Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Mojo Homes

Page 42 of 62
Warwicks2016
happychild123
We have our colors in 2 weeks. Freaking out as we haven't done our homework as much as we should have. Any tips or ideas as to how to do it all in the next week or so? Feeling overwhelmed!! would love to see pictures of all your bathrooms and kitchens and wall colors too!! TIA

We didnt do too much homework.

When I built 10 years ago, the "builders range" was horrible. You needed to upgrade everything (at a cost).

The builders range Mojo offer is pretty good. Tapware is pretty limited, but still decent quality and on trend.
The tiles and carpet range is ok. We went with the printed timber vinyl floor thinking it would cost a bomb extra. Turned out to be less than a $1000 "upgrade"

The girls in the colour studio will help you pick colours that compliment. We had our idea on colours, and once they put it all together, our consultant, said "ok, thats nice" but we could tell she wanted change it up.
We told her to show us what she would pick, She lit up like a firecracker, ran around getting samples and came back with a better colour scheme.

When you have done the selection? What's is the status of your house building? Where your building?

private081983
When you have done the selection? What's is the status of your house building? Where your building?

We did our selection last year.

We are waiting (patiently) for the land to be registered. Due to a price rise, the LPI was inundated with applications, slowing the process.

North Kellyville precinct.
selections are done before final contracts and council. there's a lot of $$ there that could impact the build. Electrical is done anywhere after contracts and before or after council submission.

another reason to go hebel is weight. We wanted a low weight eco friendly build. as much as possible. Hebel with colorbond ticket the right boxes for us.. CB with anticon was an extra 6K on the 41 enigma.

I wish the FB building with mojo group was run more objectively. Its such a shame as its Easier for people to post pics and get feedback. Its nice to see stages coming together. Homeone has improved, but the android ap is terribly buggy now!

i will be a little more pro active pictures wise once we are in the ground!! at council not. evaluation stage!
happychild123
Thanks private 081983!!!

That's the thing....bricks, kitchen...we kind of have a vague idea (but love your idea of taking photos to show them)....but what are the "other selections"? Is there a list that will list out all the decisions we have to make on the day so I can go through it? I keep thinking I'm missing something, or some detail that will need more research? What do you consider to be ones that "needs more research"?

We're you not given the big red handbook on your walk though? It has all the items you need to think about listed in it and what's included vs what can be upgraded.

ja-mez
Bricks??? Pretty sure they are all hebel render unless you asked specifically for it to be bricks and its itemised in your tender

Thanks all for the feedback. The FB group is quite negative, but when I compare all the feedback it looks like the problems are arising with people building Shieke or Luxe facades and Mojo being super deceitful. At the moment their customer service is very lack luster (I have worked in the service industry for a long time and know customer service).

Also driving around looking at the Mojo build sites are disgusting. What's with them being such tight ar$es and not using skip bins. Builders like Eden Brae and Rawson have such cleaner build sites. If you actually pay attention to the little things, the more the Mc Jones group infuriates you.
I think youll find its on the subbies to remove their waste. This is the way the industry has gone. Up to the SS to ride the trades to clean up.

A skip bin on site almost always gets neighbours rubbish. Over filled. Bad access for deliveries whilst the skip is on site, too heavy or pickup is inpossible because the road access or service changed.....etc

To be honest i pass 4 mojo projects on the way to work everyday and theyre very good. I know of 1 at hillview rd which is a shamozzle. Hebel guys finished 4 months ago and their's still offcuts and crap everywhere.

Re rawson: infuriating to me is their lack of sediment control here on hezlett rd. Disgraceful air, noise and road pollution from 545am when its meant to be 7am. Plus Mass Debris washed into the storm drains. Subbies urinating in plain site...

what im getting at is each builder has their pros and cons. The reality is alot of people wont be happy unless they go custom house builder, for one reason or another they get caught up on the jobs issues and dont realise this is a mass production builder. Volume is the game. thats why their 400-500k house becomes 700k+ at a custom/prestige builder. I picked mojo for their design and pricing knowing admin has its issues. You wont find that at rawson, they paint you into a box too much from the start. Theyre turning over probably triple the number of mojo, if not more. Thats not to say mojo dont have to deliver the goods at the end!! They still do.

My question to you is if you have such distate for mjg to say they infuriate you why build with them? surely it sets you up for a negative experience...

i know youre venting and frustrated with your situation but as a whole they are one of the better guys around. Hope you get the resolution youre after.

When I built with Huxley, we had a skip bin.

It ended up being a dumping ground for all the locals and their trades.

and I was paying for every bin to be emptied!
Mr That Guy,

I'm curious about a few points.

We're building the Coastal façade with the Ecowood (or whatever its called) cladding.

Are saying they no longer use the plastic fake wood, and they are using real timber?
I agree, I'm not keen on that maintenance!

Also, when we did our façade, there were upgrades available.
The fine print says "Façade images are indicative only and subject to floor plan design"
So we didnt get the exact façade that was pictured as we kept it standard.
ja-mez
I think youll find its on the subbies to remove their waste. This is the way the industry has gone. Up to the SS to ride the trades to clean up.

A skip bin on site almost always gets neighbours rubbish. Over filled. Bad access for deliveries whilst the skip is on site, too heavy or pickup is inpossible because the road access or service changed.....etc

SS is employed by MJH, which means he should be on top of things like this. This reflects their work and the builder. I’m not overly concerned about the rubbish, it’s just another one of those things that compile to the big issue.

ja-mez
To be honest i pass 4 mojo projects on the way to work everyday and theyre very good. I know of 1 at hillview rd which is a shamozzle. Hebel guys finished 4 months ago and their's still offcuts and crap everywhere.

Re rawson: infuriating to me is their lack of sediment control here on hezlett rd. Disgraceful air, noise and road pollution from 545am when its meant to be 7am. Plus Mass Debris washed into the storm drains. Subbies urinating in plain site...

To be honest sediment control for any of the builders is p!ss week, you aren't keeping anything in there with a few steaks and the material they use for the barrier. Once again, everything here is up for the SS to control and maintain, Bill McDonald isn't out there checking the sites. The SS' are the eyes on the ground, poor and lazy performance on behalf of the SS' in my opinion.

ja-mez
what im getting at is each builder has their pros and cons. The reality is alot of people wont be happy unless they go custom house builder, for one reason or another they get caught up on the jobs issues and dont realise this is a mass production builder. Volume is the game. thats why their 400-500k house becomes 700k+ at a custom/prestige builder. I picked mojo for their design and pricing knowing admin has its issues. You wont find that at rawson, they paint you into a box too much from the start. Theyre turning over probably triple the number of mojo, if not more. Thats not to say mojo dont have to deliver the goods at the end!! They still do.

Let me preface this with, this isn't my first nor second house build. I have built with both a project home builder and a private builder. The reason why I choose a project home builder is because my builder couldn't start this year and I need the house completed by next year.

There may be some confusion between luxury and private home builder. I know houses by the likes of Millbrook, KDE, Construction by Design, etc start from $750k. But this isn't all because of the volume they are building. To give you an example Millbrook is just an offshoot of Elderton homes, they have the volume, they have the subbies. It's the finishes and service you are paying for, when you go into your colour appointment, they aren't offering you 400x400 tiles worth $14per sqm. Your also not building from a plan, a lot of the homes are completely custom designed.
Further to that, if you were to build with a private builder you have a lot more flexibility in what you are putting in your house. A private builder wouldn’t put bayonets for lights (unless you wanted it), they are already paying the sparky per day, they would just pay for an additional few days to just do the whole house in LEDs. Private builders need to take pride in their work as it’s all word of mouth.

For example, 70 downlights in my last house cost me $3500 (installed), whereas Mojo would charge $7000. Project home builders look enticing because the base price is very cheap. If you are looking for a basic home, I don’t think you’ll be building a sheike facade or putting in polyurethane in your kitchens. But once you start adding these things, your $400-$500k becomes $550-$650k which a private builder can do as they aren’t paying for office space, employees, marketing, display homes, etc.

The biggest issue with a private builder is;

Every project builder has admin issues, the sticking point is Mojo are pitched as a premium brand. When you build with Mojo, I'm expecting slightly better service! Just for some back story, the reason Mojo exists is because MJH piegoned holed themselves into building single story houses. With land getting smaller, they needed to expand the business, introducing Mojo homes.

ja-mez
My question to you is if you have such distate for mjg to say they infuriate you why build with them? surely it sets you up for a negative experience...

Floor plan and inclusions were the only reason.

ja-mez
i know youre venting and frustrated with your situation but as a whole they are one of the better guys around. Hope you get the resolution youre after.

Thank you, but you would hope they would have their sh!t together at bit more than this, seeing as MJH are one of the bigger project home builders in NSW.

Warwicks2016

And that's why Huxley is still around
. But seriously it's their building site, just like insurance, it's on them till hand over.

Warwicks2016
Mr That Guy,

We're building the Coastal façade with the Ecowood (or whatever its called) cladding.

Are saying they no longer use the plastic fake wood, and they are using real timber?

The fine print says "Façade images are indicative only and subject to floor plan design"

I can't comment on the Coastal facade as I never looked into it. Have a look at your plans, what does it say on the facade? Does it say timber or does it say biowood/ecowood?

You have to very careful with builders as they will show one thing but that is always an upgrade. When we went through Mojo and our sales rep (can't remember his name), we had some very specific question on the facade and they were directly relating to the biowood and the glass balustrade.
BruceThatGuy
ja-mez

SS is employed by MJH, which means he should be on top of things like this. This reflects their work and the builder. I’m not overly concerned about the rubbish, it’s just another one of those things that compile to the big issue.

ja-mez

To be honest sediment control for any of the builders is p!ss week, you aren't keeping anything in there with a few steaks and the material they use for the barrier. Once again, everything here is up for the SS to control and maintain, Bill McDonald isn't out there checking the sites. The SS' are the eyes on the ground, poor and lazy performance on behalf of the SS' in my opinion.

ja-mez

Let me preface this with, this isn't my first nor second house build. I have built with both a project home builder and a private builder. The reason why I choose a project home builder is because my builder couldn't start this year and I need the house completed by next year.

There may be some confusion between luxury and private home builder. I know houses by the likes of Millbrook, KDE, Construction by Design, etc start from $750k. But this isn't all because of the volume they are building. To give you an example Millbrook is just an offshoot of Elderton homes, they have the volume, they have the subbies. It's the finishes and service you are paying for, when you go into your colour appointment, they aren't offering you 400x400 tiles worth $14per sqm. Your also not building from a plan, a lot of the homes are completely custom designed.
Further to that, if you were to build with a private builder you have a lot more flexibility in what you are putting in your house. A private builder wouldn’t put bayonets for lights (unless you wanted it), they are already paying the sparky per day, they would just pay for an additional few days to just do the whole house in LEDs. Private builders need to take pride in their work as it’s all word of mouth.

For example, 70 downlights in my last house cost me $3500 (installed), whereas Mojo would charge $7000. Project home builders look enticing because the base price is very cheap. If you are looking for a basic home, I don’t think you’ll be building a sheike facade or putting in polyurethane in your kitchens. But once you start adding these things, your $400-$500k becomes $550-$650k which a private builder can do as they aren’t paying for office space, employees, marketing, display homes, etc.

The biggest issue with a private builder is;

• Fixed costs (a good one will be pretty spot on)
  • A reliable one that isn’t going to do dogy things
  • You not being able to see floor plans and walk into a display home

Every project builder has admin issues, the sticking point is Mojo are pitched as a premium brand. When you build with Mojo, I'm expecting slightly better service! Just for some back story, the reason Mojo exists is because MJH piegoned holed themselves into building single story houses. With land getting smaller, they needed to expand the business, introducing Mojo homes.

ja-mez

Floor plan and inclusions were the only reason.

ja-mez

Thank you, but you would hope they would have their sh!t together at bit more than this, seeing as MJH are one of the bigger project home builders in NSW.

Warwicks2016

And that's why Huxley is still around
. But seriously it's their building site, just like insurance, it's on them till hand over.

Warwicks2016
Mr That Guy,

I can't comment on the Coastal facade as I never looked into it. Have a look at your plans, what does it say on the facade? Does it say timber or does it say biowood/ecowood?

You have to very careful with builders as they will show one thing but that is always an upgrade. When we went through Mojo and our sales rep (can't remember his name), we had some very specific question on the facade and they were directly relating to the biowood and the glass balustrade.

It doesn't get any better with Mojo after the construction starts. We are already on to our 3rd SS within a period of 3 months and all these changes have caused delay of 1 months in spite of good weather in Sydney.

well i guess i will find out soon - council APPROVED!!!
application made 23rd of jan
approval 22nd of feb! yeehhhaaa

Onto the next stage we go!
ja-mez

Did mojo homes mentioned that they need to get the road access certificate and construction certificate??

ja-mez

Congrats! That's not bad at all time wise.
private081983
ja-mez

Did mojo homes mentioned that they need to get the road access certificate and construction certificate??

Not yet. Mojo probably dont even know its council approved yet. I have been keeping takmbs on the hills shire development tracking site.

As it turns out my clo is away untill wednesday, hopefully i can get some sort of.timeline from her then re starting on site...

CONSTRUCTION cert shouldnt take long
Road access no idea what thats about, what area are you in?

ja-mez
private081983
ja-mez

Not yet. Mojo probably dont even know its council approved yet. I have been keeping takmbs on the hills shire development tracking site.

As it turns out my clo is away untill wednesday, hopefully i can get some sort of.timeline from her then re starting on site...

CONSTRUCTION cert shouldnt take long
Road access no idea what thats about, what area are you in?

I got the approval from council two weeks ago and they said they have applied road opening access certificate after this approval they will get Construction certificate. Take another couple of weeks..

Is your sewage under the road?
Pretty sure road opening cert is when the need to connect into a service
Water
Gas
Sewage...

Not sure if that's always required. ..

ja-mez
Water
Gas
Sewage...

I think yes but not sure.

ja-mez, you're building in North Kellyville, aren't you.

I'm following with interest as we are a few weeks behind you.
private081983
ja-mez
Water
Gas
Sewage...

Yes, that is what the road opening is for. Its to connect your house to the services water, storm etc

tuckems
private081983
ja-mez
Water
Gas
Sewage...

Yes, that is what the road opening is for. Its to connect your house to the services water, storm etc

Do you know the time frame for construction certificate obtaining?

That one through the council or private certifier?

Related
26/11/2023
Mojo Homes site costs

General Discussion

Is anyone building with Mojo and have a recent site cost tender

8/01/2024
Mojo Homes, Enigma 46 - Gables NSW

Building A New House

Hi all, We are considering Enigma 46 from Mojo Homes in Gables, NSW. Has anyone built with Mojo and any pointers and feedback. Also, if anyone has built similar design…

2/04/2024
Any feedback on Mojo builds on sloping sites and in Thornton

Building A New House

Hi, We are looking for a builder that can build a small home (smaller length) on a sloping site. We came across Mojo's Zephyr design 10.6 m wide and 11.5 m length. Does…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum