enjoy looking at all the threads.

Sounds like your having a great experience with them, we hadn't built or owned before we started on our Metricon house either. You will learn so much from the build threads on here and people are so helpful. I certainly have and am very grateful.

Have you taken up the option with Dixon to owner supply a lot of things??

Oh wow thats mighty keen to have your cut done in 4 days, how exciting the footings will be done tomorrow. Can't wait to see your thread, let me know when you start one so I can follow

I'm a little excited about the new house. I've got a solid idea of how I want it to look but scared stiff it might be a monster on the hill as there is no other house in our little estate like it
. Should have plans back tomorrow and hoping to start a new thread next week.

fleabee86
Thanks Tribe!

Awesome! Definitely gonna follow! Shame our area is limited with tradies! Seems like the eastern side of the range gets fast builds!!
Still waiting on footings... but hopefully Easter or shortly after Easter will be slab day!
Link me to your thread when it's started please!
Tribe7
ruraldoc

Thank you ruraldoc

Keep on your wife about the door colour, I actually miss ours
. Defiantly makes the house stand out.

I was talking to my builder today and told him I'm watching a new build at Stanthorpe and he raved about how beautiful it is bar the giant rocks

Very much looking forward to getting this next build started. (I'm over procrastinating about colours that's for sure)

Rocks are definitely a nice feature of the town and makes for very interesting design choices. I'm already getting my hands deep into a few people's builds in town. It's interesting to see their solutions to all the rocks. I've actually started moving some of their rocks to our block to potentially use them for landscaping!
But trying to cope with the rocks can add a bit of expense though, which is a shame, as well as the fact Stanthorpe is a bit remote too, so building and supplies come with increased freight cost. Ah well, the challenges of building!

Wishing great luck and fortune for you and your family moving forward!
Tribe7
WifeofHunza

. I hope things are progressing with your place. Do you have a thread I can follow??
Tribe7
WifeofHunza

Yes all is progressing, just organising the move out of the current place so the can demolish in around 8 weeks. I still have not got a thread up and running . Will let you know when I do.
Tribe7
fleabee86
Thanks Tribe!

It's quite enjoyable just looking at everyone else's choices. I do enjoy looking at all the threads.

Sounds like your having a great experience with them, we hadn't built or owned before we started on our Metricon house either. You will learn so much from the build threads on here and people are so helpful. I certainly have and am very grateful.

Have you taken up the option with Dixon to owner supply a lot of things??

Oh wow thats mighty keen to have your cut done in 4 days, how exciting the footings will be done tomorrow. Can't wait to see your thread, let me know when you start one so I can follow

I'm a little excited about the new house. I've got a solid idea of how I want it to look but scared stiff it might be a monster on the hill as there is no other house in our little estate like it
. Should have plans back tomorrow and hoping to start a new thread next week.
Congrats on the settlement tribe. I have a bit busy with work/life and MIA....will keep an eye out for your new thread. Can't wait to see our design

Franky40
Congrats on the settlement tribe. I have a bit busy with work/life and MIA....will keep an eye out for your new thread. Can't wait to see our design

Hello lovely Franky,

Thank you kindly, we settled on our new land yesterday too

Life is a little manic that's for sure, I hope you got your pool and landscaping issues sorted. Did fair trading step up and help? Did you have to redo your cross over? I often wonder how you got on. I have to admit I've been back to admire your beautiful pendants, I love your Lindsey alderman light
, I'm trying to decide if I want to put a alderman or a moooi heracleum above my dining table

Just spoke to the drafter and he said plans will be back in the next couple of days

Related
30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

3/02/2024
Overshadowing clarification - planning - SL housing

General Discussion

I am not based in Victoria however i had a quick look into your question to understand what you were asking. The way I read the regulations, overshadowing relates to the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum