Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Mojo Homes

Page 45 of 62
Hi, Im not sure if you are replying to my post but our increase was $35000 and it was MOJO's mistakes and paperwork delays that caused our tender expiry etc etc. Yes prices go up , and good business practice is to factor that into a quote, BUT when project home companies quote a price for a given time period that price is fixed. It seems the current tactic is to make sure everyone has their tender expire. They are full of promises etc etc. As our lawyer pointed out , the day we signed the contract they knew our tender period would expire before they could complete our paperwork but they did not make us aware of this. They coerced us into signing plans that were not correct saying 'it can all be fixed in variations ' and ' if you don't sign this we cant move onto electrical' etc etc. My advice...Be very very careful anyone who wishes to continue with them.
From what I understand, even though Mojo are under the MJH umbrella they operate separately.

While I read about burnt out SS', and painful administration periods, they seem to be showibg the teething issues of a new company.

As I said to their operations manger and our CLO...I am sick of hearing about 'teething issues of a new company' If I were to set up a hospital and then open for 'buiness' then the patients would expect they would have access to eveything a normall hospital would have. I wouldn't have been able to open the hospital without it.
Mojo have a parent company MacDonald Jones homes, who have been around for YEARS. Thus they have a tried and tested business practice model and know what they need.
If I ran a hospital and made as many mistakes as Mojo has because of 'teething issues' I would have at least 100 dead people on my hands in the last year!!!
Ive written this reply a few times and have reworded it because i am infact happy with Mojo. I dont think you can compare health care practices to building.

1) im really happy with mojos ground staff. They are always pleasand and get back to me within 48hrs.

2) i agree the time it's taken from tender to be file to site is really long. But and a big BUT its not uncommon in the industry for it to take that long. Most get done by the expiry. Any hiccups and youre cutting it close.

ja-mez
Ive written this reply a few times and have reworded it because i am infact happy with Mojo. I dont think you can compare health care practices to building.

1) im really happy with mojos ground staff. They are always pleasand and get back to me within 48hrs.

2) i agree the time it's taken from tender to be file to site is really long. But and a big BUT its not uncommon in the industry for it to take that long. Most get done by the expiry. Any hiccups and youre cutting it close.

Same here ja-mez. I'm not saying others negative experiences aren't true, but these forums (and the Facebook pages) do tend to become overwhelmingly negative. I think it's important to also share positives too.

We have our plans presentation tomorrow, 5 months since our initial tender. Yes, getting here had taken a lot longer than I anticipated but that is the nature of a project builder, especially when there are so many jobs on the go. Some of the delays have been at their end (missing items requested of our tender), some ours (changes wanted to how they were cutting​ into our block to give us a higher final slab level) and some simple misunderstandings. The time delay happens because everyone a change happens it goes back in the pile so to speak. Decide you want to move a door? Sounds simple enough but that means you go back to the estimator team, who puts your job in back at the bottom of the list of jobs they're working through.

Some may argue that this means they've taken on more than they can manage, but they are volume builders... They get the prices they offer by buying it in volume, it's the buying power of having hundreds (maybe thousands) of jobs that mean they can offer the low base prices they do.

I've seen so many people say "for the price I ended up paying I could have gone with a custom builder" in these forums but I've yet to have someone give me a custom builder they've used who did in fact match that price. I contacted many custom builders asking if they could build what we wanted in our budget and all said outright no. Mojo had the closest design to our needs that we could hack to get just right, it's a bigger house than we were asking the custom builders for too. They had many of the upgrades we wanted in the promotion at the time and we got a quote on others up front before tender. Once we got our final CT back, still have room to spend almost 75k in colours and electricals.

Had we gone custom we'd probably be building already by now, but it's the price you pay... for the price you pay

I don't think it's fair to compare a builder to a hospital. Nearly all businesses would fail in that comparison. To me it's more like comparing public hospital to private. It's like choosing to go public and then complaining about the wait times, food options, not having a private room and being kicked out of the hospital the day after surgery. If those things are important to you and you can afford to, you go private. If money is more important you go public. (Obviously choosing hospitals is significantly more complicated than this, I'm just saying it for comparison sake).

We received our plans yesterday (2 days prior to our presentation just as our project coordinator promised) and I was ready to see huge mistakes given how many changes we'd made to the layout, but they've got everything, only found some minor issues which are more oversights than errors. I must say I'm impressed.

Hopefully things continue smoothly from here on in, I'm prepared for the bumps though... It will be worth it in the end

nennles
ja-mez

Same here ja-mez. I'm not saying others negative experiences aren't true, but these forums (and the Facebook pages) do tend to become overwhelmingly negative. I think it's important to also share positives too.

We have our plans presentation tomorrow, 5 months since our initial tender. Yes, getting here had taken a lot longer than I anticipated but that is the nature of a project builder, especially when there are so many jobs on the go. Some of the delays have been at their end (missing items requested of our tender), some ours (changes wanted to how they were cutting​ into our block to give us a higher final slab level) and some simple misunderstandings. The time delay happens because everyone a change happens it goes back in the pile so to speak. Decide you want to move a door? Sounds simple enough but that means you go back to the estimator team, who puts your job in back at the bottom of the list of jobs they're working through.

Some may argue that this means they've taken on more than they can manage, but they are volume builders... They get the prices they offer by buying it in volume, it's the buying power of having hundreds (maybe thousands) of jobs that mean they can offer the low base prices they do.

I've seen so many people say "for the price I ended up paying I could have gone with a custom builder" in these forums but I've yet to have someone give me a custom builder they've used who did in fact match that price. I contacted many custom builders asking if they could build what we wanted in our budget and all said outright no. Mojo had the closest design to our needs that we could hack to get just right, it's a bigger house than we were asking the custom builders for too. They had many of the upgrades we wanted in the promotion at the time and we got a quote on others up front before tender. Once we got our final CT back, still have room to spend almost 75k in colours and electricals.

Had we gone custom we'd probably be building already by now, but it's the price you pay... for the price you pay

I don't think it's fair to compare a builder to a hospital. Nearly all businesses would fail in that comparison. To me it's more like comparing public hospital to private. It's like choosing to go public and then complaining about the wait times, food options, not having a private room and being kicked out of the hospital the day after surgery. If those things are important to you and you can afford to, you go private. If money is more important you go public. (Obviously choosing hospitals is significantly more complicated than this, I'm just saying it for comparison sake).

We received our plans yesterday (2 days prior to our presentation just as our project coordinator promised) and I was ready to see huge mistakes given how many changes we'd made to the layout, but they've got everything, only found some minor issues which are more oversights than errors. I must say I'm impressed.

Hopefully things continue smoothly from here on in, I'm prepared for the bumps though... It will be worth it in the end

If I was you I wouldn't be. If they are that busy put on more people or take on less jobs. Some things could be fixed/ironed out with a simple call. But they don't, they let it go from one person to the next. Through there bad processes and back to you with simple mistakes.

zerog101
nennles
ja-mez

If I was you I wouldn't be. If they are that busy put on more people or take on less jobs. Some things could be fixed/ironed out with a simple call. But they don't, they let it go from one person to the next. Through there bad processes and back to you with simple mistakes.

Each to their own I say.

Thing is the only builders who's designs and display quality we liked have the same issue and same feedback. We had an initial tender done with Firstyle too and they took 12 weeks to get it to us

There are major shortages in the industry and simply hiring more is not always an option.

Maybe I choose to see the positives in the world instead of the negatives... I just find life more enjoyable that way.

nennles
zerog101
nennles
[quote="ja-mez"]Ive written this reply a few times and have reworded it because i am infact happy with Mojo. I dont think you can compare health care practices to building.

Each to their own I say.

Thing is the only builders who's designs and display quality we liked have the same issue and same feedback. We had an initial tender done with Firstyle too and they took 12 weeks to get it to us

There are major shortages in the industry and simply hiring more is not always an option.

Maybe I choose to see the positives in the world instead of the negatives... I just find life more enjoyable that way.

[/quote]
hope you feel the same way when your tender expires and they try to charge you 40k.

nennles
ja-mez

We have our plans presentation tomorrow, 5 months since our initial tender. Yes, getting here had taken a lot longer than I anticipated but that is the nature of a project builder, especially when there are so many jobs on the go. Some of the delays have been at their end (missing items requested of our tender), some ours (changes wanted to how they were cutting into our block to give us a higher final slab level) and some simple misunderstandings. The time delay happens because everyone a change happens it goes back in the pile so to speak. Decide you want to move a door? Sounds simple enough but that means you go back to the estimator team, who puts your job in back at the bottom of the list of jobs they're working through.

This should be posted on all general building threads (Metricon/Coral/PD/...)

Spend more time choosing a builder and know the positives and negatives and decide whether you can accept the negatives before signing... (there are posts here discussing the delays but people still go ahead and choose Mojo hoping it is not going to happen to them and then come here and whine that the builder is slow/delaying)

The grass is always greener on the other side.... no builder is perfect....

Negative attitude is contagious.....
RegVic
nennles
ja-mez

We have our plans presentation tomorrow, 5 months since our initial tender. Yes, getting here had taken a lot longer than I anticipated but that is the nature of a project builder, especially when there are so many jobs on the go. Some of the delays have been at their end (missing items requested of our tender), some ours (changes wanted to how they were cutting into our block to give us a higher final slab level) and some simple misunderstandings. The time delay happens because everyone a change happens it goes back in the pile so to speak. Decide you want to move a door? Sounds simple enough but that means you go back to the estimator team, who puts your job in back at the bottom of the list of jobs they're working through.

Spend more time choosing a builder and know the positives and negatives and decide whether you can accept the negatives before signing... (there are posts here discussing the delays but people still go ahead and choose Mojo hoping it is not going to happen to them and then come here and whine that the builder is slow/delaying)

So just accept their crap so they never improve... i see

zerog101
RegVic

So just accept their crap so they never improve... i see

DON'T accept their cr*p move on before it is too late but chances are you will have the same experience with the other builder as well.. As I said, spend more time choosing a builder... don't go with fancy ads and a friend of friend said so...
Wait a sec guys just turning on the Ac with my actronconnect app 😁 oh wait i have android and its not out yet 😂😂

Getting a bit hot in here....

As far as putting on new staff i got a new CLO assigned 3 weeks ago. At first i cringed thinking oh no here we go i will need to wait while she gets up to speed. Nope, everything is working well and im getting replies usually within hours! 😄😄

Well i'm happy that you some are having a great experience with MOJO homes.
Our Colour choice lady and our electrical lady was fantastic.
Pity the rest of the admin was terrible for us. They have wasted 14 months of our time and by telling us move out way too soon, did I say we are already loosing $400/week on rent for 5 months?.....and then saying we had to pay $35000 extra, they have now blown our budget. They lie way to easily and I do not think the professionalism is there.
One part of the company does not know what the other is doing.
As for my hospital comparison....MOJO set up and didn't have enough CLO, Draftspersons, etc ...its like setting up a hospital with 1 doctor and 2 nurses..nothing to do with public and private...We signed our tender in Jan 2016...they did not have enough trained staff and made mistake after mistake.
I wish all the people who have had good experiences with them here the best of luck, but our main reason for going to public is so no one has to go through what we have been though and hold them accountable for the toll it has taken on our family!!!.
HopelessRomantic
Pity the rest of the admin was terrible for us. They have wasted 14 months of our time and by telling us move out way too soon, did I say we are already loosing $400/week on rent for 5 months?.....and then saying we had to pay $35000 extra, they have now blown our budget. They lie way to easily and I do not think the professionalism is there.
As for my hospital comparison....MOJO set up and didn't have enough CLO, Draftspersons, etc ...its like setting up a hospital with 1 doctor and 2 nurses..nothing to do with public and private...We signed our tender in Jan 2016...they did not have enough trained staff and made mistake after mistake.
I wish all the people who have had good experiences with them here the best of luck, but our main reason for going to public is so no one has to go through what we have been though and hold them accountable for the toll it has taken on our family!!!.

Everything you said is spot on. Especially in regards to one part of mojo doesn't know what the other is doing.

HopelessRomantic

I'm really sorry you've had such a terrible experience! I can imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be for you and your family.

I'm not saying we've had a great experience by any means, just an acceptable one. I'm just trying to another viewpoint.

I work for a company that experienced significant growth very rapidly and struggled​ to keep up with the demand. Whilst I do feel mojo could handle the situation better, I'm also sympathetic to the situation as I know first hand how easy it can be to let customers down because you can't cope with the growth. It's actually times like this that having a large parent company can be a hindrance rather than a help. Surely I'm not the only one whose faced the dreaded "process" red tape at work when you're just trying to get something done.

It's not ideal, mojo are certainly not going to be winning any awards for amazing customer experience, but I don't think many volume builders, or even custom ones in this current climate will. There is so much land and development happening, the customers will just keep rolling in... Until they don't.

Hopefully I won't have to experience the disappointment many of you have with expiring tenders, but I'm not relying on chance. I'll be politely pushing them along the way to do all I can to avoid getting to that point...I guess only time will tell how it goes.

ja-mez
Wait a sec guys just turning on the Ac with my actronconnect app 😁 oh wait i have android and its not out yet 😂😂

Getting a bit hot in here....

As far as putting on new staff i got a new CLO assigned 3 weeks ago. At first i cringed thinking oh no here we go i will need to wait while she gets up to speed. Nope, everything is working well and im getting replies usually within hours! 😄😄

Tbh I'm a sucker for a good debate! Guess i just love the heat! Lucky... I'm an android user too

I put actron in my cherrybrook house. Absolutely awesome AC **** on any other we've had LG and mits. .
But the wifi is intermittent. Says its on and you get home and nada. You switch it off and nope not off..

ja-mez
I put actron in my cherrybrook house. Absolutely awesome AC **** on any other we've had LG and mits. .
But the wifi is intermittent. Says its on and you get home and nada. You switch it off and nope not off..

Sounds like a Lifx bulb
RegVic
ja-mez

Sounds like a Lifx bulb

Exactly my thoughts! Or a wemo!

zerog101
HopelessRomantic

Everything you said is spot on. Especially in regards to one part of mojo doesn't know what the other is doing.

Agree. This has been my experience as well.

Related
26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

8/01/2024
Mojo Homes, Enigma 46 - Gables NSW

Building A New House

Hi all, We are considering Enigma 46 from Mojo Homes in Gables, NSW. Has anyone built with Mojo and any pointers and feedback. Also, if anyone has built similar design…

2/04/2024
Any feedback on Mojo builds on sloping sites and in Thornton

Building A New House

Hi, We are looking for a builder that can build a small home (smaller length) on a sloping site. We came across Mojo's Zephyr design 10.6 m wide and 11.5 m length. Does…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum