Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need to pick your brain about render

Page 1 of 1
I need some help.

We wanted a face brick house but the brickie stuffed the brickwork so we are settling with render.

We weren't prepared for this so have no idea which render to get. Our option is acrylic or sand and cement. I have also been asked by friends are you getting colour added into the render.. like what? don't they just paint over the top.

Other question is I have looked at our builders sand and cement rendered house and the corners all have chips in them. I have looked at near by builds and they have (looks like plastic sort of) corners set into them so they can't chip.

I can't find much about render in general on the internet.

Question is pros and cons.

We live on outskirts of Canberra so is one more suitable over the other due to extreme weather.

Question for people who have built with MJH. I have been to their display house (after hours so no one to ask) and I can't work out what render theirs is. If it's acrylic or sand & cement.

Any information or opinions would be great.
If the brickie stuffed it, I would be making the brickie fix it.
If I had a choice between face brick and render I would take face brick any day.
Face Brick = character with no maintenance
Render = plain boring and forever maintenance.
^^ and that too
Hmmm good question.
Two of my kids have recently had homes built and they also have chips off the corners of the render.
I asked why 'corner profiles' aren't used. Apparently they are available but more expensive.
WTH? can't be more expensive than having to fix the corner chips.

I have rendered a couple of houses as you do..(getting vertical flat is a peicesa....)
...and also acrylic rendered an administration and lab building for BHP at Beenup in WA and that was tough stuff, colour through trowel applied. Pretty sure the impact resistance would be better than conventional sand cement lime render.
The acrylic would have less maintenance I'd have thought.
Though if you waterproofed 'oxide' coloured render with siloxane as I did(and another 60 or 70 rendered homes), the maintenance is well reduced, it is only when you paint it that maintenance becomes an issue.
my 2 bobs worth
Roomeat
If the brickie stuffed it, I would be making the brickie fix it.
If I had a choice between face brick and render I would take face brick any day.
Face Brick = character with no maintenance
Render = plain boring and forever maintenance.

Hi Roomeat. I totally agree with you. We took forever to pick our upgraded face brick and I love love love it. We arranged colours all around this face brick but after 6 weeks going through the dispute process with independent inspectors and council it was just too much and wasn't going anywhere. So we didn't have much choice but to agree with render.
onc_artisan
^^ and that too
Hmmm good question.
Two of my kids have recently had homes built and they also have chips off the corners of the render.
I asked why 'corner profiles' aren't used. Apparently they are available but more expensive.
WTH? can't be more expensive than having to fix the corner chips.

I have rendered a couple of houses as you do..(getting vertical flat is a peicesa....)
...and also acrylic rendered an administration and lab building for BHP at Beenup in WA and that was tough stuff, colour through trowel applied. Pretty sure the impact resistance would be better than conventional sand cement lime render.
The acrylic would have less maintenance I'd have thought.
Though if you waterproofed 'oxide' coloured render with siloxane as I did(and another 60 or 70 rendered homes), the maintenance is well reduced, it is only when you paint it that maintenance becomes an issue.
my 2 bobs worth

Thank you onc.
I would of thought those corner profiles would be standard as it looks dreadful with all the chips.
So yeah that's what it seems to be, my issue is acrylic would be less maintenance but sand & cement looks better.
Thanks for your 2 bobs worth
Related
29/01/2024
Conveyancer didn't pick up an overland flow path

Buying Land

You may still have a case, but your next step is to speak to a lawyer.

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

8/05/2023
Acrylic render: Dulux or ROCKCOTE

General Discussion

Hi Alex, Thanks for the reply again. I had a chat with the builder, he said he will use primer, then hydrotec which comes with colour and sealer as well. A Renderer I…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum