Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Asbestos! Ugh $$$$

Page 1 of 1
Should there be any asbestos left after concealed asbestos removal???

We had our 60 yr old asbestos Clad home demolished today (yay!) in preparation for building (yay!) they factored in the safe removal and disposal of the cladding and we were charged for it which was ok (we made sure we used a properly certified company). Half way through the day we had a call - the broke up the garage slab and it looks like all the excess building material 60yrs ago was thrown in that area prior to the slab being poured. There were roof tiles, bricks and more asbestos! Work stopped till we ok'ed the removal of the concealed asbestos (at a price) which we did. So they proceeded with the demolition and we got a call saying demolition is complete, please pay

We just went to site and walked around and in the area where the garage slab was, there was still chunks of roof tile, bricks and we found at least 5 pieces of asbestos! I thought they would have scraped off all the contaminated area and removed it???? If we can find it so easily on the surface, how much is remaining in the ground? If we go to install a pool at a later date and they find this asbestos - will we be charged again many $k to remove it?

Advice please

I may be wrong but im pretty sure once you find contaminated soil your supposed to do a site scrape and remove about 400mm of soil from the affected areas.
Interesting! I'd expect the demo/asbestos removal company you engaged to know what they're doing there and do it properly. What you describe does not sound 'proper' to me. If you haven't paid yet, there's your chance to get them to do it 'proper'. Congratulations on your new house. Exciting and YAY! indeed
They came through and removed the visible asbestos and the certifier came through and passed it. Hmmmm

Related
13/10/2023
Renovating new home - Asbestos question

Renovation + Home Improvement

What you are looking at is fibrous plaster, true gypsum, it is cast on horizontal beds with fibers included to give strength. I has no Asbestos in it. Houses before 1985…

8/02/2024
Asbestos?

General Discussion

Damn. Know where I could find some?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum