Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Has anyone used Boral Slimwood ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Has anyone used Boral Slimwood ?
http://www.boral.com.au/Article/Timber_Timber_Flooring_-_Slimwood.asp?AUD=homeGarden_TimberFlooring

If you have, can you please tell me the approx price per square metre installed & what you think of it ?

I'm interested in installing this straight onto our slab.
Overpriced!!

There are better options out there.
Hi Newbuilder,

It'd be great if there were better options... my requirements are :-
Max 20mm height gain (cannot have battons).
Must be high gloss finish (no laminates have this).
I have a concrete floor.

Does anyone know what my options are ?
Just came back from a flooring shop (SYD) and got a price (not quote) on Spotted Gum 80mm single boards with 'Natural' finish see http://www.boral.com.au/Article/Timber_ ... erFlooring for info on the finishes.

and installed including underlay $104 per sqm. The 80mm single boards resemble a traditional timber floor and their lenghts average at 2400mm per board.

The wider boards in Spotted Gum is around the $135 per sqm mark.
Hi,
We are having Tassy Oak prefinished boards 14mm thick and 115mm wide, solid wood direct stick method to the concrete floor. 65square metres $8000 which includes, flooring, delivery, moisture barrier, laying and beading. We bought from Gunns Timber. Also have Kempas and Jarrah, the Jarrah is 19mm thick plus various widths. We love the feel and sound of solid wood, don't like the hollow sound of floating floors. It may be another option for you, just a thought! The gloss is not really glossy but alot shinier than most other prefinished flooring.
kirribilli
Hi,
We love the feel and sound of solid wood, don't like the hollow sound of floating floors.

That is EXACTLY what DH says. We are about to start looking into this, too, and were also considering Boral Slimwood. We are currently building, soo we'll be laying on concrete, and DH wants it glued - he hates the sound and feel of floating floors. Yours sounds great - just the finish (and feel) we're looking for. Is Gunn's national, or local to you ( and where are you - Sydney ???)
I have been in many different flooring shops and cannot tell any difference between the "feel" of floating boards to the real timber ones??
Hi rowan - I'm not quite as fussy as DH, but you can feel the difference - just not as solid underfoot, I guess I would say. The Boral Slimwood is glued down, so you wouldn't have that 'hollow' feel. It doesn't bother me all that much, but it DOES bother DH
I guess it's just one of those things that's a matter of personal taste.
Googled "Gunns" - it's in Tasmania
. Anyone have any suggestions for where to look in suburban Melbourne?
The Boral website might have a list of their outlets. Someone gave me a list for Adelaide & boral slimwood was available through many outlets including carpet court.

We ended up getting ours (sydney bluegum 13mm I think
) through planet timbers who source their own timber, & we used the direct stick method.

We've also had a floating floor & didn't like the "feel" of it as much, all personal choice though.
Hi Petal,
We're in WA, but Gunns is national - in Melbourne its located at 1 Rogers Street, Port Melbourne Ph: 03 9646 0088. There is one in every state.
They only have the best select grade, so the colour and grain is really nice. For the price, the boards are much wider and being prefinished is very convenient, no mess! We particularly wanted prefinished with a nice shine,
http://www.gunns.com.au/timber/distribution.html
Yay! Thanks so much for that, kirribilli. Will be checking that out very shortly.
Related
19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum