Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Housing the Tribe, Gold Coast

Page 1 of 202
Hello peoples, we are building a Rialto (modified) with Metricon to house our rather large Tribe in sunny QLD.

Our time line to date:

July 2014 - Paid deposit on hard to find land.
August 2014 - Paid first deposit to Metricon after finally settling on the right plans for our family.
September 2014 - Tender contract received.
October 2014 - Electrical, tile and colour selections completed.
October 2014 - Signed completed build contracts and paid balance of deposit.

Then we sat and waited and waited and waited some more, our land has taken a ridiculously long time to register.
Dealt with our NBN pit as it was placed in our driveway cross over, after many phone calls and emails the pit has be relocated.

Fast forward to:
February 2015 - Land finally registers.
March 2015 - Have a complete freak out about our original electrical, tile & colour selection. Change everything.
March 2015 - All new variations completed and everything back on track.
March 2015 - Titles registered for the land.
March 2015 - Plumbing application lodged to council.
April 1st 2015 - Settlement on the land. Hooray we own a patch of dirt.
April 2nd plumbing approval granted
April 29th site start
May 4th house foot print pegged out.
May 6th piering
May 8th plumbing
May 11th waffles and rio installed
May 13th slab poured
May 20th frames delivered
May 21st first floor frames completed
May 22nd Meters hung in power box
May 27th second story floor joists and second story framing
May 28th roof trusses
May 29th framing completed
June 2nd gutters delivered and scaffolding installed
June 3rd gutters installed and roof tiles delivered
June 4th roof battened and tiles installed (excluding garage and alfresco)
June 5th drainage plumbing installed to second story
June 9th plumbing rough in completed, windows delivered, some doors delivered
June 10th metal flashing delivered, scaffolding lowered from second story to garage and alfresco roof.
June 12th windows installed, external doors installed, electrical rough in completed and council certifications passed.
June 15th garage and alfresco roof tiles done, ducted air con rough in.
June 16th house half blue wrapped, bricks delivered and first two courses laid.
June 17th bricks laid
June 18th and 19th bricks continued
June 22nd, air con vent boxes added, air con fab unit added to upstairs ceiling, plumbing test, bricks to front facade
June 24th, second story scaffolding installed, remaining aircon boxes added.
June 25th, brick work finished
June 26th, Second story wrapped, wall insulation installed, ceiling insulation delivered, gyprock and cornices delivered.
June 29th, gyprock started
June 30th, gyprock finished being hung
July 3rd, plasterers taping and filling up stairs, cladding, eaves delivered
July 6th, plasterers taping and filling down stairs, cornices added upstairs
July 7th, battening out started on second story for the cladding, plasterers sanded second story gyprock.
July 8th, cladding installation started, gyprock completed and sanded, stairs delivered.
July 9th, cladding installation 95% completed, eaves started, stairs installed.
July 10th, water proofing done, all cabinetry delivered, bathroom sinks delivered, cladding continues
July 11th, first coat of painting to cladding and eaves
July 13th, cabinetry installation started, garage door installed, kitchen sink delivered
July 14th, cabinetry install completed, internal fit out supplies delivered
July 15th, remaining cladding and second story eaves installed, internal fit out, window architraves, internal doors, robe shelves, wil shelves installed.
July 16th, internal fit out almost complete, capping to garage and alfresco done, flashing added to garage, drain pipes started.
July 17th internal fit out completed. Wiring pulled to point, gutter completed, tiles delivered.
July 20th scaffolding removed, remaining cladboard and eaves to second story painted.
July 23rd, chat onsite with tiler, plasterers returned to patch holes, plastered stair case wall.
July 24th, Stone and sinks installed, lower garage roof eaves installed, ceiling to portico installed
July 25th, Screeding to second story bathrooms
July 27th, outside plumbing and yard drains completed. Pre painting prep work done.
July 28th, undercoat to all areas requiring it, first official site visit with site supervisor.
July 29th, battening to garage eaves, alfresco eaves installed plus battened. Second coat of paint to walls, ceiling painted in full.
July 30th, painting
July 31st, painting
August 3rd, render painted, lower eaves and internal paint work finished.
August 5th, locked out.
August 7th tiling started
August 10th, bricks washed, tiling continues, all plumbing fit supplies delivered
August 11th, Data installed, tiling continues
August 12th, Ducted air con unit installed, internal ducts installed and controller, tiling continues
August 13th, All internal fit out done, door handles, towel and toilet rails etc, tiling completed
August 14th, Plumbing fit off completed, electrical fit off started
August 17th, cleaners started
August 18th, cleaners finished, plumbing checked, electrical fit off almost finished, flooring delivered and screeded.
August 19th, caulking done
August 20th, laminate floors laid to first floor
August 21st, Scotia installed and laminate flooring finished, carpet laid and completed
August 22nd tiler installed skirt tiles to walls with toilets
August 24th, electrical fit out complete, yard cleaned, bin removed, fence down
August 25th, window service, defect dots added
August 26th, painters and plasters returned to fix defects
August 27th, practical completion inspection completed, new paint dots added
August 28th, Metricon quality control inspection completed
Between August 28th till the 7th September all the plumbing and building certifications where granted, builders final clean and touch ups completed.
September 8th, hand over. 18 weeks total build time from site cut. Congratulations Metricon you did an awesome job

We have had a fantastic experience with Metricon thus far, an extremely fast turn around with our contracts and our csc is brilliant! She is prompt with responses, answers the most bizarre questions from us and is a genuinely lovely person.

House plans and colours selections to follow
Floor Plans.
External Colours

Gunmetal to kitchen cabinetry.
Ice Snow stone to kitchen.
Parador Vintage Soaped Oak flooring to the downstairs areas.
Dark Grey Carpet, unfortunately we do not have a decent photo of the carpet.
Window splash back to kitchen.
Fully ducted air con.
LED Down lights to all light points bar the kitchen, entry foyer and staircase pendants.
WIL 1 downstairs to be a WITC
(walk in toy cupboard)
2550 ceiling height.

White/Grey marble look floor tile to laundry, powder room, main bathroom and en suite floors. (including shower bays 450x450)
Slate Grey 300x100 tile to main bathroom and ensuite shower bay walls, herringbone lay.
Slate Grey 300x100 tile to bath top, hob, splash back, brick bond lay.
Soft grey grout to all areas.
Chalky Teak to all bathroom and powder room cabinetry.
Osprey Stone to main bathroom, en suite and powder room.
White Gloss 300x100 tile to laundry splash back, brick bond lay.
Soft Close Toilets.
2m Shower bay to en suite
Tiled niches to both shower bays.

Ceiling fan/light to 6 bedrooms.
Decking to front portico and back alfresco.
900mm free standing dual fuel cooker
Smart tile floor wastes
Linear pendant light to kitchen. (thanks to JLC for the tip to visit that store)

Yay new thread! Can't wait to see you guys get started. Where is that pendant light from?
woo hoo! Thrilled to see another Metricon build, and in Qld to boot!
I'll be stalking this thread

Love your selections, Tribe7! Can I ask which of your selections were upgrades and which were standard?
Ilaeria
Yay new thread! Can't wait to see you guys get started. Where is that pendant light from?

Finally had time to create a new one
. It's from jd lighting. I loved JLC concrete pendants and she gave me the heads up. They are up at Browns Plains.

Chaton
woo hoo! Thrilled to see another Metricon build, and in Qld to boot!
I'll be stalking this thread
Love your selections, Tribe7! Can I ask which of your selections were upgrades and which were standard?

Thanks Chaton, we went with the standard inclusions but upgraded everything bar the robe doors (mirrored sliders with 5 kids would be nightmare). Which design have you decided to go with?

Love your colour schemes, choices and plan. I wondered what happened to your thread. BTW the link in your sig doesn't activate (I had trouble finding this thread)
Posting to follow again. Haha. I love the colour Selections. Good idea with the toy cupboard. So we are not in council yet because admin are taking their sweet time signing all the docs. Its really not that hard to inital pages and send to council. Grrrrrr! Hoping after easter, though they have given us no indication of when they think they will lodge them. Waiting and patience is not my specialty but i am trying.
TomCat
Love your colour schemes, choices and plan. I wondered what happened to your thread. BTW the link in your sig doesn't activate (I had trouble finding this thread)

Thanks Tom cat, ohhhh I didn't know it's not working I'll fix that ta for the heads up. Bet your busting for the 17th

livpal5
Posting to follow again. Haha. I love the colour Selections. Good idea with the toy cupboard. So we are not in council yet because admin are taking their sweet time signing all the docs. Its really not that hard to inital pages and send to council. Grrrrrr! Hoping after easter, though they have given us no indication of when they think they will lodge them. Waiting and patience is not my specialty but i am trying.

Thanks Livpal, feeling much better about our colour selections now we have fixed them all. I almost died when I found out the cost of built in cabinetry for the toys ect so the WIL is my substitute. Holy cow so everything is done and they are now sitting on there hands and haven't lodged it? I think my patients would of ran out with that response. Why on earth could they not give you an idea on time for lodgement? Does your whole build application have to go to council? or can a private certifier make the approvals and only the plumbing application go to council?
We received a phone call from Metricon late this afternoon to let us know the building certifier has approved our plans. Hooray!!!! We will find out next week when our site start will be (hopefully).
That's awesome news Tribe7! Not long now!

———
Sent from Tapatalk
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=76446
Mmmm never thought of that. Thinking they all need to go to council. I must say though i leave all the communication up to my hubby because he and i both know how impatient i am and how often i would be bugging them. But he is the opposite and doesnt ask questions and just happy to cruise along at their speed. Grrr. I will give them till after easter then i will ring. Its funny though they will telling us it would be in council before Christmas, then at the start of the year then by February and look at us we are still here and waiting. Very frustrating.
congrats on the approval. Cant wait to see it all start for u.
Yay! Yes I'm looking forward to 17th. I'm going to call next week to be sure
Tribe7
We received a phone call from Metricon late this afternoon to let us know the building certifier has approved our plans. Hooray!!!! We will find out next week when our site start will be (hopefully).

Congratulations Tribe
Subcribed. Im building on the Gold Coast as well. Looks like you about 4 weeks ahead of me.
Related
30/05/2023
Rear setback confusion for NSW CDC Housing Code

Building A New House

Hi All, see above image. The required setback from the rear boundary in my case is 5m, as you can see the shape of the site and location of the boundary is slightly…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

3/02/2024
Overshadowing clarification - planning - SL housing

General Discussion

I am not based in Victoria however i had a quick look into your question to understand what you were asking. The way I read the regulations, overshadowing relates to the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum