Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Order of post hand over trades?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We are planning to get tradies in for quite a few things after handover but these are the main things.

I am just wondering if there is any appropriate order that things should be completed? here's what i'm thinking but please let me know if this isn't the best order..

1. flooring
2. painting
3. installation of down lights
4. window coverings

Thanks everyone
What type of flooring ? I'd have tiling done first, but if it is just carpet/timber I'd do:

1. Painting
2. downlights ( sparkies are messy buggers and will wreck your new carpet )
3&4 flooring and windows
yeah just laminate flooring, so get it done last?
I'd have lights first, as Snowy said sparkies will have to cut the plaster etc so there will be plaster dust everywhere
Nic and Shell 1
I'd have lights first, as Snowy said sparkies will have to cut the plaster etc so there will be plaster dust everywhere

But do you want to let the painters near your lights?
It'd be ideal if the sparkies could do everything but the actual fitting before the painters, and install just the lights after (which is what our builder did); but if not, the painters are going to get as much paint all over the place as the sparkies will get plaster, so I think I'd go for the painters first.
The builder is putting bayonets in so those holes will need to be patched up and painted over once the bayonet has been taken out (they won't just put batterns in the ceiling, I already asked and they sad no) so maybe I will get the lights done first then the painter can go over the patched sections then window coverings then flooring? Also if I want to get the little holes from the bayonet patched will the painter do this or do I need to do it myself?

Good idea about the sparky coming back later to do the fitting after the painter has been. I'll ask if the sparky could do that.

I would have elec work first , paint , floor , then widow treatments .you will find though while floor is getting done you may find they chip some of your paint .
We are doing

1) paint
2) floors (bamboo)
3) paint touch up and window treatments
4) lights
Our Honeywood Build
(they won't just put batterns in the ceiling, I already asked and they sad no)

Not sure what stage your build is at, might be too late to request a change but maybe try asking for 'junction boxes' in the roof space instead of the battens? That's what we did in all the rooms we wanted downlights.

I'd be asking why if they say they won't do it. Patched holes will be (barely) noticeable, but why create the extra work if it can be avoided?
I already asked them for junction boxes and they said no. They won't budge and it's super annoying but I can't be bothered fighting them anymore haha

Our sparkie came back a few times. He said to live with some of the lights for a while and really figure out where you want them once furniture was in. (500km drive at no cost to us)

We only had LED and fans, so it was easy to do after the painter had done the ceiliings.
Ah that's so nice of him! Yeah because it's hard to even know if you should get cool or warm until you're in and you can see it with your furniture isn't it?!

We have done lighting first, then painting. Painters were fine around our led lights. They take care and if they don't well that's not acceptable. Then we have ordered window treatments at the same time which takes 3-4 weeks to make but cannot be installed until painting is done.
Then floor tiles, then skirting boards and lastly carpet.

Thanks Hun. Yeah that sounds about right

Related
18/02/2024
Electrical and plumbing plans post hand-over?

Building A New House

If there have been changes, variations, during construction then the drawings should be revised, the building permit amended and the current, as built drawings given to…

24/01/2024
Mark up on material by trades as an owner builder

Building A New House

Always get multiple quotes, no matter how reasonable/cheap you think it is. I remember getting a few quotes for a pool fence, roughly around the same price, thinking the…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum