Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Celebration Homes - Cornice (ceiling)

Page 1 of 1
I prefer an unobstructed flow with no cornice on the ceiling. Can the cornice be removed? If not, why?
I have no cornices the look you are after is called square set
You may find some builders reluctant to square set, or charge a fair bit for it, because they can suffer more from cracking if not done right.
The cornice i was talking about is not located between wall and celing; it is located on the ceiling only as if to separate areas e.g. Entry and living.
Your cornice might be covering a "gap" if your ceiling board hasn't been butted right up to wall edge. Be careful...unless you're still at design stage
It sounds a bit unclear what you mean if there's no wall involved. Perhaps it is a wall, but with an opening in it, and actually you want to remove the wall rather than just the cornice? If so, there could be structural reasons for having it there.
[quote="oneJohn"]It sounds a bit unclear what you mean if there's no wall involved."

OneJohn - exactly! if there is no wall to ceiling connection why put in the cornice? As I mentioned above it is located somewhat to delineate area of the house with the same ceiling height. In one instance I saw a cornice between living and entry. In some instances it's located where a door header ought to be located.
Do you have a photo of this? Is it built yet or are you making assumptions from the plans?
Burnsfirsttime
Do you have a photo of this? Is it built yet or are you making assumptions from the plans?

http://www.celebrationhomes.com.au/disp ... /blanchett - - - slides 4 6 7 8
This will be what you mean...

It's like a 90mm deep bulkhead over an opening. It's probably there just for asthetic reasons, and you should be able to remove it. However, it is possible they are running a beam across that space to brace the outside wall off the internal wall. If so, the alternatives would be to run it down lower, and make it look more like a bulkhead, or to instead run a beam across in the ceiling space - which may be more costly.
Related
16/03/2024
Crooked wall or cornice?

Building A New House

The photo is not really clear but to me it looks like twist in the cornice. Slight anticlockwise rotation at the top of the cornice and slightly clockwise at bottom should…

17/06/2023
How to remove ceiling air con vent?

General Discussion

How do you remove one of these ceiling air con vents? And is it possible to disconnect the duct joined to the vent from inside the house, without going into the roof cavity?

28/06/2023
Leaks on ceiling

General Discussion

There is water getting into the ceiling, I expected to find some holes in the corrugated roof but there weren't any so I suspect that the roof drip edge is letting water…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum