Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Deciding on a plan

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for all the input and ideas everyone. In the end I have decided on the Saville 27 with some minor tweaks. I went for the 27 because I can shrink the afresco in favour of a larger living area - I'm no entertainer, so a small alfresco is fine for me. I want to keep the media room to use as a library for bookcases and display cases; the study up the front I had originally deleted and absorbed the space into the bedroom, but the bedroom doesn't need extra space and I thought maybe I could use the study as a home gym or something.

I am going to completely redesign the kitchen however, as it just doesn't seem to have enough storage for its size. Not sure of the design yet, but I'll come up with something!
Good luck!! Looking forward to seeing the final plan
Great decision. Start a blog/build thread. Would love to see how it all goes.

Cheers
Adam_C
Tristanium
Try to get your north on the living/meals or alfresco/family side if possible

Yep, I chose the block with that in mind. North is at the rear of the house, and will flip it over so the living spaces are facing East rather than West.

I'm not sure flipping the plan is a wise idea. It will result in West facing bedrooms, which is a big no-no, unless you're in a particularly cool climate. I'd prefer to have the western garage, laundry, alfresco, & some living areas if you must.

Personally, I don't think either plan makes great use of your north facing rear yard. As Tristanium said, you want to try & have a majority of your living areas face north, not bed 4 & alfresco. Hard to do with a 4 bed place with that block though.
ddarroch
I'm not sure flipping the plan is a wise idea. It will result in West facing bedrooms, which is a big no-no, unless you're in a particularly cool climate. I'd prefer to have the western garage, laundry, alfresco, & some living areas if you must.

Personally, I don't think either plan makes great use of your north facing rear yard. As Tristanium said, you want to try & have a majority of your living areas face north, not bed 4 & alfresco. Hard to do with a 4 bed place with that block though.

Thanks for your input. The reasoning is that the main living spaces will be on the North and East sides. Yes that puts the other bedrooms on the West, but they will be mostly unoccupied anyway.

Adam
Related
25/05/2023
Floor plan review

Building A New House

i thought the flipped plan initially but bec i want narrow pathway from entry to dining (dont like bend), also cannot fit the…

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum