Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom build on 40 acres - DH's house warming present

Page 2 of 38
Bonnie_p
I ADORE all of your colours, I think we have similar taste.

Im having wooden flooring too! What made you choose vinyl plank over timber laminate or did you never consider the laminate? Ive had a terrible time choosing between the two! Ultimately decided to o with the laminate...

your paint colour for the interior is also quite similar to mine too
we will have twin houses lol

Thanks for the lovely comments. We really only considered laminate for a very short time, but after being told it is not good with water spills we decided to choose vinyl since our kitchen will also have the planks. And since we have dogs we never looked at real timer as they will scratch far too easily (and I think they are pretty expensive!!).
housebythewater
Gorgeous red bricks for fire wall will indeed be a feature in their own right. What'd I'd do for an authentic exposed brick wall like that! I wouldn't add to that upfront either. I suspect you may also want to show off your views, so I'd keep the colours simple too.

Thank you, you have confirmed my thoughts! I will just stick with the Beige Royal 1/2 on the walls which is quite light, especially in a big room with lots of light.
[quote="Bonnie_p"]I ADORE all of your colours, I think we have similar taste.

Similar taste - more than you think! I just saw that you have two bulldogs, we have two staffies
What a wonderful build!! Will be lovely watching your progress. Love, love love your flooring!!
Thanks jodie63, I can't wait for the flooring! unfortunately it will be one of the last things to go in
Good things to those that wait!
I have a bit of a dilemma, hoping for some thoughts/suggestions.

Below is a snippet of our Family Room which will have our lounge and TV on the left and the dining table on the right side. As you can see we really only have one decent wall where we were going to have our TV, but that would mean that our lounge would need to be orientated to the wall and therefore not facing the views (which are north and east) or the fireplace.

My husband suggested that we could put the TV in the middle of the room and have the type of unit that the TV can pop out of at the top so it can be tucked away when we are not watching it. This way the lounge will be backing the big wall and we would be facing the view and fire. This would then mean that we would need to chase the power through the concrete floor, which isn't a big problem as that will need to be done for the kitchen benchtop power anyway, but we would have to make a decision soon before the electrician comes.

Do you think it would look weird having the TV unit in the middle of the room? We would be looking for quite a small low cabinet if we did.

jodie63
Good things to those that wait!

Sad but true!
That's a tough dilemma..... Mmmm
The wall on the left is that floor to ceiling windows?
jodie63
The wall on the left is that floor to ceiling windows?

The left wall (west wall) that is cross hatched is a full wall with no windows, the northern side (both sides of the fireplace) are wall to wall windows with highlights at the top and the right wall (facing west) is our large slider.

This 3D image may help, the room I am referring too is the one with the extra high windows at the top.

And yes I think the wall you are referring to is a big window.
Love those extra tall windows u will certainly won't miss those views!
Could u flip the meals to the other side?? That way u could get a modular couch looking towards the views. Your hubbys idea would still work. U could put tv along the right side windows. It will stop the reflection too on the tv. When not using tv it could go down & u can watch the scenery outside.
It's hard bcse it would be nice to incorporate the fireplace into the couch area as it should be the focal point.
Hide the TV above the fireplace or move it to the lounge room. There are various ways to disguise the telly - check out some options on Pinterest. Not being a big telly watcher we are not putting our telly in our living room with views.
jodie 63 Good point about switching sides, not so sure about putting the TV in front of the window, I will have to think it over.

housebythewater we purposely put in two rooms for TV's so when it is Friday night football night I can kick the husband out and watch what I want
Love the idea of putting the TV above the fire place but unfortunately it is an open nook with a freestanding fireplace and an exposed flue. I'll have a look at Pinterest & Houzz for some inspiration. Boy this is harder than I thought!! Thanks for the ideas
What blinds or curtains are u thinking??
jodie63
What blinds or curtains are u thinking??

That's a very good question. We don't need any for privacy as there is no neighbours in sight so we plan to move in and see if we need them at all. It is possible we may need them for light or temperature reasons and if we do I quite like the Luxaflex Silhouette blinds (http://www.luxaflex.com.au/window/cover ... silhouette) but that's yet to be decided too.
It's great that u dont need them for privacy reasons! Weather conditions I was thinking more along those lines. Also with the tv wherever u do decide to put it may get a lot of reflection from such a light filled room?? Blinds might help that.
jodie63
It's great that u dont need them for privacy reasons! Weather conditions I was thinking more along those lines. Also with the tv wherever u do decide to put it may get a lot of reflection from such a light filled room?? Blinds might help that.

Yes I think reflection may be a big issue with so many windows, good point! Actually I can probably work that out even at this early stage since the windows are in - I'll have to go down and have a look.

Maybe I'll just have to have the TV on wheels and put power points everywhere
MnT
Bonnie_p
I ADORE all of your colours, I think we have similar taste.

Similar taste - more than you think! I just saw that you have two bulldogs, we have two staffies

Oh wow, I guess we are almost twins lol. Great taste! You have me second guessing the laminate now. I think its too late to change though and my OH is quite set on it so we will just have to hope for the best!
U can never have too many power points
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

14/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

And we're finally moving forward! Trenches and plumbing in, should hopefully see a slab any day now.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum